wood characteristics help!!!

BobbyKut

hello. this is my first thread but ive been reading the forums for awhile now. dont know if this was asked before..sorry if it was. i was wondering if somebody can give me the characteristics of certain woods? i was thinking about birdseye, tiger maple, curly maple, bocote, and cocobolo. just want to know about stiffness, how durable are they, tendency to warp..u know stuff like that. jus wondering because im trying to get a plain jane cue made and i wanted to know which woods to pick for the forearm, handle (i dont want to have it wrapped), and butt. thanks in advance for any help anybody can give me.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tiger and Curly maple are a little prone to warping. Birdseye is fairly stable and so are cocobolo and bocote. Cocobolo is a really hard and heavy wood but still hits okay. Bocote is a little lighter and than cocobolo and has a nice hit. Maple produces more cueball action than bocote or cocobolo. I hope this helps.
Chris
www.internationalcuemakers.com
www.hightowercues.com

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Just had a plain jane cue made out of Mexican Bocote. It has the nicest feel and sound of any cue that I have ever owned or used. There is no vibration, and there is also very little sound. All you hear is the pop that sounds like the cue ball hitting the object ball. It seems as if you can feel the cue ball hitting the object ball. Makes the same sound all the time. It is a very clean feel. Hard to explain. I had it made by Jensen cue. The cue is very addictive. Once you start to shoot with it you do not want to put it down because of the way it feels. I don't know if it is the wood, the way Mike makes his cues or a combination of both.

http://www.jensencues.com/

Give Mike a call. He is very friendly and knows a lot about cues.