Earl strickland stroke analysis

demartini rocks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here is my attempt to analyze what I feel is perhaps one of the most complex strokes I've ever witnessed in pool. here goes.
earl approaches the cue ball, which is dead straight away from the intended object ball, with a distance of say almost away 5 feet apart.
bridge hand is placed onto the table, not on the rail. practice stroke-tip angled towards the "sweet spot" for draw. while tip is a smidge away from the cue ball in notice the forearm and bicep are not at an 90 angle-it's less.
after two warmup strokes he then backstrokes then the pause. at the pause he jacks up his shoulder and simultaneously raises the but of the cue.
then going forward the but starts coming down and the cue starts leveling towards his intended spot on the cue ball. then during the follow through instead of an elbow drop he does this "chicken wing" type of motion where the elbow goes away from the body.
I tried copying this at the pool hall recently. wound up jumping the cue ball off the table 95% of the time. just how does earl has such timing with such a process, where the cueball does not jump off the table, and the hit is so spot on?
how far off am I on this stroke analysis?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here is my attempt to analyze what I feel is perhaps one of the most complex strokes I've ever witnessed in pool. here goes.
earl approaches the cue ball, which is dead straight away from the intended object ball, with a distance of say almost away 5 feet apart.
bridge hand is placed onto the table, not on the rail. practice stroke-tip angled towards the "sweet spot" for draw. while tip is a smidge away from the cue ball in notice the forearm and bicep are not at an 90 angle-it's less.
after two warmup strokes he then backstrokes then the pause. at the pause he jacks up his shoulder and simultaneously raises the but of the cue.
then going forward the but starts coming down and the cue starts leveling towards his intended spot on the cue ball. then during the follow through instead of an elbow drop he does this "chicken wing" type of motion where the elbow goes away from the body.
I tried copying this at the pool hall recently. wound up jumping the cue ball off the table 95% of the time. just how does earl has such timing with such a process, where the cueball does not jump off the table, and the hit is so spot on?
how far off am I on this stroke analysis?
How many times do you think he's done it? The 'ol half-a-million? One million? Whatever the number that stroke is his. He owns it. Trying to copy another player, bad form or good, is an exercise in futility. I tried it when trying to improve at golf and it was a disaster. Gotta find your own road.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try dong this for Bustie or even Eferen ;) Compared to them, Earl's stoke is simple to copy. Many top pool players (outside of the Euro and Asian robot players that do drills with instructors non-stop since they are 8) have adjustments they make during the shot that you will not be able to duplicate deliberately with good results. For example, if you watch SVB shoot, often his elbow and arm are a bit to the side, then straighten out in the middle of his final stroke, especially when he uses spin.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried copying this at the pool hall recently. wound up jumping the cue ball off the table 95% of the time.

Are you down right crazy?
Earl has one of the worst (!) strokes I have ever seen! Please do not copy it.
It works for him, and that's all there is.

A stroke is the result of personal preference and each body's individual faults.
A good stroke balances them out and gets you a consistent result.

Watch Barry Stark and develop your OWN stroke - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDQiSi2iaA-FWw1J-cf8c6Q/videos

Cheers,
M

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try dong this for Bustie or even Eferen ;) Compared to them, Earl's stoke is simple to copy. Many top pool players (outside of the Euro and Asian robot players that do drills with instructors non-stop since they are 8) have adjustments they make during the shot that you will not be able to duplicate deliberately with good results. For example, if you watch SVB shoot, often his elbow and arm are a bit to the side, then straighten out in the middle of his final stroke, especially when he uses spin.
In bold..those people are the future of pool.
We Americans would do well to imitate their successes...............instead of hanging out in dumpy bar hell hole pool rooms worrying about who's carrying a gun and who will air barrel who and get away clean with it.
The Asian players have much greater mental discipline than we do. And they seem to be more refined as well.
Keep on truckin'
:thumbup:

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Criticize Earl's stroke all you want, but keep in mind he has an impressive list of accomplishments in pool that most of the players in the world will never achieve. That can't be gained with just a superb stroke. You have to make good decisions at the right time, know how hard or how soft to hit the ball, have the mental determination to become a winner, discipline, confidence in your game and the time to devote to it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go look up all the people in the World Golf Hall of Fame. Lot of less than "ideal" swings but they owned it and it REPEATED under the gun. "Pretty is as pretty does".

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Criticize Earl's stroke all you want, but keep in mind he has an impressive list of accomplishments in pool that most of the players in the world will never achieve.

Very important: Strickland's stroke works for him (I wrote that) and did very successfully, but it's one of the most horrible examples to learn from.
He's a self-tought player when he was young. That does not lead to good fundamentals.

I can't see how imitation will lead you anywhere... it will only worsen your own feeling and judgement.
All this whipping around makes me nauseous.

Watch asian players!

Cheers,
M

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More interesting to me, and I'd be happy to be corrected, is earls ability to maintain his stroke at a top level as he's aged. Has. It held up well?

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More interesting to me, and I'd be happy to be corrected, is earls ability to maintain his stroke at a top level as he's aged. Has. It held up well?

He can still play decently now, so certainly his stroke has held up quite well. In addition to Earl's obvious natural talent, one also has to give credit to him looking after his health.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Earl is done.

I wish I could be more optimistic but I can not.

The finger garbage the back weights...

smh...it's not good.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl is done.

I wish I could be more optimistic but I can not.

The finger garbage the back weights...

smh...it's not good.

I agree that he has gone too far with some of this stuff, but he is still a great player- he just won a tournament with other solid pros in it this past weekend. He still plays very well, especially for a 56 year old

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that he has gone too far with some of this stuff, but he is still a great player- he just won a tournament with other solid pros in it this past weekend. He still plays very well, especially for a 56 year old

I think it is all a matter of perspective... compared to today's top players, he is a step or 2 down. Compared to earl at his peak, a step or 3 down.

But earl at half speed still is a better player than most of us will ever be. Half

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl's stroke is sweet, all those criticizing should challenge him to a money game even though he wouldn't waste his time to embarrass you.

His stroke may not please your eyes but he gets through the cue ball CLEAN as can be, Earl hits a force follow with inside better than anyone that's ever played pool.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We Americans would do well to imitate their successes...............instead of hanging out in dumpy bar hell hole pool rooms worrying about who's carrying a gun and who will air barrel who and get away clean with it.
The Asian players have much greater mental discipline than we do. And they seem to be more refined as well.
Keep on truckin'

Yes those areas are where pool is hot now, but I don't like watching them play. Like many of the musicians they produce at a young age, sure they can play the notes, but they play the music like robots because they are told to hit this note at this time, not because they want to make music, but because they want to be good at it. Billiards has a certain art to it, when you have 1,000 players in a giant gym shooting the same shot the same way, you have no art. Do you want to watch Jordan or Bird play ball or some guy that can hit 500 free throws in a row sit at the line and shoot them in?

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl's stroke is sweet, all those criticizing should challenge him to a money game even though he wouldn't waste his time to embarrass you.

His stroke may not please your eyes but he gets through the cue ball CLEAN as can be, Earl hits a force follow with inside better than anyone that's ever played pool.

You won't get any argument from us on much of that. Well, except maybe from the guy who started the thread. He is an ass that creates new usernames and then posts with intent of insulting and creating friction. It is a shame.

Earl is a bad mofo, no doubt about it. I doubt there are 50 people who have ever posted on this forum that could play him even and not get trampled.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep on truckin'

And there is another slip up by the ass giver.

MchnSpEd's avatar, 'shoot pool, not people'.

Such a shit stain Michael riddick is...