2 point foul?

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the opening break, if you scratch but still drive two balls to a rail, is this a 2 point foul?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
4.3 Opening Break Shot
The following rules apply to the opening break shot:
(a) The cue ball begins in hand behind the head string.
(b) If no called ball is pocketed, the cue ball and two object balls must each be driven to a rail or the shot is a breaking foul. (See 8.4 Driven to a Rail.) This is penalized by subtracting two points from the breaker’s score. (See 4.10 Breaking Foul.) The non-breaking player may accept the balls in position or may require the breaker to play another opening break shot, until he satisfies the requirements for an opening break or the non-shooting player accepts the table in position. (See 4.11 Serious Fouls)
4.10 Breaking Foul
A breaking foul is penalized by the loss of two points as mentioned under 4.3 Opening Break Shot, as well as a possible re-break. If both a standard foul and a breaking foul happen on one shot, it is considered a breaking foul.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4.3 Opening Break Shot
The following rules apply to the opening break shot:
(a) The cue ball begins in hand behind the head string.
(b) If no called ball is pocketed, the cue ball and two object balls must each be driven to a rail or the shot is a breaking foul. (See 8.4 Driven to a Rail.) This is penalized by subtracting two points from the breaker’s score. (See 4.10 Breaking Foul.) The non-breaking player may accept the balls in position or may require the breaker to play another opening break shot, until he satisfies the requirements for an opening break or the non-shooting player accepts the table in position. (See 4.11 Serious Fouls)
4.10 Breaking Foul
A breaking foul is penalized by the loss of two points as mentioned under 4.3 Opening Break Shot, as well as a possible re-break. If both a standard foul and a breaking foul happen on one shot, it is considered a breaking foul.
Thanks, we just played this as a 1 point foul and continued with ball in hand behind the head sting. Seeing the rules, I believe that was correct.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, we just played this as a 1 point foul and continued with ball in hand behind the head sting. Seeing the rules, I believe that was correct.
?!
BTW: Reminds me of when we were kids and didn’t yet know all the rules. Thinking we were only risking 2 points, we would actually try to leave the CB corner-hooked on the opening break, not realizing that a re-break wasn’t mandatory if you scratched, and a loose ball near the pocket plus BIH usually equals ‘sell-out’!

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the opening break, if you scratch but still drive two balls to a rail, is this a 2 point foul?

This is a one point foul and counts towards the three foul. There is no choice to rerack and rebreak.

Failure to legal break is a two point foul and does not count towards three foul rule. Incoming player can accept table as is or ask for rebreak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Waiting for an official opinion (?). If the last line in rule 4.10 stated: “either” instead of “both”, it would clearly be a breaking foul. I have always played it as such, and though the definition of ‘driven to a rail’ might well include a scratch, it has never qualified as a legal opening break either, so it should thus constitute a breaking foul (?).

Last edited:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Waiting for an official opinion (?). If the last line in rule 4.10 stated: “either” instead of “both”, it would clearly be a breaking foul. I have always played it as such, and though the definition of ‘driven to a rail’ might well include a scratch, it has never qualified as a legal opening break either, so it should thus constitute a breaking foul (?).
OK. After rereading the rules, I see now that even if you scratch, you have technically met the opening break requirements (color me chagrined). One point penalty, no re-break option.