Bustamante- 1999

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone remember watching Django play around 1998-99? I saw a couple tapes of him playing around those times, and I just can't imagine him losing to ANYONE the way he was playing. I've seen him play in person and on tape quite a few times of late, and although he is still playing world class pool, it seems like he is playing a ball or two under how he was playing during the late 90's. I remember hearing that he was in a slump, maybe a year or so ago. Has he ever recovered from his slump? I haven't heard of him winning any tournaments in a long time. The way he was hitting balls in '99 was nothing short of amazing.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah i love watchin busta play.......although i have to be careful when i do. I have a tendency to carry a lil bit of what i watch to the table and his style is murder on my game lol

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I remember Bustamante winning Player of the Year the year after Parica won it.
He just played lights-out that year.
I remember seeing him on the final day of the World 8-Ball at the Riviera.
He played Coltrain, Wetch then Archer in the finals that day.
On a brutally tight pockets Diamond table, he might have missed 3 balls that day.

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bustamante is still capable of playing lights out at anytime, with his big break he's capable of beating anyone and still capable of winning a world championship IMO.

k-carson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ghost ball said:
He also went through a tragic loss. I'm sure that's got to affects one's game.
ghost

are you talking about the tourny when his son died and he wasnt able to fly home do to weather , and his wife said play in memory of your son
if i remember he played on that given day as good as it gets

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
Yes, that was in the finals of the 2002 (or was it 2001?) WPC against Earl Strickland. And I think it was his infant daughter that passed away. All things considered, he really should have won that day. He's been in a slump ever since, but it seems he's beginning to snap out of it this year.....

k-carson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Renegade said:
Yes, that was in the finals of the 2002 (or was it 2001?) WPC against Earl Strickland. And I think it was his infant daughter that passed away. All things considered, he really should have won that day. He's been in a slump ever since, but it seems he's beginning to snap out of it this year.....

I thought he did win but must be wrong ,
didnt espn show him playing efren i must have been the semi-finals