12.4 Revo vs 12.5 cynergy

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used the R12.9 for about a year and hit with the R12.4 enough to know I prefer the R12.9 of the two. I also had the opportunity to hit with the C12.5 many times. If I had to pick my favorite out of those 3 CF shafts, I would easily choose the C12.5. It hit super nice just like my R12.9 but was more solid, less pingy of a hit. I also loved the white "ferrule" on the Cuetec. This of course is JMO and your mileage may vary. I suggest tryin them out for yourself!

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I own both and the 12.0 prime m. I'm in love with all 3 it's insane. I have Zero clue as which to make my main shaft. I guess I should just keep the Revo my main since I've been using it the last 19+ months. One thing about the Cynergy I absolutely hated was the tip. Almost wrote off the shaft with the stock tip, put a g2 on it and it plays awesome. The taper on the Cynergy is super long compared to the other 2.

As far as deflection, Revo has the least, then Cynergy and becue last.

Forgot to add that it actually took me a little bit to get used to the ferrule on the Cynergy since being so used to the Revo.

Last edited:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there any 30 inch carbon fiber shafts on the market?
I know for sure about Becue c.f. shafts which you can get 29, 30 and even 31". It seems like Go Customs c.f. shafts you can also get in 30". Don't know when Cuetec, Jacoby, Mezz will offer theirs in extra length.

fluffybutt

Registered
I know for sure about Becue c.f. shafts which you can get 29, 30 and even 31". It seems like Go Customs c.f. shafts you can also get in 30". Don't know when Cuetec, Jacoby, Mezz will offer theirs in extra length.

Do you have a link for the Becue CF 30 inch, I can't find it.

MichaelEGR

Registered
I suppose I should finally make my first post after all these years.. ;P

A couple of days ago I gathered some data on the taper of the Cynergy vs Revo 12.4 as I have both. See at bottom.

I have had the Revo since October and put in a lot of practice time since then and got the Cynergy early January. Almost immediately after trying out the Cynergy I knew I liked it more than the Revo mainly for the taper. IMHO the Cynergy feels better when hitting through the cue ball w/ a closed bridge as you get ~4+ more inches of travel before significant deformation of a closed bridge occurs. In the graph the critical area where the Revo breaks the closed bridge is indicated in the start "warning overlay" whereas you can easily get through to 18" w/ the Cynergy / pro taper. I also don't mind the extra bit of deflection compared to the Revo. It's kind of nice to have the pivot point at 13" vs 19".

Anyway here is the taper data and graph:

S6XN5Gh.png

Last edited:

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^ Thank you for the data and welcome to the forums!

Cuetecs taper does indeed look much more comfortable, I'd gladly give one a try :)

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I suppose I should finally make my first post after all these years.. ;P ...

Welcome aboard (to posting). That's certainly an impressive first post -- good info.

But I've got to warn you. You raised your posts-per-day average to .00029. No telling what such a rapid increase could lead to.

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member

A couple of days ago I gathered some data on the taper of the Cynergy vs Revo 12.4 as I have both. See at bottom.

I have had the Revo since October and put in a lot of practice time since then and got the Cynergy early January. Almost immediately after trying out the Cynergy I knew I liked it more than the Revo mainly for the taper. IMHO the Cynergy feels better when hitting through the cue ball w/ a closed bridge as you get ~4+ more inches of travel before significant deformation of a closed bridge occurs. In the graph the critical area where the Revo breaks the closed bridge is indicated in the start "warning overlay" whereas you can easily get through to 18" w/ the Cynergy / pro taper. I also don't mind the extra bit of deflection compared to the Revo. It's kind of nice to have the pivot point at 13" vs 19".

S6XN5Gh.png

Yeah the 19" pivot on the Revo is quite sick haha but eventually i got used to it. the 13" would be much easier to get used to

rykr01

Registered

S6XN5Gh.png

Great info Thanks! Btw, what do you mean "pivot" point?

rykr01

Registered
Is one easier to maintain than the other (between Revo /CF/Becue)? I saw that Predator recommends having tips put on my a Predator tech. Are putting tips on a CF shaft harder than normal?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anybody know of a store/vendor that sells Cuetec CF shafts in the LA area? I'm interested in getting one but I want to physically test which one would fit my R360 butt. It would be great if they sold an entire cue to go along with the shaft. Maybe they do, but I'm not aware of it

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Does anybody know of a store/vendor that sells Cuetec CF shafts in the LA area? I'm interesting in getting one but I want to physically test which one would fit my R360 butt. It would be great if they sold an entire cue to go along with the shaft. Maybe they do, but I'm not aware of it

They don't yet, but should be soon. Thought I remember them saying they wanted to roll out a couple batches of shafts 1st, then they will be dropping a line of cues with the shafts.

MichaelEGR

Registered
Welcome aboard (to posting). That's certainly an impressive first post -- good info.But I've got to warn you. You raised your posts-per-day average to .00029. No telling what such a rapid increase could lead to.

Thanks, at least one more! I happened to run into sjm in NYC last month and introduced myself and mentioned I liked his event review posts (another great Derby one the other day). He asked my nick, but I mentioned I never post; he said that I should and might as well get started, so here we are...

Great info Thanks! Btw, what do you mean "pivot" point?

Natural pivot point / length. The spot on the shaft where you can essentially neutralize deflection by pivoting from center ball to the side of the CB to impart side spin. This effectively allows you to focus on just on collision / spin induced throw (CIT / SIT) when aiming. IE when applying outside spin essentially just aim to the left point / side of the pocket. It's also a nice way to quantify the difference of deflection between cues as well. Dr. Dave describes things well and has a good video comparing the Revo vs Cynergy. IMHO I only use BHE / back-hand english and don't bother w/ FHE and certainly not a combination of both. What you see in Dr. Dave's video may work for you though.

With the Revo (and other really low deflection cues) at 19" that pretty much makes it impractical to only apply BHE especially w/ a normal cue length. I'm tall / have a 67" cue and can with an open bridge use just BHE for a spin shot, but there has to be room for the bridge and it just comes off a bit goofy looking as it's not reliable at that bridge length to do the sweeping approach mentioned below. IE with the Revo it is better to just get used to the deflection and go about things w/ parallel sidespin or dip your toe into the FHE side of things.

However, the Cynergy opens up a lot of pure BHE possibilities as the pivot point at 13" is at a normal bridge length and falls in the pro taper area so is easily done with a closed bridge as well. With a controlled stroke (the hard part!) and bridge at the pivot point it is possible to aim center ball, take practice strokes center ball then sweep over on the final delivery to the side of center to impart spin; only need to go a tip or two over to get a lot of spin as long as the cue gets smoothly through the CB.

You can also pivot before taking practice strokes / final delivery and that is likely easier at first and only reliable way to do it with the Revo.

There is more to it I suppose for another day!

Is one easier to maintain than the other (between Revo /CF/Becue)? I saw that Predator recommends having tips put on my a Predator tech. Are putting tips on a CF shaft harder than normal?

I gather all CF are easy to maintain / clean / etc. The Revo has a red pad at the top that can't be removed, so as long as the person changing the tip knows not to remove it / be careful then all is fine.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, at least one more! I happened to run into sjm in NYC last month and introduced myself and mentioned I liked his event review posts (another great Derby one the other day). He asked my nick, but I mentioned I never post; he said that I should and might as well get started, so here we are...

Natural pivot point / length. The spot on the shaft where you can essentially neutralize deflection by pivoting from center ball to the side of the CB to impart side spin. This effectively allows you to focus on just on collision / spin induced throw (CIT / SIT) when aiming. IE when applying outside spin essentially just aim to the left point / side of the pocket. It's also a nice way to quantify the difference of deflection between cues as well. Dr. Dave describes things well and has a good video comparing the Revo vs Cynergy. IMHO I only use BHE / back-hand english and don't bother w/ FHE and certainly not a combination of both. What you see in Dr. Dave's video may work for you though.

With the Revo (and other really low deflection cues) at 19" that pretty much makes it impractical to only apply BHE especially w/ a normal cue length. I'm tall / have a 67" cue and can with an open bridge use just BHE for a spin shot, but there has to be room for the bridge and it just comes off a bit goofy looking as it's not reliable at that bridge length to do the sweeping approach mentioned below. IE with the Revo it is better to just get used to the deflection and go about things w/ parallel sidespin or dip your toe into the FHE side of things.

However, the Cynergy opens up a lot of pure BHE possibilities as the pivot point at 13" is at a normal bridge length and falls in the pro taper area so is easily done with a closed bridge as well. With a controlled stroke (the hard part!) and bridge at the pivot point it is possible to aim center ball, take practice strokes center ball then sweep over on the final delivery to the side of center to impart spin; only need to go a tip or two over to get a lot of spin as long as the cue gets smoothly through the CB.

You can also pivot before taking practice strokes / final delivery and that is likely easier at first and only reliable way to do it with the Revo.

There is more to it I suppose for another day!

I gather all CF are easy to maintain / clean / etc. The Revo has a red pad at the top that can't be removed, so as long as the person changing the tip knows not to remove it / be careful then all is fine.

When I see BHE described this way I have to point out that it all depends on the power of the stroke, especially with more English. You say that at the pivot point you can move your back hand to add english but you'll still hit your aim point. For the most part that's true but for power shots you'll get more deflection. I used to use BHE but I found that it messes with your stroke because you have to change the angle of your back and forward stroke

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a revo 12.9 two weeks ago and I am really liking it. Still getting used to how much farther the cue ball travels vs a maple shaft.

Debating on getting a meucci carbon fiber when they come out for a butt I have sitting around. Unlike buying the revo with out ever playing with one I will visit the meucci factory and try before I buy.