Predator BK2 Shaft question ?

Rob_jerrylee

Bustamante's # 1 fan
Silver Member
Hey Guys I've got a question for some of you that know more about this than I do , Now next week I'm taking my Preadator BK2 Shaft in to get turned down now one thing is that I would like to know is how much should I have the CueMaker shave off ???

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what is the reason for turning it down? different taper? want it to be thinner? or do you just want it fresh and clean?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Hey Guys I've got a question for some of you that know more about this than I do , Now next week I'm taking my Preadator BK2 Shaft in to get turned down now one thing is that I would like to know is how much should I have the CueMaker shave off ???

NONE, imo.

You should contact Predator and ask them at what point does your warranty become invalid?
JoeyA

Rob_jerrylee

Bustamante's # 1 fan
Silver Member
what is the reason for turning it down? different taper? want it to be thinner? or do you just want it fresh and clean?

Well the reason I would like to get it turned down is when I bridge on the table to break it's to thick between my fingers and second I want the taper to be longer . Hope that Helps

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
none, dont do it. loosen that grip a bit. Taking it down will void the warranty and probably any chance you have at a resell value. It is a fantastic break shaft once you locate the pivot point for it. Go to their web site and do some reading on it and then get to practicing with it. I got mine to the point it was crashing the racks. I felt like a kung-fu master breaking so hard, but cash man came along like always and I was forced to sell it.. :(

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
Grab a cheap used 314 shaft and put a phenolic tip on it. then you can save the bk2 shaft for selling time (if you became so inclined).

Rob_jerrylee

Bustamante's # 1 fan
Silver Member
none, dont do it. loosen that grip a bit. Taking it down will void the warranty and probably any chance you have at a resell value. It is a fantastic break shaft once you locate the pivot point for it. Go to their web site and do some reading on it and then get to practicing with it. I got mine to the point it was crashing the racks. I felt like a kung-fu master breaking so hard, but cash man came along like always and I was forced to sell it.. :(

I Called Predator and they said that i would be no problem to have it done so I'm just getting your guys imput first , I don't want to much taken off if i have it done so Predator said to send it in when i was ready .

FAST_N_LOOSE

<--THE AMAZING JESSE JANE
Silver Member
i called predator and they said that i would be no problem to have it done so i'm just getting your guys imput first , i don't want to much taken off if i have it done so predator said to send it in when i was ready .

if you're going to actually modify the bk2 shaft, send it to predator and have them put the regular 314 taper on it. That way you know for sure it will be covered if there is ever a warranty issue.

JAW725

Southpaw
Silver Member
I love the BK2 shaft! I'm thinking of getting one and retipping it for a player. I'm currently using the Fat Shaft and like it but the BK2 has a stiff taper, smaller diameter and maybe still lower in deflection. The 314-2 is great for me too but I wanted something a little stiffer. However no Z for me, I don't like any diameter smaller then 12.75mm.
The BK2 shaft was designed with that taper in mind, I would not change it my friend. I was just thinking of buying one but with the new BCAL ruling against phenolics, I may just get a OB Break Shaft for my current J/B ( Hard leather tip ).

Rob_jerrylee

Bustamante's # 1 fan
Silver Member
I love the BK2 shaft! I'm thinking of getting one and retipping it for a player. I'm currently using the Fat Shaft and like it but the BK2 has a stiff taper, smaller diameter and maybe still lower in deflection. The 314-2 is great for me too but I wanted something a little stiffer. However no Z for me, I don't like any diameter smaller then 12.75mm.
The BK2 shaft was designed with that taper in mind, I would not change it my friend. I was just thinking of buying one but with the new BCAL ruling against phenolics, I may just get a OB Break Shaft for my current J/B ( Hard leather tip ).

Ok thanks , I'm not the biggest fan of the Phenolic tips but I just may have that replaced with a hard leather tip , I used to have alot of control with a leather tip and since I've had my Phenolic tip I've had no control at all .

rayshooter22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since no one really answered your question...

I would get the specs from predator as to what the wall thickness is for the shaft is. Then have the cue maker measure the thickness of the shaft at this point. This will give him a pretty accurate measurement as to how deep he can get into the shaft.

The main thing about taking down a Multiple spliced shaft like a Predator or OB, is that the cue maker can't be as aggressive when taking it down. IF he forces the cut to soon then the splices in the shaft are liable to be stressed to the point where they come unglued from each other and disjoin. With that being said, it would take a real amature cue maker/ repair man to do that. And for your credit Im sure you wouldn't take it to someone who's inexperienced.

If you want to adjust the taper further back on the shaft, that would usually take off enough wood from the shaft so that you wouldn't have to shrink it down. So tell the Cue maker just pull the shaft taper back to where you want it, then feel it with your hands and see if its still too thick. From there you can have him touch it down accordingly, then seal the shaft by cleaning it.

I'd recommend putting a Samsara break tip on your BK2. I too like the leather tip and experimented with it for a while on the BK2 shaft before I got the OB break shaft. I used a SUMO break tip at the time and found that the leather kept compressing over the side of the ferrule and eventually cracked on me several times. I haven't had that issue with the Samsara on the OB break shaft.

Hope this was a little help, good luck with your venture and hope the change fits you better. Always keep in mind that just because someone else doesn't approve of the way something should feel on your cue... ultimately its your cue. So do what you want with your equipment and modify it to suit your game.

Best of Luck and Break em GOOD!!! :thumbup:

thebigstudmaj

I KNOW A CUE MAKER AND HE SAID THAT YOU COULD TURN IT TO 11.25 IN DIAMETER BEFORE YOU START TO GET INTO TROUBLE. WHICH IS THE SAME DIAM AS A Z SHAFT:thumbup: