Garage flooring ideas...

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
So, I'm getting a new 9' Diamond ProAm delivered in the next couple of weeks...I'm putting it into the garage. I'm looking for some advice/ideas on flooring (gym mats, diamond rolls, etc.) that some of you who've gone before could give me on what would be good for standing/playing on. Should I get it before the table is in place? Wait and just lay it around the table? What did you do? I would probably only cover 75% of the 20'x20' garage, since I'll still have some tools, crap on one side...

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Enjoy the new pro/am. Will be ordering one for my new room addition this summer. Did you get dymondwood, or maybe I should ask if they are finally building tables with dymondwood at this time?

Here is a website that has some ideas for flooring for your garage.

http://www.greatmats.com/garage-flooring.php

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Garage floors are never level, they are not supposed to be. Standard building code is 1/4" slope per foot.

If you ever spill fuel on the floor, you want it to run out of the garage and not to the back wall and under the house. All slope must run towards the garage door.

IF you can put the table parallel to the door, you should only have one inch or less to deal with. Put it the other way and you will really notice it when you break at one end and then go take your next shot at the other end. You will level the table, I doubt you will level the floor but it can be done.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I'm getting a new 9' Diamond ProAm delivered in the next couple of weeks...I'm putting it into the garage. I'm looking for some advice/ideas on flooring (gym mats, diamond rolls, etc.) that some of you who've gone before could give me on what would be good for standing/playing on. Should I get it before the table is in place? Wait and just lay it around the table? What did you do? I would probably only cover 75% of the 20'x20' garage, since I'll still have some tools, crap on one side...

Vinyl Plank flooring. Great stuff for garage or basement.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Enjoy the new pro/am. Will be ordering one for my new room addition this summer. Did you get dymondwood, or maybe I should ask if they are finally building tables with dymondwood at this time?

Here is a website that has some ideas for flooring for your garage.

http://www.greatmats.com/garage-flooring.php

No, dymondwood is still not available--I waited almost 6 months and Diamond still doesn't have a sample from their new supplier, so who knows? I looked hard at the black phenolic rail cap, just couldn't go with it (didn't like the lackluster finish/smudging)...I went with Cherry stained Oak, with black epoxy "Diamond" logo. Tournament blue Simonis 860, 1/4" facings (making the pockets 4 3/8"). Bought a 2x4 LED for the light, should arrive tomorrow and will install with a dimmer switch. Cyclop standard color balls (I'll give them a shot, tried them once and liked them, can always get Aramith or Centennials if I don't like them).

I was going to place it length ways, perpendicular to the door, as I need to maximize space; plus, hanging the light if I place it parallel to the door will be tougher, based on the placement of the garage door opener (which has to stay). I'm going to re-look it today when I get home.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My vote goes for low pile industrial carpet... do the whole floor before the table goes in..
IMO hardwood flooring is awesome in your house, not so much under a pool table.
Carpet will quiet the room a little, and when a ball goes off the table... well you don't drive the CB off the table anyway, right?:)

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Squares

I have in floor heating and a concrete floor in my garage. The table was installed and I bought some cheap 2' x 2' carpet squares from Home Depot and laid them so I had 6' coverage around the table. Easy to install, just keep a straight line, easy to replace a square, easy to vacuum and not a bunch of money.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I have in floor heating and a concrete floor in my garage. The table was installed and I bought some cheap 2' x 2' carpet squares from Home Depot and laid them so I had 6' coverage around the table. Easy to install, just keep a straight line, easy to replace a square, easy to vacuum and not a bunch of money.

Did you use double-side tape to keep them in place, or do they lay fine by themselves? :confused:

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, dymondwood is still not available--I waited almost 6 months and Diamond still doesn't have a sample from their new supplier, so who knows? I looked hard at the black phenolic rail cap, just couldn't go with it (didn't like the lackluster finish/smudging)...I went with Cherry stained Oak, with black epoxy "Diamond" logo. Tournament blue Simonis 860, 1/4" facings (making the pockets 4 3/8"). Bought a 2x4 LED for the light, should arrive tomorrow and will install with a dimmer switch. Cyclop standard color balls (I'll give them a shot, tried them once and liked them, can always get Aramith or Centennials if I don't like them).

I was going to place it length ways, perpendicular to the door, as I need to maximize space; plus, hanging the light if I place it parallel to the door will be tougher, based on the placement of the garage door opener (which has to stay). I'm going to re-look it today when I get home.

Thank you.

Seems like the same story I received from Diamond back in early May; we're getting samples in at the end of the month. Agree with your opinion on the black phenolic finish, and will not go that path as well. What is frustrating is that Diamond still has the dymondwood front and center on their pro/am web page with really no time table for when it will be available. Seems a little like bait and switch at this point. Will search the tournament used market when the time comes for the dymondwood rosewood/tournament blue 9' table I desire. Walnut would be an OK second choice. Fortunately I still have 6-8 months before a decision has to be made.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see you're in DC; so I guess that garage is heated and sealed from air leaks. I'd think temp fluctuations would cause problems. Also, you could measure the slope of the floor and figure just how much there is to deal with. Some garage floors have drains and the slope would be to the drain. Same idea to keep a fuel spill away from the house.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I see you're in DC; so I guess that garage is heated and sealed from air leaks. I'd think temp fluctuations would cause problems. Also, you could measure the slope of the floor and figure just how much there is to deal with. Some garage floors have drains and the slope would be to the drain. Same idea to keep a fuel spill away from the house.

I just dry-walled it and I'll put in a roll-away HVAC/heater. Humidity is not an issue where I'm at, just need to moderate the cold/heat a little. Just drywall and insulation made a 10 degree difference in both directions, BIG difference. Won't take much at all to make it comfortable.

Floor slopes about 1/4 inch per foot to the door. Doesn't seem to be a big deal at all, but I'll look at that closely before the table is put in. I'm 6'3", a couple of inches variance end to end won't bother me, but I acknowledge a sideways installation might actually work better...if I can hang the light without interference I'll probably do that.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Floor slopes about 1/4 inch per foot to the door. Doesn't seem to be a big deal at all, but I'll look at that closely before the table is put in.

I'd double check that slope. Over 20 feet that's a 5-inch slope! Over a 9-foot table it's a 2-1/4" slope.

chesster33

Registered
Had mine installed in garage by diamond,no problem at all just have him raise it, I'm tall don't like a short table,my garage floor was not level at all,but table plays great,I put foam pads around table bought from Walmart,they use it for gym equipment,snaps together like a puzzle works great soft on feet and balls don't get screwed up.cost $120.00

raymondburke

Hey everyone I was curious what people are using for the floors of their shops like a certain paint or something I can lay down, We are in the process of redoing the shop a bit and I was thinking of getting a few good ideas first