Stats -- 2022 Buffalos Pro Classic One-Pocket, May 2022

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are some statistics from the 2022 Buffalos Pro Classic One-Pocket event, played May 26-29 at Buffalos Billiards in Jefferson, LA with pay-per-view streaming by PoolActionTV. The main commentators were Larry Schwartz, Jeremy Jones, Billy Incardona, and Ray Hansen.

This was a 28-player, double-elimination event, with all races to 5. The winner was Tony Chohan, beating Alex Pagulayan at hill/hill in the first set of a true double-elimination final match.

Conditions -- The conditions for this event included:
- Diamond 9-foot table with 4" corner pockets and blue Simonis cloth;​
- Aramith Tournament balls with a Pro Cup measles cue ball;​
- triangle rack;​
- rack your own with alternating breaks;​
- re-break if a ball is made on the break for either player;​
- no shot clock;​
- climbing up on the table (no feet on the floor) to shoot is permitted; and​
- lag or flip for opening break.​

The stats are for all eleven matches (75 games) that were streamed on the main table, which constituted 20% of the total of 54 matches played in the event. The streamed matches are listed here in the order in which they were played. [Note -- PoolActionTV had some streaming interruptions in a few games, and I missed a few shots in other games. Places where stats are excluded for those games are noted below.]

Thurs. May 26
1. Fedor Gorst defeated Skyler Woodward 5-0​

Fri. May 27
2. Evan Lunda d. Earl Strickland 5-0​
3. Alex Pagulayan d. Scott Frost 5-3​
4. Pagulayan d. Billy Thorpe 5-2​

Sat. May 28
5. Tony Chohan d. Gorst 5-3​
6. Josh Roberts d. Pagulayan 5-0​
7. Chohan d. Roberts 5-1​
8. Gorst d. Alex Calderon 5-4​

Sun. May 29
9. Pagulayan d. Gorst 5-1 (Loser 4th)​
10. Pagulayan d. Roberts 5-2 (Semifinal)​
11. Chohan d. Pagulayan 5-4 (Final)​

Breaks from breaker's right side of table -- 34 of 75 (45%)

Games won by breaker
When breaking from his left side of table -- 25 of 41 (61%)​
When breaking from his right side of table -- 15 of 34 (44%)​
Total -- 40 of 75 (53%)​

Games won by player who scored the first point (or had it scored for him) -- 50 of 74 (68%)
[Excludes Game 3 of Match 1.]​
Matches won by winner of lag -- 4 of 11 (36%)

High run-outs
9-and-outs -- 4 times: 2 by Pagulayan (Matches 4 and 6) and 1 each by Thorpe (Match 4) and Gorst (Match 8).​
[Excludes 3 games for which I did not see the "out" run.]​
Match lengths
Longest in total length (5 hrs., 32 min.) and highest in average minutes per game (37) -- Gorst d. Calderon 5-4.​
Shortest in total length (1 hr., 21 min.) and lowest in average minutes per game (16 min.) -- Lunda d. Strickland 5-0.​
Average match length -- 3 hrs., 7 min.​
Average minutes per game -- 27½ min.​

Average match score -- 5 - 1.8. Three of the matches were shutouts. Two matches went to hill/hill.

Ball counts by length of run:
The total ball counts resulted from the following runs and fouls.​
1 ball -- 120 times​
2 balls -- 56​
3 balls -- 31​
4 balls -- 16​
5 balls -- 10​
6 balls -- 10​
7 balls -- 13​
8 balls -- 9​
9 balls -- 4​
Plus balls pocketed by opponents -- 51​
Minus fouls -- 81​
TOTAL ball count -- 668​
Average game score -- 8 - 1.7​
[Excludes 6 games for which my counts were incomplete -- 4 because of streaming interruptions and 2 because of personal interruptions.]​

Distribution of run-outs to win the games:
1 ball -- 26 (36% of 72 games)​
2 balls -- 11​
3 balls -- 8​
4 balls -- 2​
5 balls -- 4​
6 balls -- 4​
7 balls -- 6​
8 or 9 balls -- 11 (15%)​
Average (mean) "out" run -- 3.6 balls​
Average (median) "out" run -- 2 balls​
[Excludes 3 games for which I did not see the "out" run.]​

Last edited:

know it all

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you too very much! Az has the people and moderators that love the game and respect it.When the people that love this game so much leave this earth,who will carry on and know and remember the real pool of the 60s 70s 80s 90s .tournaments,tables,cues,cases. Who will keep it alive when the last living legend leaves us.Think about it. The Glen family has. Amen.
Thank you again. Richard Fordunski aka the skunk.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see a stat for shots played while climbing up onto the table to shoot.

What a joke that was!

Nice job on the stats!!

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
- climbing up on the table (no feet on the floor) to shoot is permitted;

I couldn't believe it when I saw that the one foot on the floor rule was waived, and I love it. I haven't seen anything like that since I first started playing in Durham, North Carolina in the mid-60's, when back then and there NOBODY used a bridge unless getting on the table would disturb the layout.

I will admit it was kind of comical to see "Fat Harold", a 250 lb. Baby Huey clone, spread out over the table with his fat ass sticking up in the air, but when I got back to DC I was pretty steamed when I learned that bridges were mandatory up in the North. I get the reason for the "one foot", especially on the pro level, but after all these years I still view the bridge as a foreign object, and the cue extender only works for some shots. So three cheers for the Buffalos Pro Classic. :D

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't believe it when I saw that the one foot on the floor rule was waived, and I love it. I haven't seen anything like that since I first started playing in Durham, North Carolina in the mid-60's, when back then and there NOBODY used a bridge unless getting on the table would disturb the layout.

I will admit it was kind of comical to see "Fat Harold", a 250 lb. Baby Huey clone, spread out over the table with his fat ass sticking up in the air, but when I got back to DC I was pretty steamed when I learned that bridges were mandatory up in the North. I get the reason for the "one foot", especially on the pro level, but after all these years I still view the bridge as a foreign object, and the cue extender only works for some shots. So three cheers for the Buffalos Pro Classic. :D

i believe the first IPT event had table climbing too, due to a loophole in the rule set.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let's see if we can get some discussion (pros and cons) on this.

Proposed: that the Buffalos Pro Classic One-Pocket matches be shortened from races to 5 to races to 4.

Some possibly helpful information:

• For the 21 matches streamed on the main table in this event last year and this year (combined), the player who got to 4 game wins first won the match (race to 5) 19 times (90%).​
• For the 8 days of play in this event last year and this year (combined), the last streamed match ended after midnight local time (sometimes way after midnight) on 6 days (75%).​
• The average match length for the 21 streamed matches last year and this year (combined) was about 3½ hours. The difference between the match lengths of the longest and shortest matches was 4 hours this year and 2½ hours last year.​

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let's see if we can get some discussion (pros and cons) on this.

Proposed: that the Buffalos Pro Classic One-Pocket matches be shortened from races to 5 to races to 4.

Some possibly helpful information:

• For the 21 matches streamed on the main table in this event last year and this year (combined), the player who got to 4 game wins first won the match (race to 5) 19 times (90%).​
• For the 8 days of play in this event last year and this year (combined), the last streamed match ended after midnight local time (sometimes way after midnight) on 6 days (75%).​
• The average match length for the 21 streamed matches last year and this year (combined) was about 3½ hours. The difference between the match lengths of the longest and shortest matches was 4 hours this year and 2½ hours last year.​
for the amount of money involved
races to 5 seem right
are the players complaining?
jmho