never heard of such chit before

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
last week a fellow league player told me about a local tournament she helps run at a dive bar not far from the pool hall i usually play at.

since our apa qualifier was cancelled due to lack of players i and a few other league players went with her to this tournament and i won it.

i found out they hold one every fri and sat night. after league fri i told her i wanted to play in it again fri night. she calls the other guy who also helps run it and says i am on my way with her to play in it. he says aint that the guy who won it last week, she says yea. he says tell him its too late and that we already started. he also told her since i won it last week i had to sit out a week before i could enter again.

when she told me that i really did not think much about it and went home. she heads to the bar which is about 10 minutes away to help with the tourny.

tonight at league she comes up to me saying when she got there fri night they were just about to start and in walks 2 more people which the guy running it lets enter the tourney.

now i could have been there 10 minutes before these 2 guys he let enter late but did not bother going because he lied to her about already starting the tourny.

have any of you ever had that shit pulled on you ?

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The poolhall I used to play at, which is a very nice one, had a rule like that for their weekly 9-ball tournament. If you won this week you could not win next week. You didn't have to sit out, but you could not win. Everyone was cool with it, so I never gave it much thought. I thought it was a good way to keep entries up.---Smitty

If I enter a tournament, is not my intention to try and beat the best players? Or alternatively, do I intend to try and beat only the very worst players?

Let us conduct the NFL playoffs, but ban the teams with the top 10 records in the regular season. And we win call the winner of this playoff the champion.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I missing something? You couldn't play no matter what so isn't it irrelevant whether you could have got there before those other two guys?

Am I missing something? You couldn't play no matter what so isn't it irrelevant whether you could have got there before those other two guys?

you're very wise and have uncovered the inconsistency. maybe he was just testing our level of comprehension?

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is one way to keep the "Cherry Pickers" from including every ballbanger tournament in the area into their weekly income agenda. Usually those that win those tournaments week after week, rarely ever get up the nerve to gamble with a real player. Swindling beginners and laying down for B players is their forte. I like to call them pickpockets to their face, and I do.

This is one way to keep the "Cherry Pickers" from including every ballbanger tournament in the area into their weekly income agenda. Usually those that win those tournaments week after week, rarely ever get up the nerve to gamble with a real player. Swindling beginners and laying down for B players is their forte. I like to call them pickpockets to their face, and I do.

How do they respond when you initiate the namecalling? Do they admit the accusation?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

yea... the fact that he lied and said the tournament had already started.

it did not start until after my friend had got there.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i can see your point.

i do not fall in to that category. i am a frickin apa 5 and the tournament director knew it. i have played him in league before. he was not even there last week when i won the tournament, someone told him that i won it. my friend told me this was the 1st time he ever pulled that crap.

i have only played in a few tournaments outside of league and was wondering if this is a common occurance.

as for the gambling remark.... i did some in my younger years when i had some disposable income. unlike most players today i always played even, never giving weight and never asked for weight. nowadays the only type of gambling i do is buying lottery tickets :D

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would have been better for him to have been honest with his intentions.

yea.. that is what irked me off about the whole situation. if a td will lie about the starting time , what other kind of shit would he pull ?

just wondering if you guys have faced this before ?

like i said earlier, i have very seldom played in tournaments outside of league.

this is a weekly fri and sat nite tourney. non handicapped , race to 2. cheap 5.00 entry and the bar owner matches the pot up to 100.00.

last week when i played in it i knew most of the players as they also play league. maybe the td thinks i am an apa sandbagger or just dont like my looks, hell i dont know. i just thought it was strange because my friend said this is the 1st time he ever pulled this.

i think i will take a page out of bugzappers book and get in his face and ask what the hell is going on .:grin-square:

yea.. that is what irked me off about the whole situation. if a td will lie about the starting time , what other kind of shit would he pull ?

just wondering if you guys have faced this before ?

like i said earlier, i have very seldom played in tournaments outside of league.

this is a weekly fri and sat nite tourney. non handicapped , race to 2. cheap 5.00 entry and the bar owner matches the pot up to 100.00.

last week when i played in it i knew most of the players as they also play league. maybe the td thinks i am an apa sandbagger or just dont like my looks, hell i dont know. i just thought it was strange because my friend said this is the 1st time he ever pulled this.

i think i will take a page out of bugzappers book and get in his face and ask what the hell is going on .:grin-square:

I have a feeling I know what his response will be.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Why don't you just play the next week and win it again? Then sit out a week and then win it the following week? If he doesn't let you back in then tell him to shove off!!

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
If I enter a tournament, is not my intention to try and beat the best players? Or alternatively, do I intend to try and beat only the very worst players?

Let us conduct the NFL playoffs, but ban the teams with the top 10 records in the regular season. And we win call the winner of this playoff the champion.

You are comparing a weekly 5-dollar "dive bar" tournament to the NFL playoffs?
That's interesting, I respect your passion for dive bar tournament pool.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is never dull, is it Lorider?

well... league has been kinda boring lately. there has not been an apa bashing thread to get into lately either. been working a lotta hours .

so.... i got inna bar tournament and won it and now i guess they think i am an older version of svb or something and dont wanna lemme play for a week.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why don't you just play the next week and win it again? Then sit out a week and then win it the following week? If he doesn't let you back in then tell him to shove off!!

it was not my intention to go every week to try to anap it off for the money. as i said last week was just to shoot some pool since our league qualifier was cancelled. this week i was going to take my gf and just have a night out playing pool and hanging out with people.

as i stated earlier i just thought it weird he singled me out to not play this week when my friend told me they have never done it to previous winners.

it aint like i am a world beater or something. there were only 16 people in it last week and i know for a fact 3 of them are better players than me day in and day out. it just happened i won due to the luck of the draw and a few rolls here and there. as its been said many a time on here anything can happen in a short race. it was non handicapped , double elimination , race to 2. i just happened to go undefeated last week, i seriously doubt i can do it every time i enter it.

woulda been nice to pull it off this past weekend though, it had 28 people in it this time she told me.

not sure if i will go back, hate being around nits like that. but then it would be nice to pull it off every other week and make him eat shit.:D