1-ball on spot, wing is wired.9- on spot,it's not?

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read this all the time on here, but I don't get it. How does what ball is on the spot change the physics of the wing ball's tendency to head to the corner?

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
The wing ball would hit about 4 inches high of the corner pocket. If you try to break the two racks you will see that it is much harder to make balls on the break with the 9 on the spot. I tell you something else to try...move the 1 ball about 1/2-3/4 inch above the spot and see how many balls just miss going on the break.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Because the rack is physically pushed forward...

Breaking from the same spot would result in the wing ball hitting higher then the pocket...

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you rack the 9 ball on the spot, you are not just switching the 1 Ball and 9 Ball.
You are leaving the 9 Ball in the middle and moving the whole rack up.
So the wing ball is not headed toward the corner any longer.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you rack the 9 ball on the spot, you are not just switching the 1 Ball and 9 Ball.
You are leaving the 9 Ball in the middle and moving the whole rack up.
So the wing ball is not headed toward the corner any longer.

Ah, ok. That definitely explains it.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I read this all the time on here, but I don't get it. How does what ball is on the spot change the physics of the wing ball's tendency to head to the corner?

:grin:............ ........ :grin-square:
I'm going to give you a greenie for the grin you put on my face

Last edited:

Bigdogbret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with racking the 9 ball on the spot is now the one ball is wired in the side. The top players will find the ball that goes and play it.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
The problem with racking the 9 ball on the spot is now the one ball is wired in the side. The top players will find the ball that goes and play it.

Oh I wouldn't call it wired. You need the right speed and/or cut angle. The other problem knowning where the two-ball is going to be. It's easier making the wing ball and shaping to the one-ball.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thats why they need a break box and 9 on the spot no dead wing ball and it makes the cut break hard
and the one is not so easy to make in the side pocket
just like last year the mosconi cup the break shot was not that easy