2021 American Straight Pool Championship

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the website linked above:

Round Robin: 8 flights of 6-8 players (depending on the size of the field). Players will be rated A-H with the A players seeded. Each player plays 5-7 matches up to 125 points. The top 24 advance to single elimination. Each Round Robin flight winner typically receives a bye in the first round of single elimination. This may change slightly based on the number of entries.

So the length of the elimination games is not stated, but I don't think it has ever been to 200. On the other hand, several players are capable of running 200-and-out in under an hour, so I don't think it is too long. Also, because it is single elimination rather than double, a longer match is reasonable.
Bob, while I am certainly no threat to any ’pro’ 14.1 player, it occurred that paying the entry fee might at least guarantee me a few games (with the initial‘ round robin’ format) against some top players (?). As a 14.1 enthusiast and supporter, it would seem worth it. What do you think? Or would I just be an obstruction/complication? It would seem a waste to drive that far merely to observe. Or. would there likely be enough small time action there between tournament matches to entertain? Looking to book some motel reservations before they are gone. Please advise.
P.S. Unless not a true ‘open’ tournament (where anyone with the entry fee $ could enter)? Website info unclear. I just assumed the entry fee would be high enough to rule out most amateurs (?). If you are willing to ‘pay through the nose’, and be thus eliminated early, seems likely to be beneficial to the directors in the end (?). Or am I wrong?

Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob, while I am certainly no threat to any ’pro’ 14.1 player, it occurred that paying the entry fee might at least guarantee me a few games (with the initial‘ round robin’ format) against some top players (?). As a 14.1 enthusiast and supporter, it would seem worth it. What do you think? Or would I just be an obstruction/complication? It would seem a waste to drive that far merely to observe. Or. would there likely be enough small time action there between tournament matches to entertain? Looking to book some motel reservations before they are gone. Please advise.
P.S. Unless not a true ‘open’ tournament (where anyone with the entry fee $ could enter)? Website info unclear. I just assumed the entry fee would be high enough to rule out most amateurs (?). If you are willing to ‘pay through the nose’, and be thus eliminated early, seems likely to be beneficial to the directors in the end (?). Or am I wrong?
It's invitational... kind of. If you've played before you get an invite. However, the field is not exclusively made up of pro players. Peter always needs some extra players to fill out the field or be on a waiting list in case of cancellations. One requirement he wants is people must be 100+ ball runners. Quite a few people who play maybe can't do that nowadays but did in the past. He doesn't really want B players. Another thing that helps is if you're willing to make a donation on top of the entry fee. Not huge, maybe an extra 100 or so. Doesn't hurt to contact him and see what's up.
I'd imagine it's too late for this year-other than the waiting list-and the entry is 350 after Sept 1st instead of 300. It's a huge poolroom and I'm sure you could find action if wanted.
Great tournament if you're not too far away it's definitely worth going even just to watch.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob, while I am certainly no threat to any ’pro’ 14.1 player, it occurred that paying the entry fee might at least guarantee me a few games (with the initial‘ round robin’ format) against some top players (?). As a 14.1 enthusiast and supporter, it would seem worth it. What do you think? ...
I've entered several times with no hope of winning although I did finish in the money once. And had one or two people run 100-and-out on me. (y)

Contact Peter Burrows. He was still looking for players at the just-completed US Open. A lot of players are having trouble travelling this year (no surprise) and there are likely to be last-minute cancellations. You could offer to play if needed. The hotel rate is great and if you're into touristing, there is a lot to see in the area. There is a contact link on the website: https://americanstraightpool.com/contact or PM me and I can give you his email and phone.