Getting Ready For A Big Match

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
According to an article in Bleacher Report some time ago, having sex before a fight does NOT weaken a boxer physically, but it DOES weaken the boxer mentally. This is also addressed in an article in BoxingExperts.com as a mental, not physical issue.

Apparently, having sex fulfills a drive or fulfills a need, which in turn can ever so slightly reduce the drive to win. Hence most boxers follow the guideline to abstain for an interval of time before a boxing match, seeking every little edge to win. Most trainers advise accordingly.

Soooo, the big question is...........should a professional pool player abstain prior to a big tournament? If not, is their overall drive "to win" slightly reduced and are they hurting themselves, if only slightly if they do not heed the "wisdom" of the ages for combatants?

What medical, clinical, intuitive or other thoughts abound on this elemental issue for the human race? :confused: :eek: :p

Remember, DCC is "coming" soon..... So for those getting ready to do battle, consider this my mentoring post for today..........anything to help for a higher level tourney......

Will Prout

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nepoleon Hill taught about sex and its effect on performance in some of his books. He speaks of sex being the most powerful of human desires and how through the desire you can develop keenness of imagination, courage, persistence, and creative ability unknown to you at other times.

He talks about the use of will power to harness the sexual energy and allow it an outlet that puts it to use for your benefit.

He also talks about how having a sexual relationship with the right woman can greatly improve your life but sex with the wrong woman or women will tear you apart. It is interesting stuff.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
According to an article in Bleacher Report some time ago, having sex before a fight does NOT weaken a boxer physically, but it DOES weaken the boxer mentally.

Apparently, having sex fulfills a drive or fulfills a need, which in turn can ever so slightly reduce the drive to win. Hence most boxers follow the guideline to abstain for an interval of time before a boxing match, seeking every little edge to win. Most trainers advise accordingly.

Soooo, the big question is...........should a professional pool player abstain prior to a big tournament? If not, is their overall drive "to win" slightly reduced and are they hurting themselves, if only slightly if they do not heed the "wisdom" of the ages for combatants?

What medical, clinical, intuitive or other thoughts abound on this elemental issue for the human race? :confused: :eek: :p

Remember, DCC is "coming" soon.....

Will Prout

With two kids under five abstinence is pretty much a given. :)

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
If sex does weaken you mentally I suppose you have to consider whats worse, being off your mental game or walking around with a raging erection if you abstain??:rotflmao1:

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to an article in Bleacher Report some time ago, having sex before a fight does NOT weaken a boxer physically, but it DOES weaken the boxer mentally. This is also addressed in an article in BoxingExperts.com as a mental, not physical issue.

Remember, DCC is "coming" soon..... So for those getting ready to do battle, consider this my mentoring post for today..........anything to help for a higher level tourney......

Will Prout

From a personal experience, when i shoot pool in the morning after i weak up i can see the OB contact point clear as a tiny spot and it lasts at least two hours, when i come back from work, i can see the contact point but not as sharp as i wanted. Bottom line, if you have control of the time of the match, take a good deep nap, you will thank me.
Sex abstinence is good to make you aggressive for physical fight,or a game, pool is peaceful game, enjoy sex while it lasts. I hear a bar of chocolate half hour before a match boosts memory and concentration. Best of luck.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only man strong enough to do this.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're getting laid in a quality manner, frequently, then by all means abstain if you think that will improve your performance. I'm 56 and been married 33 years. At this point, if I could get laid 5 minutes before the match, I'm going for it. Even if it makes me forfeit the first game for being late. I can enter another tournament before I might get laid again. Now I would add, you should lay off of intense BDSM, water sports and all that crap the day before a match. That can certainly impact your performance mentally and physically. :grin:

It's all about priorities. ;)

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not the sex trainers were worried about ,it was the leading up to, the drinking the late hours securing said prize.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Motivator?

If you're getting laid in a quality manner, frequently, then by all means abstain if you think that will improve your performance. I'm 56 and been married 33 years. At this point, if I could get laid 5 minutes before the match, I'm going for it. Even if it makes me forfeit the first game for being late. I can enter another tournament before I might get laid again. Now I would add, you should lay off of intense BDSM, water sports and all that crap the day before a match. That can certainly impact your performance mentally and physically. :grin:

It's all about priorities. ;)

Or maybe it can be used as an incentive?

Many years ago, I was playing in a team event against a player several levels below me. Important match, big game.

Well, the fellow ran out from the break and his teammates not only cheered, but roared with laughter. Seems his girlfriend had motivated him by promising (in front of his mates) that he'd get a BJ right there on the spot if he beat me!

That "right there on the spot" didn't happen, but the story still tells well...

Last edited: