2 rail kick fail and here is why.

See why systems don't help you?

He is using a 2 rail center point, parallel cue system. He ends up adding right english to lengthen the angle off the long rail, and shorten the angle on the short rail, in hopes to get the 2 rail kick. I mean he knew enough to feel that he needed a tonne of right english from the contact point he chose...because he felt the running english angle he was getting would bring him under the 2 ball. It turned out that even with the right english he still came under it. Why not just adjust the contact point and hit lower on the long rail?

He would have done better to just visualize the two rail kick versus trying to force the contact point he got from the system and compensating with right english to accomplish what running english would do naturally if he hit farther down the long rail. The problem is he was relying on the system instead of just knowing or "feeling" the shot.

Actually if you look at when he parallels the cuestick it actually lines up with a lower contact point that where he hit on the long rail. So if he hit the proper point with running english it would have worked. I have used this system at times, but I recall it would tend to run long in some situations or something about it not being totally consistent in different scenarios...better as a guide. Anyway I now do all my kicks by "feel".

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
how do you know he didnt use feel or when he saw he couldnt use the system or to "massage the system ?
and his feel failed him ?
or
if you notice he came past the cueball with his stick
that is not the correct way to use that system (as i understand that system)
or
he picked the wrong system?
or
why do you think he would have had success with only feel?
all players and 3 cushion players miss their hit whether they are system or feel players
jmho
icbw

how do you know he didnt use feel or when he saw he couldnt use the system or to "massage the system ?
and his feel failed him ?
or
if you notice he came past the cueball with his stick
that is not the correct way to use that system (as i understand that system)
or
he picked the wrong system?
or
why do you think he would have had success with only feel?
all players and 3 cushion players miss their hit whether they are system or feel players
jmho
icbw
the rails were a bit bouncy apparently, so that could have been a factor as the bounce would have shortened the angle off the long rail.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Dear thenatural
I will play with you but only briefly.
First it seems you have come to this forum recently with the desire to be regarded as an authority. The handle you have chosen strikes me as pretentious. If you desire credibility, why not use your name?
A statement of your credentials would also go a long way towards establishment of credibility.
My prejudgment is that you are more than likely a troll that simply likes to stir. Well if that's the only way to get others to talk with you..... Perhaps Porkchop would have been a better username.🤷

Dear thenatural
I will play with you but only briefly.
First it seems you have come to this forum recently with the desire to be regarded as an authority. The handle you have chosen strikes me as pretentious. If you desire credibility, why not use your name?
A statement of your credentials would also go a long way towards establishment of credibility.
My prejudgment is that you are more than likely a troll that simply likes to stir. Well if that's the only way to get others to talk with you..... Perhaps Porkchop would have been a better username.🤷
I'm a pretty knowledgeable troll lol.

could you explain more clearly?
which part? What kind of affect a bouncy rail would have on the shot?

If you add right english on a long rail like in the video, it will hit the short rail sooner and come off at a shorter angle... The four rail path will look more diamond shaped than rectangular.

So if you are shooting long on a kick you either have to add more right spin to shorten up the short rail or just aim at a contact point farther down the long rail with running english.

The bouncy rail would shorten the angle off the long rail, which may have contributed to him going under the object ball because he struck the short rail too long... anyway, it looked like he had the wrong contact point. In other words shoot a bunch of these until you can feel what's right.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
which part? What kind of affect a bouncy rail would have on the shot?

If you add right english on a long rail like in the video, it will hit the short rail sooner and come off at a shorter angle...however, the right spin will lengthen the angle off the short rail. The four rail path will look more diamond shaped than rectangular.

So if you are shooting long on a kick you either have to add more right spin to shorten up the short rail, taking into account that adding right english will lengthen the angle off the short rail. Or just aim at a contact point farther down the long rail with running english.

The bouncy rail would shorten the angle off the long rail, which may have contributed to him going under the object ball because he struck the short rail too long and the right english couldn't over come that fact... anyway, it looked like he had the wrong contact point. In other words shoot a bunch of these until you can feel what's right.
thanks for the reply

thanks for the reply
I made a correction that wasn't quoted. To avoid confusion the about short and long angles...Right english off the long rail will allow the cueball to strike the short rail sooner, thus coming off at a steeper angle. However, this right spin will also try to pull the cueball at less of an angle coming off the short rail, just like off of the long rail...but this english can't compensate for the shorter contact point.

So if you are going under a ball like in the video, you have to add right english to contact the short rail sooner, and come off at a steeper angle which he tried, or you can just adjust the long rail contact point a little lower.

I have never tried to explain this before and I have had to go test it out because it is all pure muscle memory at this point. I hope this doesn't mess me up!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I made a correction that wasn't quoted. To avoid confusion the about short and long angles...Right english off the long rail will allow the cueball to strike the short rail sooner, thus coming off at a steeper angle. However, this right spin will also try to pull the cueball at less of an angle coming off the short rail, just like off of the long rail...but this english can't compensate for the shorter contact point.

So if you are going under a ball like in the video, you have to add right english to contact the short rail sooner, and come off at a steeper angle which he tried, or you can just adjust the long rail contact point a little lower.

I have never tried to explain this before and I have had to go test it out because it is all pure muscle memory at this point. I hope this doesn't mess me up!
Your use of "shorter" and "steeper" are confusing to me. Maybe "wider" (less perpendicular to the rail) and "steeper" (more perpendicular to the rail) would communicate more clearly?

pj
chgo

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Op is clueless about pool, and this thread is one of the examples why.
I guess he needs something to do while school's out

• Haha
Reactions: bbb