10 Ball Break

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your 10 ball break sucks what do you do?

* are you sure it sucks? What % of the time do you make a ball? How large is your data set? Is it enough to be sure?

* what research have you done? Is here your first stop?

* have you practiced your break? Do you record your practice sessions on video and analyze them? Have someone whos break you admire take a look?

* Have you asked for help in person from someone competent?

* can you walk away from each and every practice session and HONESTLY say to yourself " That was my very best effort. I left everything I had out there today"

You simply have to put in work.

Each table breaks a little different

The same table can change hour to hour(dirty balls or cloth, humidity, temperature, racking(even with a template you can get careless or lazy)

If the rack is perfect, conditions are stable, stroke is true, hit is accurate. Pick a spot to break from. Then, change speeds. Then adjust placement of the cueball.
Watch how others who are having successful breaks in that tournament are doing it.

Pool is hard.

Last edited:

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From center of head string, start off about a half diamond to the right or left. Shoot the head ball center. Start off with about a tip below center, like your shooting a stop shot. Then adjust from there until you get it dialed in to your liking.

Edit: Place the cue ball half diamond away from center, but outside edge of cue ball on that line. For example, breaking from the left side, you want the left side edge of cue ball inside that line towards center.

Last edited:

jimmyc

Registered
Someone put up a link to the Siming Chen learning to break video. I've watched some of it, and it looks like there's some great stuff in there. Anyone know of any plans to translate at least some of it? Thanks.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have problems with power start out with the wrist flick before using other much more complicated break strategies.

Also, hit the head ball......VERY SOLID...or its all for nothing.

OP:

I dont know your "complete" situation, such as:

Your health....back problems, shoulder problems etc...etc

I also don't know how much time you have invested or, how much time your willing to invest.

Having said ^^^^^^^^^^^. Keep in mind that to perform the break shot the Chen does takes many thing but, the two most important are:

1. You be physically healthy....no back, shoulder etc...etc problems.

2. You are willing to invest a LOT of time....many, many hours or it WILL NOT work.

Hitting the head ball squarely is very hard for most while using just their arm/shoulder break....

Lol....

Start trying to raise the butt of cue up and standing up all at same time while trying to "time" ......"all that"..........well, its a lot harder than it looks.

Again, its not worth the time/effort if you have even the slightest back, shoulder, elbow etc...etc issue because it will make the injuries worse and then you will regret it.