2 1/8" balls

Shady

Hey all, 72 yr. old newbie here. I've read pretty much every post and learned a lot but can't find the answer to my question. I bought a 100 yr. old Brunswick "Madison" and we've been playing a snooker like game using Aramith 2-1/4" balls. The nose of the cushion is 1-7/16" high which appears to be right at the magic 63% of the ball height. Can anyone tell me if a 2-1/8" ball would have an acceptable reaction to that cushion nose height? I'm still toying with the idea of converting it into a 9' american style snooker table but that's another story. Thanks in advance for any help and thanks in general for being there. Shady

Geosnookery

I can’t answer your question directly. I have a 12’ Nationsl Snooker table and a 9’ Dufferin American style pool table. ( both Canadian makes). Your table must be a gem.

I play Snooker and American pool on both….and use 21/8 abd 2 1/4 inch Aramith balls on both. I can’t tell a difference in reaction of the rails. We also play with both size balls on our Legiin tables and, again, I never notice any difference.

Sometimes I read a comment on different impact on the balls but wonder if they have actually tried. Also, there can be difference berween different table brands so I’m not sure it’s the rail height.

I’m far from an expert on tables and only a decent player at billiards after 53 years of playing. I’ll defer to the opinion of those who have played 55 years.

An aside: when playing Snooker on a 9’ table we usually use 9 reds instead of 12, In England on even smaller tables we’d use 6 reds. Pro snooker has a 6 red ball competition each year..

Last edited:

Shady

Thanks for your reply. Exactly what I was looking for.......actual experience with the 2 1/8" on a pool table. A review of the Aramith 2 1/8" also said they work well on his pool table. I think I'll take the plunge and throw in a couple of $100 Elite snooker cues.

We've been playing w/ 10 reds and also tried "10 Ball" and then made up what we call "Pink Eye". The pink ball is inside the rack, third row back in the center with a total of 12 reds with the last row outside reds missing. The rack is placed with the pink on it's spot. Break off (only) is like pool, into the lead red, from anywhere behind the balk line. After that it's snooker rules. It's a good variation for us, a little faster and easier.

Thanks again for your response.

Reactions: Pin

Geosnookery

Thanks for your reply. Exactly what I was looking for.......actual experience with the 2 1/8" on a pool table. A review of the Aramith 2 1/8" also said they work well on his pool table. I think I'll take the plunge and throw in a couple of $100 Elite snooker cues.

We've been playing w/ 10 reds and also tried "10 Ball" and then made up what we call "Pink Eye". The pink ball is inside the rack, third row back in the center with a total of 12 reds with the last row outside reds missing. The rack is placed with the pink on it's spot. Break off (only) is like pool, into the lead red, from anywhere behind the balk line. After that it's snooker rules. It's a good variation for us, a little faster and easier.

Thanks again for your response.
Sounds like a fun variation. We also make up a couple of variations or new games altogether. Keeps it fun. Going to give your variation a try.

In regular Snooker we have a one foul rule…no repeat shots so that foul points don’t accumulate. Too easy for an experienced player to run up points snookering a newbie.

We also have a rule when down to the pink and black if it is still in winnable by either player. White and pink must end up on the same side of the table if pink isn’t potted…or it’s a foul. This way players don’t spend a half hour chasing the pink. ..especially on a 12’ snooker table.

tomatoshooter

I can’t tell a difference in reaction of the rails.
I did play on a pool table where the rails were probably over a quarter inch too high, more than the difference I think you'd get with snooker balls on a regulation table. It seemed like soft banks came off the rails normally but on harder banks the ball would maybe push the cushion up and the cushion would push the ball down and the extra friction really affected the angle.

Shady

I ordered the Aramith 2-1/8" (not numbered) balls today so I'll find out soon enough and post my results. A couple of other variations that we have adopted with our snooker like game are 1) all fouls are 5 points and 2) a 3 attempt limit to escape a snooker. On the first 2 attempts, the cue ball location is marked with a dime (like golf) in case of a miss and do over. No white gloved person to be found.