How to stop choking?

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am on this sickening streak of choking. I play a lot of 9 ball. I look like a pretty decent player until I get to the 9. Don't get me wrong I make it a lot of the time. But too often I am missing routine shots on the 9 that if were any other ball I wouldn't miss. It's really starting to get in my head. Anybody else gone through this? I'm at a loss and it's really pissing me off. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play in tournaments as much as possible. You will become acclimated to the higher amount of pressure on those shots.

TheOneGnat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had this going a while ago in eight ball. Best advise that I got was to play your last ball like you had one more. Pick a place where you want the cue ball to finish to pocket this imaginary ball. Obviously don't make it a four rail position shot. It helps your mind stay focused to the end.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The best way to stop choking is by employing the Heimlich maneuver. It's saved thousands of lives. Glad I could help. :)

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
A couple good suggestions already. Playing shape with the cueball off your last ball can really help, as that is how you play all the other shots (I hope :) ). Putting yourself in that position as much as possible also helps. You have to learn to love that nervous feeling you get when competeing.

But the best answer I think I could give you is having a solid pre-shot routine. If you get to where you instinctively do the same thing on every shot then your last shot will be just like your first.

Woody

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
It sounds to me like it's gotten so far in your head that you're almost expecting it to happen. That's a bad place to be in. Everyone has given good advice so far so I'm just going to toss in one more, the mental game. If you see yourself missing the shot, more often than not you will. Look at this diagram and tell me if you've done this one a billion times......just like everyone else I might add...

You get this slightly back cut on the 9 into the corner. Not a really tough shot shot but in no way is it a "gimme". So, you get down on the shot and you tell yourself "Don't over cut it." or "Don't under cut it" but in your minds eye you're seeing either one of those misses (I just put them both there as an example. Some people tend to over cut it and others tend to under cut it. I tend to over cut these shots) Anyway, in your minds eye you're seeing that over cut and seeing the 9 hitting that long rail before the pocket. But you tell yourself "Nah, not gonna happen" you take your warm up strokes, let her rip and *BAM* the 9 rolls right into that side rail and you leave a decent shot for the other guy. I'm going to tell you this, in that situation you made a great shot. Oh, you screwed up it royally, but you did *exactly* what you set your mind on. Bravo! So, when you get down on that 9-ball, whatever negative situation pops into your head, try like Hell to erase it and picture that 9-ball going in the hole. If you're down on the shot and you're imagining anything other than splitting that pocket, stand up, shake it off, look it over again and get back down. If the same crap creeps up again stand up and start over. Do not shoot that 9-ball until you are seeing it in your mind going into the hole. Sure, there are still going to be times when you're confident you're going to make it and you'll miss, you're human, it happens. But it will happen less often.
MULLY

CueTable Help

ThePoliteSniper

Fruitshop Owner
Silver Member
It is a good idea to approach every shot in the same way including the game- or matchball. You don't want to make the 9 to win the game, you want to make the 9 because it is fun to put balls in the hole.

Obviously the 9 always appears to be more difficult than any other shot in tense situations. There is no magic pill. But the right mindset and good funamentals always help.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

CueTable Help

I once watched a GREAT 9 Ball Player make this shot. It was in the middle of the set. He was leading the match.

This player took the exact same amount of time to shoot this shot as any other shot. He didn't just pot the ball and pat himself on the back.

He went through his ENTIRE pre-shot routine and shot it just like any other shot. You have to do this for the tough shots as well.

Until you have the discipline to treat each and every shot with the same amount of respect, no more and no less, you will continue to play the choking game.

It is critical for you to have an even emotional balance, not patting yourself on the back for making a tough shot, not getting down on yourself for missing an easy shot. ALL SHOTS HAVE TO BE TREATED THE SAME. You have to do the SAME THING ON EVERY SHOT.

There is no end in the match until the last ball falls and that means that making the 9 ball in ONE GAME is just that; a ball made in ONE GAME. There are lots more games to be played in your life.

All that being said, you should practice any shot that you miss in a match or a tournament or while gambling. Until you "OWN" that shot that gave you that choking feeling you will continue to fear it even if it is subconsciously. When you "OWN" it because you have made it hundreds of times, you will be confident when the shot comes up in a match and only then. Until then, you are hoping that you will make it.

This is a journey and it is not for the weak or timid. You have to be a MENTALLY STRONG FKIN BEAST. You can become this by developing your powers of concentration.

Face your greatest fear and make it your greatest strength.

--------------------------------------------------
OK, I took the time to RESPOND, now I'll ask you A QUESTION:
DO YOU HAVE A COMPLETE PRE-SHOT ROUTINE?
Don't be afraid to be honest and admit that you do not have one. MOST people do not have one.

If you do not have a COMPLETE pre-shot routine, google it up, find one, hire an instructor to teach you one, read about it in a book or on the Internet, talk to a good player and record their pre-shot routine, develop your own and use it on EVERY SHOT.

G'Luck!

Last edited:

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shift your focus to the task at hand and the mechanics of the shot like the speed, where you want the CB etc.

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you find the answer and your a rich man. Of course I struggle with the same problem Sometimes it's not just dogging the 9 but screwing position up on what should be an easy out of 3 or even 4 balls. What blows me away is that I can't even say it's nerves. we all get nerves. The extra kick of adrenaline is one reason we play the game.

So. I'm going to try another theory. This is me and I not saying it's you but if the shoe fits........... What is my feeling when my opponent misses and leaves me an easy 3 or 4 ball out? What is my feeling when I run a difficult first 6 balls and have nothing but the cream to take care of to finish the run?
What is my feeling when my opponent misses a 9 he should have made and he leaves me a makeable winner? Nerves? Fear? Doom? NO! What about stress, sweat, lack of confidence ,etc., etc. No! That's not what I feel

I feel joy, happiness, relief, the game is over and I am going to win! Yay!
BUT, and it's a big BUT, the game ain't over yet. That's what is missing
then. The relief is replacing my focus, concentration, drive, or whatever it takes to compete. It's not over confidence , I know this sounds crazy but I suddenly feel entitled to win. " I'll just pop these balls in and collect the dough,"

So I am going to start making sure that I am still bearing down when it looks like I can easily finish the game. I've got to keep competing even though it looks like my opponent has no chance. Winners do not accept what APPEARS to be the inevitable as the inevitable itself.

That's my new game plan. Oh yes! I just ordered a hypnosis tape too. (Just in case)

Last edited:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Dale

If you are serious about overcoming this frustrating mental flaw, send me your phone number in a PM. I will give you a call and we'll work through it.

Be prepared to work harder than you ever have before in your life.

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for your responses. I've read some things on here I can work on that I think will help me.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dale

If you are serious about overcoming this frustrating mental flaw, send me your phone number in a PM. I will give you a call and we'll work through it.

Be prepared to work harder than you ever have before in your life.

thats the best deal I have seen in a long time. Dave knows his stuff, you wont get a sales pitch. He is triples mart and triple generous to make that offer.

I hope your good Dave, I tried to REP you but it wouldnt let me, sorry. check in with me sometime when you havre some time-next week or anytime after, I'm buried the next 6-7 days.

best regards

eric :)

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
A bit of advice I got years ago was that some ppl miss the 9 because they stopped playing shape. In other words there isn't a ball after the 9 to shoot so a part of your routine stops.

He told me to play the shot to make shape on an imaginery ball. I never had a problem so it wasn't an issue, but when I am practicing I play to leave the CB where I break from.