Type I diabetes -- cure?

Warren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy Sarah, something you may or may not have heard about, but something you may want to keep your eye on:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article1637528.ece

Thus far, three years in, it seems to be working for most patients! The basic jist is the patient is subjected to chemotherapy to "destroy" their immune system (this type of diabetes is an autoimmune disease) and injected with stem cells from their own body to "reboot", if you will (I am trying to use lay language). I keep up with this stuff because I am a professor of biochemistry and genetics at a medical school, so type I diabetes is a very good model system to show the consequences of biochemistry gone awry. Take care, Warren..

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
Warren,

Thank you very much for letting me know about that. It definitely gives a little hope. I wish the US was more liberal when it comes to things like this. I'm not going to get into my thoughts on all of that because it could fuel a whole new fire. There are certain studies that I have read into but most are unwilling to accept Americans. Others were scary sounding to me with a high risk of cancer. This one doesn't seem so bad though. I definitely would do just about anything to find a cure, temporary or permanent. There are plenty of people in the world that would benefit. Please keep me updated if you find anything else. I really appreciate it.

Sarah

hippiepool

Banned
check out garynull.com ..... and .......macrobiotics.org .........for a somewhat different perspective on this.... oh , and also ....notmilk.com

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
hippiepool, thank you for the websites. I'm glad to see all of the advancements that are being made. It seems like many people with many different diseases will benefit.

Thanks,
Sarah