Problem with Tom Trott cues

pool9ballscrubb

Registered
I just got my new Tom Trott cue.
Everything seemed good, it looked like it should, hit like i wanted it too.
But when i was playing with it. i was sitting in my chair waiting to shoot my next shot. and i was lightly tapping the rubber peice of my cue on the floor. the next thinng I know the ivory butt cap BROKE. now i waited for a year to get this cue and as soon as i get it it breaks. what should i do send it back and wait another six months to get it back or give it to our local custom cue maker to put another butt cap on it????

please feel free to respond...
Thanks.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Ivory is funny like that. I am no expert but I would change it to a ivory substitute if were to be repaired.Yes the rubber should protect it but it has no doubt had a hole put in it that causes it to be weak and possibly break again. If it were me I would see what the builder has to say. Maybe he will make it right. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
You should talk to the cue maker. Why do you post his name like he did something wrong? I don't think any cue makers warrantee ivory butt capps because this happens.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom Trott Cues

Not very many cuemakers recommend ivory butt caps because they are so easy to break. Most cuemakers I know won't use ivory butt caps for this reason. If you have another ivory butt cap put on I may I recommend a thin (1/8") black plastic on the very end of the ivory butt cap. From any distance at all it just looks like a dark shadow and the ivory butt cap is all you see but that thin black plastic will protect the ivory butt cap from breaking so easy.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were tapping the cue up & down, you may have been the culprit. I know because I have been there, done that.

Here's why. As you tap the cue up & down, slightly mashing the bottom rubber plug, it slightly changes shape. The change causes the plug to hydraulic or swell from the inside to the outside & the pressure is too great for the ivory cap (actually it is a sleeve). The outside sleeve cracks or breaks.

Good Luck next time...

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JMO, but you use an ivory butt cap at your own risk. I use one, but I fully understand that it can't take ANY abuse. And sometimes there's problems without any abuse. I wouldn't hold the cuemaker responsible in any way... unless he failed to tell you the potential problems that could easily come up and that ivory is not very durable as butt cap material. And if he didn't explain that, he should have.