New to league = playing like SH*T

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone else deal with playing like total crap when they first joined a league? I can't believe how bad I'm playing, lol. Its killing my confidence!

Anyone else go through this? And if so how long did I last until you started to play like yourself again during league matches?

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What league is it? That will make a big difference.
If you're playing CPA in Hamilton it's a really weak division so maybe you're having a hard time concentrating. BCA in Burlington has a lot of good players and you only play one game at a time so it may be a touch easier concentrating on the game when every one counts. Hamilton men's league is a huge joke, bar bangers at best on horrible equipment.

If you needed someone to play some cheap matches against, I can more than set you up with a variety of skill levels in Hamilton. That may be a good test for CPA as it will be a full match. I've been super swamped with work but I like to play cash games occasionally.

Feel free to hit me up.

matta

Cue Snob
Silver Member
Anyone else deal with playing like total crap when they first joined a league? I can't believe how bad I'm playing, lol. Its killing my confidence!

Anyone else go through this? And if so how long did I last until you started to play like yourself again during league matches?

It's just nerves. Give yourself some time. You have learned to play pool. Now you need to learn to play league. Many people experience the same thing when they start gambling. You aren't alone.

Keep at it. Come early and practice before league for a few weeks. You'll find your stroke.

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What league is it? That will make a big difference.
If you're playing CPA in Hamilton it's a really weak division so maybe you're having a hard time concentrating. BCA in Burlington has a lot of good players and you only play one game at a time so it may be a touch easier concentrating on the game when every one counts. Hamilton men's league is a huge joke, bar bangers at best on horrible equipment.

If you needed someone to play some cheap matches against, I can more than set you up with a variety of skill levels in Hamilton. That may be a good test for CPA as it will be a full match. I've been super swamped with work but I like to play cash games occasionally.

Feel free to hit me up.
yup CPA, so frustrating playing some of these people lol. Yeah i have a friend that plays BCA in burlington on tuesdays, i might start playing there after this season, I play @ main a few times per week, come down any night sun-thurs and im there.

chalk is cheap

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
u will be ok

matt is right it's just nerves. after u and ur team play a few matches u will be ok. i think there are a lot of us that went thru this when we first started playing league i know i did. i was so nervous the first night i played i dropped my stick twice in one game.

HUD

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
matt is right it's just nerves. after u and ur team play a few matches u will be ok. i think there are a lot of us that went thru this when we first started playing league i know i did. i was so nervous the first night i played i dropped my stick twice in one game.

HUD
yeah my first night, i sent the cueball straight off the table lol.

its been 3 weeks so far and im still shooting like garbage lol.

pooladdiction

shut up and rack em
Silver Member
DO NOT worry. I play in the APA and started in 2010. I had played pool before but never in league. I lost my first 6 MATCHES in a row. I just couldn't get around the nerves. I had never had 15-20 people watching me before. You WILL get over it. I, now look forward to the pressure and feel it sharpens my focus.

schmizz

Mr. Nice Guy
Silver Member
Just anxiety, happens when you are new to a crowd and feel like you are in the spotlight. The best part is when you finally loosen up and start to feel comfortable, which eventually will happen and your real game comes out. :cool:

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're not used to the rules, handicapping, and strategy, it can be very rough for a while. You just have to find how your game fits into the match you're playing and slowly adjust things within your control to find what works to book a win. Good luck!

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yup CPA, so frustrating playing some of these people lol. Yeah i have a friend that plays BCA in burlington on tuesdays, i might start playing there after this season, I play @ main a few times per week, come down any night sun-thurs and im there.

I try my best to never go off the mountain. Lol.

I'll play as a 6 and you play as whatever your handicap is. I'll send my number, text is best. My schedule is just usually swamped with work so it's hard for me to get out and play. Maybe a few matches will get you back on track.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I joined the APA league this season. I've played in tournaments before but the pressure in league play is different because both you want to win and also you don't want to let your team down. My first week I was picked to play first. That was a mistake; everyone was watching our game and I lost hill-hill after missing what seemed to be a hundred shots.

I find that the first game gets a lot of attention but then after a few games the team members are talking to each other, hitting around on a practice table, and in general more relaxed. So you might want to try playing a little later in the night.

After a few weeks I've gotten to know the team and the APA rules, so I don't feel as nervous. I just feel my normal nervousness of playing competitive pool.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Yeah. Nerves mainly, plus adjusting to new/wrong rules probably isnt helping.

AMGprecision

Registered
if it makes you feel any better...

The first game of APA 8-ball league I EVER played the guy broke, ran one, and scratched giving me ball in hand. I was over-thinking everything so much that I lined everything up and fired a great shot into the corner. Problem was it was his balls I was shooting at. oops..

hon400ex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea, I'm sure its just nerves. My first night I played APA, I had a girl who is a SL3 take a timeout, and she told me that they would still be my friends even if I lose. My hands were shaking that bad. It took me a few weeks to adjust. In fact, I went down for a few weeks before i started going up. It was frustrating because I could beat these people in the local bar tournaments, but I was losing in league where the team was counting on me.When I went to a 3, I finally relaxed and started shooting. Now I'm a 6 and usually play as the anchor.
Andy

Hobart007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah my first night, i sent the cueball straight off the table lol.

its been 3 weeks so far and im still shooting like garbage lol.

From what I have seen, it takes most people a session to really settle in. People take some time to normalize themselves to the fact that there is a team there and people are actually paying attention to them. Plus, not knowing about the nerves thing ahead of time leads most folks to speak well of their skill level and then the first screw up just adds to the pressure that people are expecting you to put up like you said you could.

The truth is that everyone has nerves when starting and everyone else expects it. No one is paying any more attention to the match than any other match and everyone wins and loses over time. Getting rid of that fear of disappointing the team and of losing is the biggest hurdle I had to face when I joined a league. I don't think that I am alone in that.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Think about why you compete...either in league, tournaments, with friends, etc. It's usually about status, i.e. "I'm better than him, but he's better than me, my team's better than this or that team, etc." In your mind, you probably think your normal game is the best game you can play, at the top of your peaks, but that only happens sometimes. Usually you play your average. Under the pressure of competition, you want your best game to come out but usually it doesn't, so you aren't feeling like you are getting the status you deserve, like if you played your best game. Relax, have fun, understand that the pecking order changes all the time, especially if you can get consistency in your game. Be happy with any contribution you can make to the team. Try to be consistent, not great. Enjoy!
:p

Aten

m8
Silver Member
just nerves, happened to me in my first week of league too lol (0-4 :X)... I was okay by the second week though

Funny story though, the league I play in uses its own handicap system which is more based on the subjective judgement of the LO rather than stats... anyhow he'd seen me banging balls around in the hall and had given me a handicap, then he immediately dropped it after my first week lol... of course now I'm back to normal gear and improving every week and so ppl ***** about my hcp :<

Last edited:

devorator

Ipoolmyheart@thetable
Silver Member
Butterflies...

If I'll tell you that my first game in the league was a totally disaster, trying to be more than I am and prove to all that I deserve my place in the team, will you believe me? Actually for me was very hard, coming from another country, trying to understand the new league rules (crappy rules imo).
I can tell you now that I was 2 inch far from leaving. But I didn't cause I know I am better than that. My "advice" for you is to try more fun, think of your game not the spectators and play like you're playing with your best friend on a beer. I know you like beer...so go on an take it. I guess you know what I am talking about.
Good game and play your game no matter what!

PS: After 3 weeks I've started my BR and TR, just like I use to do.

Hope you'll be fine too.

Chris

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Figure out how to have your team's mental support to help you.

Pool is a lonely game usually. But when on a team, you've got more than yourself to think about. LET the team help you; stop fighting it.

Sounds easy, but...(always a 'but,' right?) it'll come to you in time, I'd guess. Have fun with your homies.

Jeff Livingston

schmizz

Mr. Nice Guy
Silver Member
There's a guy who is one of the best players on my bar league and he rarely misses a shot. BUT, he also plays on a travel league and on those nights his game goes to hell, because playing around people he doesn't know stresses him out for some reason and it's new people every week.