League Policies and by-laws

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started to play in a weekly league again after 8 years. The old league operator was kind of sketchy and wouldn't listen to anyone and we only played because there was nothing else to play in. A couple of years ago he stepped down and a new guy took over. This is not a paid position (unless your sketchy) so the new guy is doing the best he can after taking over. the league has never had a set of policies or by-laws written down and just ran by the seat of its pants. Now that I'm back playing I want to help out and start with a set of league policies and by-laws, I was wondering if there are people out there with league policies/ by-laws written for there leagues that I could take a look at to have an idea what we need to include. Thanks for any help given.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started to play in a weekly league again after 8 years. The old league operator was kind of sketchy and wouldn't listen to anyone and we only played because there was nothing else to play in. A couple of years ago he stepped down and a new guy took over. This is not a paid position (unless your sketchy) so the new guy is doing the best he can after taking over. the league has never had a set of policies or by-laws written down and just ran by the seat of its pants. Now that I'm back playing I want to help out and start with a set of league policies and by-laws, I was wondering if there are people out there with league policies/ by-laws written for there leagues that I could take a look at to have an idea what we need to include. Thanks for any help given.

http://www.sb8ball.com/sbpl_rules_110510.pdf

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I think you have a unique opportunity. Perhaps you can pen the rules for the very first Full Contact 8-Ball league in existence today...
First, helmets and shoulder pads....

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Rule #1: Don't be a douchenozzle

Rule #2: See rule #1

And to be more helpful, the Canadian Cue Sport League Operator manual may be of some guidance.

That's the first time I've ever heard douchenozzle. Is that something people say in Guelph? (I'm from Stratford)

http://guelph.cpaleagues.ca/RulesByLaws.aspx

This might help, the guy that runs this APA franchise has done one hell of a job. I believe he has in the neighbourhood of 130 teams last I heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not a paid position (unless your sketchy) so the new guy is doing the best he can after taking over.

I can't post any league rules, but a side note here: Maybe the LO should be paid, and maybe that's part of the problem with this league running by the seat of its pants.

You also could consider joining an established national league that would have all this set up already.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't post any league rules, but a side note here: Maybe the LO should be paid, and maybe that's part of the problem with this league running by the seat of its pants.

You also could consider joining an established national league that would have all this set up already.

we are a small 14 team league and we are sanctioned by the CCS that is the Canadian version of the ACS. We don't have money to pay anyone. We played so long with a LO that wouldn't listen to anyone and did what he wanted and we just put up with it, now we want to get things going the way it should have been. No one wanted to help the old LO because we didn't want to be associated with the crooked ways. The new guy is honest and trustworthy so the league has a better feel about it already. Thanks for all the help guys.

Mickey Qualls

You study the watch......
Silver Member
Whatever direction you decide to go as far as the LO getting paid, be upfront about it.

The local BCA league I'm in, the LO keeps $10 of the $25 sanction fee ($15) goes to the BCA. All the dues from the players, taverns, and advertising go into the prize fund.

And at the banquet every year, an accounting sheet is easily available to anyone that wants a copy.

Keep everything above board.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever direction you decide to go as far as the LO getting paid, be upfront about it.

The local BCA league I'm in, the LO keeps $10 of the $25 sanction fee ($15) goes to the BCA. All the dues from the players, taverns, and advertising go into the prize fund.

And at the banquet every year, an accounting sheet is easily available to anyone that wants a copy.

Keep everything above board.

That's the plan. Every cent will be accounted for and written down with everyone knowing where the money went. I don't think we will be paying the LO but we want to make the job as easy as possible.