WTB: Thread mill attachment for older CS

youngstownkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have someone who wants a custom wood pin. Does anyone have an older thread mill they would sell? If I can’t find one, I might have a referral for someone.

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you looking for the thread mill or the threading attachment for an older cuesmith deluxe without the leadscrew? If you're looking for that threading attachment, I have one.

Beau

JC

Coos Cues
I have someone who wants a custom wood pin. Does anyone have an older thread mill they would sell? If I can’t find one, I might have a referral for someone.

I made a video showing how I threaded on my first gen Hightower. There are probably a hundred different configurations using this basic idea you could set up and make any thread you want.

Even though I do most of my threading now days on my metal lathe I still use this for oddball threads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et_ZUmvGKOM

JC

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John, that is beautifully done and presented, especially one handed! :)

About 30 years ago when my only machine tool was a mill-drill, i worked out a similar method to thread parts including metric camera lens mounts on it. Find something at the hardware store with the correct pitch, plus a nut if metric, and use it to pull a bar in the quill through the part mounted high on blocks, with the nut fixed on another stand-off below. No live tooling like your router, so just multiple passes bumping the bit in the bar out a few .001's each pass. Gosh it was cumbersome, but worked. My most intricate threaded part was a 1/2" x 20 tpi acme LH thread on about 3-1/2 " of shaft for a cross-slide leadscrew. Bought a 1/4-20 LH tap and LH allthread from MSC to drive that.

My eventual first lathe (hardinge) only had chase threading, which is blazing fast when making multiple parts, but takes effort to set up different pitches. Sure makes (probably both of us) appreciate the Norton gearbox on a modern lathe!.

(NB for those following along - "Norton", no reference to the motorcycle but to Wendell Norton who developed the concept of a quick change gearbox with geometric progression of gear options, in the 1800's)