1885-1907 antique display

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Interesting pieces here

The used up ball has diamonds inlaid at the poles, engraved:
Diamond Jim Brady - 1885 - Reno, Nevada

Fancy ball for a famous businessman and philanthropist, and the diamonds are a pretty cool touch. Very old cut, but nice and sparkly

The unused ball is exactly that, unplayed and completely flawless. The finish is so good that you can see your reflection in it, I have never seen another so perfect.

The box is from 1907, made of scrapped Brunswick cues and parts from the factory. Exotic woods and veneers, a really handsome piece. The feet are small ivory balls. Inside the lid, it is signed:
1907 - Oscar Nelson

If you look him up, you'll find he moved onward and upward into Chicago politics with Al Capone ties. In 1907, he was freshly immigrated to the US from Sweden.

Lighting outside was tough, but you can see the reflection of my treeline and roofline in the close-up of the ball.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is an amazing find and what a incredible bit of pool folklore.

Just ponder for a moment how many others have seen these down
the decades and been touched, handled or used in different games
played by undoubtedly elite people. Diamond Jim was a character of
enormous notoriety, as well as his physical size & appetite for food.

FYI, Diamond Jim was known for being the very first person in New
York City to own a automobile (1895). He was truly a legendary name.
So you know this billiard ball was made just for him because Diamonds
were his favorite gem and he made a tremendous fortune in gemstones.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's one of the coolest things i've seen in a while!

Is the implication that the politician made the box? or just owned it?

Can you post a close up of the Diamond Jim logo?

were his favorite gem and he made a tremendous fortune in gemstones

Gonna google after posting this now that such things are easily possible :smile:

My impression had been that he was a high pressure railroad salesman, the biggest & best of his era, when that was the biggest industry in the US. IOW he made his fortune in selling everything it took to keep a RR running, anywhere, any time, in large contracts if possible. His persona enabled him to wine, dine, and otherwise arrange "entertainment" directly for the wealthiest owners and managers who could expedite orders to do business only with him.

smt

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
That's one of the coolest things i've seen in a while!

Is the implication that the politician made the box? or just owned it?

Can you post a close up of the Diamond Jim logo?

Gonna google after posting this now that such things are easily possible :smile:

My impression had been that he was a high pressure railroad salesman, the biggest & best of his era, when that was the biggest industry in the US. IOW he made his fortune in selling everything it took to keep a RR running, anywhere, any time, in large contracts if possible. His persona enabled him to wine, dine, and otherwise arrange "entertainment" directly for the wealthiest owners and managers who could expedite orders to do business only with him.

smt

The diamond ball was made for Diamond Jim - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Jim_Brady

The box was made by Oscar Nelson - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Nelson

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Already read those and others.

My Q's were:

1.) can you post photo/detail of the diamond logo on the ball - it would be interesting to see.

The used up ball has diamonds inlaid at the poles, engraved:
Diamond Jim Brady - 1885 - Reno, Nevada

2.) is there any attribution as to who made the box? Did Oscar? Given his early years, he may have arrived originally with the skills. Or not. Maybe he only acquired it, later in life?

smt

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Already read those and others.

My Q's were:

1.) can you post photo/detail of the diamond logo on the ball - it would be interesting to see.

2.) is there any attribution as to who made the box? Did Oscar? Given his early years, he may have arrived originally with the skills. Or not. Maybe he only acquired it, later in life?

smt

I'll take some close-ups of the diamond ball, and Oscar signed the box inside the lid. I acquired it from his family, who were aware of his time working at Brunswick outside Chicago

Last edited:

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
That is amazing! So many levels of coolness. A perfect untouched ball, one with diamonds, a box made out of actual Brunswick cues. All together in a cool package. Then with the owner and and history behind it rounds out a one of a kind piece.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I acquired it from his family, who were aware of his time working at Brunswick outside Chicago

Even cooler!
That was the missing info from your first post and in the bio i looked up.

Thanks!
smt