Took long enuff.

schlangen27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I broke my straight pool high run tonight even though it is low only 15 balls but now it is up to 24 balls just had to tell some one.

daimion

Something Clever...
Silver Member
gotta crawl before you can walk, any progress is good progress. making progress consistently is the ticket :)

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Congrats and keep it up. You may be modest about 24, but right now that 24 is your 100.

nelldrake

Waterskier/pool addict
Silver Member
I broke my straight pool high run tonight even though it is low only 15 balls but now it is up to 24 balls just had to tell some one.
Great run. I am still trying to get past 12. Boo, Hiss. Sometimes I play really lousy position but am working on it.

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting into the second rack is a milestone. Picking and executing a break shot is difficult when learning how to play. I would love to know how to play straight pool. I play the game, but I'm sure I'm not doing it right, lol.

nelldrake

Waterskier/pool addict
Silver Member
Getting into the second rack is a milestone. Picking and executing a break shot is difficult when learning how to play. I would love to know how to play straight pool. I play the game, but I'm sure I'm not doing it right, lol.
There are a lot of good videos on Youtube of straight pool matches with commentary. This helps me a lot. Also Bill Maropolous (sp?) videos some of his high runs on his home table. Watching these can help your pattern play.

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a lot of good videos on Youtube of straight pool matches with commentary. This helps me a lot. Also Bill Maropolous (sp?) videos some of his high runs on his home table. Watching these can help your pattern play.

I play ok straights. Yesterday I ran a 47 with a bunch of 20's/ some 30's sprinkled in. I do need to learn better patterns. I might get Cappelle's book on 14.1 and see if that would help.

I have some accu-stats and a couple of Schmitty's videos. I just haven't put a lot of time into studying the game.

Thanks for the info. Rep to you

-Brandon

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member

Straight pool is not as easy as a lot of people make it out to be - or everyone would be running hundreds. In rotation games like 9-ball, you always know which ball you're going to shoot next, but in straight pool, YOU have to figure out which ball you're going to shoot next, and next, and next, etc. - and there's more of them on the table than 9-ball. Once you pick your break shot, you have to decide how you're going to pocket the other balls in order to get to that break shot. And if you don't have a break shot, then you have to figure out how to create one, so it also takes a knowledge of angles, opening up clusters, how the balls are going to react, etc. You also need to have a knowledge of the stack itself, finding potential "dead balls", combinations, etc. And good safety play is critical, or you could find yourself sitting for a long time.

It certainly isn't "pool by numbers"! :wink:

And congrats to the OP on a new high run. Like everyone else said, you gotta start somewhere.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Be proud of yourself because it is a nice realization! My sincere congratulations! I still remember the feeling I had when I broke my high run record last october.....

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
14.1-knowledgeable practice partner

brandon:

If you don't mind my suggesting so, you need a straight pool knowledgeable partner to make the best progress when practicing 14.1. (Although that's a double-edged sword -- i.e. make a mistake, and that "practice partner" may make you sit for an extended period while he/she's on an extended run. But even then, you can leverage an opportunity to learn, by watching, trying to anticipate his/her patterns and shot choices -- and why.)

See if there's an old-timer or two at your pool room that you can tap as a partner. A lot of times, some of these old-timers would just about fall out of their chair running at the opportunity to play someone 14.1, instead of the tired old short-rack rotation games that are being played all around them.

Looking back on my 14.1 story, one of the best things I ever did in my 20s was to do just this -- while I was in the U.S. Navy and stationed in Norfolk, VA, I spent a LOT of time at the old Q-Masters location (on Sewell's Point Road -- long burned to the ground), partnering up with some of the old-timers that hung out there, playing nothing but 14.1. I was a good short-rack rotation player, but I couldn't (or could barely) get into the second rack in 14.1. I solved that situation by practicing with these guys, and learned a LOT. I balanced the practice time between straight-up learning, and gambling -- I'd say 50/50. The 50% of "learning time" is where I'm playing casually with my partner, asking questions, and just in general taking advantage of the opportunity that these guys WANTED to share knowledge about 14.1. (This was during the TCOM days -- the movie just came out -- so *everyone* was playing 9-ball, and nobody wanted anything to do with straight pool. So I had a veritable "pick of the litter" of guys that were LOOKING for someone -- anyone -- to play 14.1 with, even casually.) The other 50% was some cheap gambling to use, right away, what I learned; to focus (an Andrew Jackson or Ulysses Grant on a straight pool game tends to do that ;) ), and commit it to long-term memory. This 50/50 balance proved invaluable. I credit my skills in 14.1 to this devoted practice and tapping the knowledge of more experienced players.

Too bad you're not closer (location-wise); I'd welcome the opportunity to play and share knowledge. But see if you can find a 14.1-knowledgeable practice partner in your area -- it's well worth it, and you'll fast-track your learning curve for sure!

Hope this is helpful,
-Sean <-- year's high run of 112, hopes to break that soon [year is still young]

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
brandon:

If you don't mind my suggesting so, you need a straight pool knowledgeable partner to make the best progress when practicing 14.1. (Although that's a double-edged sword -- i.e. make a mistake, and that "practice partner" may make you sit for an extended period while he/she's on an extended run. But even then, you can leverage an opportunity to learn, by watching, trying to anticipate his/her patterns and shot choices -- and why.)

See if there's an old-timer or two at your pool room that you can tap as a partner. A lot of times, some of these old-timers would just about fall out of their chair running at the opportunity to play someone 14.1, instead of the tired old short-rack rotation games that are being played all around them.

Looking back on my 14.1 story, one of the best things I ever did in my 20s was to do just this -- while I was in the U.S. Navy and stationed in Norfolk, VA, I spent a LOT of time at the old Q-Masters location (on Sewell's Point Road -- long burned to the ground), partnering up with some of the old-timers that hung out there, playing nothing but 14.1. I was a good short-rack rotation player, but I couldn't (or could barely) get into the second rack in 14.1. I solved that situation by practicing with these guys, and learned a LOT. I balanced the practice time between straight-up learning, and gambling -- I'd say 50/50. The 50% of "learning time" is where I'm playing casually with my partner, asking questions, and just in general taking advantage of the opportunity that these guys WANTED to share knowledge about 14.1. (This was during the TCOM days -- the movie just came out -- so *everyone* was playing 9-ball, and nobody wanted anything to do with straight pool. So I had a veritable "pick of the litter" of guys that were LOOKING for someone -- anyone -- to play 14.1 with, even casually.) The other 50% was some cheap gambling to use, right away, what I learned; to focus (an Andrew Jackson or Ulysses Grant on a straight pool game tends to do that ;) ), and commit it to long-term memory. This 50/50 balance proved invaluable. I credit my skills in 14.1 to this devoted practice and tapping the knowledge of more experienced players.

Too bad you're not closer (location-wise); I'd welcome the opportunity to play and share knowledge. But see if you can find a 14.1-knowledgeable practice partner in your area -- it's well worth it, and you'll fast-track your learning curve for sure!

Hope this is helpful,
-Sean <-- year's high run of 112, hopes to break that soon [year is still young]

Thank you for the advice Sean. I welcome all knowledge anyone is willing to impart. I would love to get someone who is knowledgable in the game, however there is no one in my area that plays. I have an occasional partner in the game, but we are both in the process of learning (everyone is learning, I am just early in the game).

I am in bank country, although I do love bank I just wish more people would play 14.1. Here everyone plays 9 ball, bank, and one pocket (I think the dcc may have an influence on that)

If you ever come this way let me know. I'll give you a place to stay while you impart some knowledge on me :)

-Brandon

schlangen27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am in barbox 8 ball country so there isn't much straight pool but i started to play at home to try to learn new things.I think it was about 4 months ago that i started to play it i kept getting to 15 then would dog the break out shot or make it and miss the stack or live myself in it. Thanks for the congrats every body shooting for 30 now.