So how does everyone feel about the US Open breaking setup?

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those that have watched matches, or have been lucky enough to talk to some players, what's the verdict on the 9 on the spot and the Renfro's template rack?

I got the evening session yesterday and it seemed Ortmann had the setup figured out. Then right after his match I saw Shane dry break and scratch on the break a couple times.

Anybody know what the biggest package is? Saw ortmann do 3 I believe yesterday.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this setup . The top breakers like Kos, Shane were struggling and having problems . So it will not just be breakfest of best breakers . It tests other skills like safety, pushoit tactical play, mid and end game play.
Highesr package on Tv table I think is 4 by Hsu v Dechaine :)

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Wati, does a 9-ball on the snap count as a win? Isn't this rack your own?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I liked it quite a lot. I watched about 3/4 of the streamed matches.

1. It was fast racking. I absolutely can not stand when the players obsess over the rack for what seems like an eternity.

2. I only saw one single occurrence where they re-racked the balls. Earl asked Frost to re-rack on the very first match, because he said the rack was crooked. Frost did, no arguments, all was good.

3. I personally do not have a problem with wired wing balls, but I know others do. That siad, the wing balls were definitley not wired. Players were using a wide variety of breaks to try to make them. It seemed that the best chance of making the wing ball was to let the CB fly loose. That brought a lot of randomness to the shot on the 1. In contrast, when the players went for a break to really control the CB, the wing ball did not seem to go as much, or at all, on those breaks.

4. I did not witness a single crybaby incident regarding the rack on the TV tables. I heard of some as reported here on AZ, but, the players who complained about that, are crybabies in general, imo. Those particular ones are always complaining. As a fan, I don't want to see crybabies. If this rack helps keep them pacified, it makes me happy:)

Win all around for this pool fan.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wati, does a 9-ball on the snap count as a win? Isn't this rack your own?

Last year, a 9-ball made on the break spotted up if it went in either of the two foot-rail pockets; it counted as a win if it went in any of the other 4 pockets.

I have not seen or heard anything about the rule this year. So far for the streamed matches, only 2 9-balls have been pocketed on the break -- neither went in a foot-rail pocket, and both counted as wins. So I don't know for sure yet whether this year's rule is the same as last year's.