1970's/80's Brunswick Tables - Can be the Base Frame be Disassembled???

Robotron

Hey guys!

Need some help! Planning on collecting a late 1970's Brunswick Heirloom table tomorrow. (y)

HOWEVER, I found the original instruction manual online for constructing the HERITAGE (not Heirloom) and it says step one is to remove the base frame from the carton, literally the whole base frame minus the legs. And I found on the Brunswick history page for the Heritage model (very similar to the Heirloom): https://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/library/4444EA7E-4118-4E55-99BF-712822186511

It says: "Base frame is assembled and leveled at the factory for maximum rigidity and flatness." - this would match up exactly with what I am seeing in the instruction manual. This is technically for the Heritage table, but the Heirloom is VERY similar, and same age.

This has me worried that the base frames maybe cannot be disassembled on the older Brunswicks at all??? Seems odd, but if they glue the frame during assembly at the factory then it's going to cause a big headache!!

Anyone here have any experience with Brunswick tables of this era, and if so SURELY (???) the base frames can be disassembled? Please say yes, lol!!! o_O

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys!

Need some help! Planning on collecting a late 1970's Brunswick Heirloom table tomorrow. (y)

HOWEVER, I found the original instruction manual online for constructing the HERITAGE (not Heirloom) and it says step one is to remove the base frame from the carton, literally the whole base frame minus the legs. And I found on the Brunswick history page for the Heritage model (very similar to the Heirloom): https://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/library/4444EA7E-4118-4E55-99BF-712822186511

It says: "Base frame is assembled and leveled at the factory for maximum rigidity and flatness." - this would match up exactly with what I am seeing in the instruction manual. This is technically for the Heritage table, but the Heirloom is VERY similar, and same age.

This has me worried that the base frames maybe cannot be disassembled on the older Brunswicks at all??? Seems odd, but if they glue the frame during assembly at the factory then it's going to cause a big headache!!

Anyone here have any experience with Brunswick tables of this era, and if so SURELY (???) the base frames can be disassembled? Please say yes, lol!!! o_O
Might put this in "Ask a Mechanic' section for more traction. I'm no table tech but i don't see why you couldn't take apart/reassemble/level the frame. Might call B'wick: 800-336-8771

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found a good image online of the Heirloom frame:

This is when a professional moving company moved one. They moved the frame complete, because they could, and have an open flatbed trailer, and this will save them a lot of time. But you can see the frame quite clearly in that image.
Pretty sure they aren't shipped from factory already assembled. By that time B'wick was already importing table and they would have been shipped in a knock-down state and assembled here. How are the frame sides and legs attached to each other? Looks like they're bolted together.

Robotron

The legs are hollow and they bolt on to the base frame itself.

Agree that shipping them already constructed all around the country seems like madness, but it does say:

https://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/library/4444EA7E-4118-4E55-99BF-712822186511

It says: "Base frame is assembled and leveled at the factory for maximum rigidity and flatness."

And in the instruction manual: http://www.billiardsforum.com/file/...unswick-heritage-DG-1-installation-manual.pdf

[for the Heritage, a very similar model to the Heirloom] Step 1 is to remove the entire base frame from the carton. So it suggests, as mad as it sounds, that at the time they supplied the base frame pre-made (without legs).

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 154

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Agree that shipping them already constructed all around the country seems like madness, but it does say:

https://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/library/4444EA7E-4118-4E55-99BF-712822186511

It says: "Base frame is assembled and leveled at the factory for maximum rigidity and flatness."

And in the instruction manual: http://www.billiardsforum.com/file/view?f=/file/manuals/brunswick/1976-brunswick-heritage-DG-1-installation-manual.pdf

[for the Heritage, a very similar model to the Heirloom] Step 1 is to remove the entire base frame from the carton. So it suggests, as mad as it sounds, that at the time they supplied the base frame pre-made (without legs).
Makes me think there MAY be some adhesive of some sort in that frame box. Ask toledotrent in the Mechanic section. I'm sure he's seen a few of these.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to the manual it's clear it was shipped assembled. But then, anything can be taken apart!

Last edited:

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Brunswick is older and it is shipped assembled. I believe the Gold Crowns frames were exactly like my frame for my Centennial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robotron

Hey chevybob20, does that mean that it was moved (for you) with base frame assembled? It seems to be that they were shipped from the factory assembled for (almost!) sure, but interested (need!) to know if it can be disassembled?

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Brunswick is older and it is shipped assembled. I believe the Gold Crowns frames were exactly like my frame for my Centennial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I sincerely doubt your Centennial was shipped assembled as I think you are asserting. The base frame is identical to the Gold Crown, even the way it attaches to the legs. According to the Centennial manual, step two is to assemble the base frame.

But then, maybe your Brunswick and your Centennial are two different tables?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And in the instruction manual: http://www.billiardsforum.com/file/view?f=/file/manuals/brunswick/1976-brunswick-heritage-DG-1-installation-manual.pdf

I think they are saying they assemble it and get it level...so you know it should go back together well.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just do what you want, it’s not going to hurt anything to disassemble the frame. Just make sure you match mark everything so that you can reassemble exactly how the factory assembled the frame.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just do what you want, it’s not going to hurt anything to disassemble the frame. Just make sure you match mark everything so that you can reassemble exactly how the factory assembled the frame.
I would match-mark the pieces very carefully, i.e., accurately. I could be that this base frame was shipped assembled because it was built on a jig, to ensure it was flat, with no twists, etc. So, you want to preserve the exact alignment of all the parts.

Draw an arrowhead across two mated pieces with a pencil.

Robotron

Hey guys!

An update for those interested, or anyone in the future doing a Google search for the Brunswick Heirloom table and needing, as I did, some advice on dismantling.

So, all went really well on collection day. The base does indeed fully (and easily!!) dismantle. There are no sections that are glued, it is designed to be dismantled.

First of all, a big up to Randy from Schaffer Installations (www.PoolTableGuy.com) as I saw on his website he had an Hierloom for sale: http://www.schafferinstallations.com/id74.html - So I sent him a message, and his reply came through on the morning of collection and he was REALLY helpful and told me he never sold that table, and actually decided to keep it for himself, and confirmed that the base frame easily dismantles and gave me some tips and general help. Great guy!

So, that put my mind at rest greatly for the day of collection, thank you Randy!

Ok, so there is a decorative trim all the way around that hides the sides of the slate, and those are just attached on small brackets with screws.

Unscrew the pocket leather straps from underneath.

Rails bolt on exactly as expected from underneath.

The pockets are the standard type that have a machine screw on the underside, and metal 'dowels' that fit into the ends of the rails. Completely standard.

The slates are heavy, especially on the 9ft like this one!! 1 inch slate on 1 inch timber framing. They have screws passing down from the top, as normal, to attach the slates to the frame.

All pretty standard stuff so far.

So, on to the base frame...

In each corner there are two decorative trim 'strips' on the outside (visible in the image I added above). Youw ill see that one on the two pieces covers that gap between the two pieces of frame (side and end).

That one needs to come off. It has nails, put something thin in behind and gently pry it off. It's quite delicate wood to be careful with it!!

The central H shaped frame in the centre just lifts straght out, no glue, no fixings. To dismantle the three pieces of timber making up this H shape, there are bolts on either side (visible in the image), just unbolt these. Simple.

The legs are hollow, and inside the legs you will find two bolts connecting to each side/end piece of the frame (so each leg contains 4 bolts total). Zip those bolts out whilst someone holds the section you are unbolting. Simple as that. With the bolts removed you end up with four legs, two sides, and two ends. Fully dismantled.

So, all in all pretty easy!!!

A couple of things I'd like to add for others reading this seeking Heirloom information: there is a link found when Googling on a pool forum where a user links the user manual for someone thinking of buying an Heirloom, but actually it's the manual for the HERITAGE and not the Heirloom! This manual advises that the frame come supplied pre-built at the factory. I think that this IS the case for the Heritage as that model came with an optional ball return system so was more complex. But the Hierloom almost certainly did not come with a pre-assembled base frame. It would have come flat-packed and is fully designed to be taken apart (easily too!) So worth noting and not getting the two confused or comparing them (as I did).

Hope that's helpful for anyone looking at the Heirloom table in the future!