More Calcuttas Needed?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I don’t know how many states that Calcutta’s are legal in and I’m too lazy to check out every state. If all or most states would legalize them I think it would be good for pool at least on the regional level. Purses would go up a lot w/o having to beat the bushes for sponsors that just aren’t there in this economy. Johnnyt

IplayBAD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Iowa I believe calcuttas are illegal, however if you hold a "Player Auction" I think it is legal, dont quote me because I am not positive hopefully some one else will chime in.

daphish1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Iowa I believe calcuttas are illegal, however if you hold a "Player Auction" I think it is legal, dont quote me because I am not positive hopefully some one else will chime in.

What's the difference between a calcutta and a player auction?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know how many states that Calcutta’s are legal in and I’m too lazy to check out every state. If all or most states would legalize them I think it would be good for pool at least on the regional level. Purses would go up a lot w/o having to beat the bushes for sponsors that just aren’t there in this economy. Johnnyt

How would that bring sponsors or add to the prize money? Calcutta's are just betting pools among the public.

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
calcuttas just waste alot of time. Alot of players hate waiting around for that extra time (usually 1-3 hours). Tournaments should have a calcutta after the first two rounds with a smaller field. Also, it doesn't matter if it is legal or illegal, tournaments have them anyways. Alot of players don't participate in these calcuttas for alot of reasons. They only add to the calcutta prize pool and not the main prize pool.

Reactions: rlw

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
I like Calcutta's for selfish reasons, since I am an auctioneer I have gotten some free tourney entries in return for running the Calcutta.