Phenolic Tips

tigerallenyim

Hate has no home here
Silver Member
I dunno much about these tips, but i've heard much about them on this forum. So i'd like to know any information on them.... such as:
1. Can they be used on any cue.... that is of course, I would have to take it to a cue guy.
2. What is the ball-park figure for one of these?
3. Are there many types?
4. I understand from what i read, it's a one-piece. Does this mean that the existing ferrule will be replaced?
5. Does any one have a good pic of one?

I've had a Cuetec Jump/Break Cue,which works ok. But i have some extra cues and i am curious on what the result would be if i had one of these tips.

Any info is appreciated.

Thx.

JayBates

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. yes any cue...not necessarily, i install them localy without a lathe (just tip, no ferrule tip combo)
2. $1-2, cant remember how much each but i bought 6 phenolic canvis tips and paid 15 something including shipping
3. not sure...canvis phenolic, paper phenolic...maybe more? black and brown
4. you can get just the tip or have a professional put a tip ferrule combo on it
5. no i dont...Varney has some nice pics....go to any billiard website, they most likely have pics of them
Jay

tommy84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
German manufacturer Eurowest offers an "APF Ferrule" which is said to be an improved phenolic all-in-one.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
JayBates said:
Varney has some nice pics.
Here are the requested pics.
This is the 2pc type with the canvas-resin tip threaded into an unbreakable ferrule.

Attachments

• new breakD.JPG
    new breakD.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 269

i210mfu

Markus
Silver Member
tommy84 said:
German manufacturer Eurowest offers an "APF Ferrule" which is said to be an improved phenolic all-in-one.

Hi,

yes we do and will expose them at Valley Forge also. We developed this material late 2005 early 2006 because we where not satisfied with the phenolic. The APF ist not phenolic at all, it is fibre based. The phenolics tend to chisle (spelling) at the edges which causes them to crack after a period of time. If they crack it happend that the whole shaft cracked too. Therfore we looked for somthing more reliable. Also with an APF you can put english on the cueball. Ths helps with jump shots to play position al lot (follow and draw) and side spin for ther break shot.

Visit us at Booth 31 at Valley Forge, there you can test it...asl well as Elforyn ...Juma and of course our brand new Eurwoest Custom Cues.

Markus

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
I popped one ...

and had a new phenolic tip put on my Break/Jump cue for $15, and they did while I waited, 5-10 minutes. It came back off about the 4-5th break after that, got some $1.49 super glue at QuikTrip, and put it back on myself, and it has been fine since then.

tigerallenyim

Hate has no home here
Silver Member
Got one, but unfamiliar with it....

Got one done from Joe Capone.
It appears I have a 1pc type that is white throughout. Is this even possible to have this type of phenolic tip?
I would show an image.... but my camera has one of those special type of batteries that I have yet replaced.

I can tell you that I have broke with it several times and got great results. I just need to adjust since it is a different type of tip.

About the tip:
it's white, rounded just a tiny bit, and I have chalked the tip with no problems.
Bascially: It just LOOKS like a ferrule with no tip (I thought they normally come brown)

So the next question is:
Is the whole thing a 1pc.... if that's the case, I think this tip will last forever!

I am not questioning Joe.... I have a very bad habit of miscommunication at times, I just want to make sure I asked for the right thing.

It costed me only $25.

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tigerallenyim said:
Got one done from Joe Capone.
It appears I have a 1pc type that is white throughout. Is this even possible to have this type of phenolic tip?
I would show an image.... but my camera has one of those special type of batteries that I have yet replaced.

I can tell you that I have broke with it several times and got great results. I just need to adjust since it is a different type of tip.

About the tip:
it's white, rounded just a tiny bit, and I have chalked the tip with no problems.
Bascially: It just LOOKS like a ferrule with no tip (I thought they normally come brown)

So the next question is:
Is the whole thing a 1pc.... if that's the case, I think this tip will last forever!

I am not questioning Joe.... I have a very bad habit of miscommunication at times, I just want to make sure I asked for the right thing.

It costed me only $25.

the one your describing is not a one piece. you are refering to picone's white diamond tip. it is a fiber resin based tip he developed and is what i use on my break cue and jump cue.

http://www.piconecues.com/id4.html

it works really well. holds chalk, applies english when needed and very durable. he tipically sells them in on ebay in sets of 3 for like $14 and then you can take em to any cue repair man and have them installed for $10 or so. if you prefer phoneic, you can pick those up from poolndarts.xom for a reasonable price on the tip, but not on shipping :p

i'll post some pics for you later. they on anouther computer at home.

Last edited:

tigerallenyim

Hate has no home here
Silver Member
socks said:
the one your describing is not a one piece. you are refering to copone's white diamond tip. it is a fiber resin based tip he developed and is what i use on my break cue and jump cue. it works really well. holds chalk, applies english when needed and very durable. he tipically sells them in on ebay in sets of 3 for like $14 and then you can take em to any cue repair man and have them installed for $10 or so. if you prefer phoneic, you can pick those up from poolndarts.xom for a reasonable price on the tip, but not on shipping :p
you know, that's what I actually thought.... I guess that's what I have. It just seems that there is no tip. thanks for the helpful info!

Tigerrag

I recently purchasd the Fury J/B with a phenolic tip (one piece) and i love it. I get a lot more power with less effort. Because of the hardness it does take a little while to get used to. Only put about 1/2 to 1 tip of english on my break shot, no probnlems with miscueing yet! I played in an APA Top Gun Tourney this past weekend and consistently got 2 balls on the break in 8ball. I came up dry once put also made the 8 once.
I know some local repair shops charge $50 to change out the original ferrule and tip to a one piece but you can buy them online for $4-6 as piece. Hope this helps.