1984 Ray Schuler?

Bill M

New member
I'm hoping some of the Schuler experts here can help me identify a cue I've owned since 1984.

I purchased it at Ace Billiard Supply Co. in Denver, Colorado, on November 1, 1984. The salesman was Doug Walters. I still have the original receipt and the dealer's card.

The receipt shows: CUE — $169.95 CASE — $24.95

The cue has two shafts and is a fairly plain design: Birdseye maple, green/black speckled Irish linen wrap, white butt cap, black bumper, and dark rings. There are no visible points or elaborate inlays.

The cue weighs 20½ oz., and the shafts are 13 mm. The joint has a brass-colored male pin and a metal female insert. The threaded portion of the male pin measures approximately 5/16 inch across. There is no visible signature or logo on the cue.

One thing I have noticed is a clearly visible “911” marking on the wood immediately next to the female joint of the upper/narrower shaft. It has been there since I bought the cue. I don't see any corresponding number on the butt or the other shaft.

The cue has been stored for most of the past 40+ years and is in exceptionally good condition. Both shafts and the butt roll very well, and the joint is extremely tight.

I'm particularly interested in two things:

1. Is this likely to be an original Ray Schuler cue from around 1984? When I bought it, the salesman mentioned that is was. I think he said that he didn’t have the paperwork on it but that it probably could be gotten from Chicago if I was interested. I was not at the time.

2. Does anyone know what the “911” marking on the shaft means?


I would appreciate any information from people familiar with Ray Schuler cues, particularly cues from the 1980–1985 period.

Thank you.
 

Attachments

  • Cue1.jpg
    Cue1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Cue2.jpg
    Cue2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Cue3.jpg
    Cue3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 42
  • Cue4.jpg
    Cue4.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Cue5.jpg
    Cue5.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Cue6.jpg
    Cue6.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Cue7.jpg
    Cue7.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Cue8.jpg
    Cue8.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 43
Thank you. I went back and looked at it again, and I think you may be right that it is 116 rather than 911. It is very small, and I originally read it as 911. The possibility that it is 116 grams makes a lot of sense. Interestingly, the dealer's handwritten card also contains “472/116/750 P.” Do you know whether Schuler marked shaft weights in grams on the shaft itself? And if so, does the “P” indicate a taper?
 
Thank you. I went back and looked at it again, and I think you may be right that it is 116 rather than 911. It is very small, and I originally read it as 911. The possibility that it is 116 grams makes a lot of sense. Interestingly, the dealer's handwritten card also contains “472/116/750 P.” Do you know whether Schuler marked shaft weights in grams on the shaft itself? And if so, does the “P” indicate a taper?
I am pretty sure he did and the P is most likely for Pro taper. Years ago I could find this info easily, but now it is hard to find
 
Thanks. That is very helpful. The fact that the dealer's card has “472/116/750 P” and the shaft itself appears to be marked “116” makes me think we're getting somewhere. I appreciate you sharing what you remember about the older Schuler information.
 
750mm ≈ 29.5in. It looks like about 1in is lost at the joint when assembled, which would mean a 58" cue, if "750" is a length value.
 
750mm ≈ 29.5in. It looks like about 1in is lost at the joint when assembled, which would mean a 58" cue, if "750" is a length value.
That's interesting. I just measured the assembled cue, and it is exactly 58 inches. So 750 mm being a length measurement certainly seems possible. Thanks for pointing that out.
 
Back
Top