3/8x11 joint screw question

cuehobby

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have two cues with 3/8x11 joint screw but looks different.
The shaft joint protector for the left will not fit the shaft for the right.
Is there a big difference then between the two?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 44

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Different diameters. Minor or major or both. Likely the minor though.
The brass one appears to have a larger minor, so the JP probably also does.
IMG_0620_measure00.png

Last edited:

cuehobby

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Different diameters. Minor or major or both. Likely the minor though.
The brass one appears to have a larger minor, so the JP probably also does.

Can a regular 3/8x11 tap (which I don't have) be used for the shaft on the right and work? Or is it a bad idea?
Is there more than one kind of 3/8x11 tap?
Thanks again

cuehobby

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The flat outer thread profile and the flat bottom are indicators of an Acme or trapezoidal thread profile.
So from my understanding, there's Acme thread profile and regular thread profile? Which means you cant use the tap of one over the other?
This is sooo new to me that the more info I read, the more confusing it becomes.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
A tap will probably only be able to change the major diameter, which may or may not be the issue. From what I'm seeing, it's likely the minor that is the main factor here. Assuming this is the case, the best thing to do would be to put a different pin in the joint protector, modifying the shaft for the JP would not be the route I would recommend. Opening up the inside diameter of the shaft would likely also work, but seems not worth it for a joint protector.
IMG_0620.jpg

cuehobby

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A tap will probably only be able to change the major diameter, which may or may not be the issue. From what I'm seeing, it's likely the minor that is the main factor here. Assuming this is the case, the best thing to do would be to put a different pin in the joint protector, modifying the shaft for the JP would not be the route I would recommend. Opening up the inside diameter of the shaft would likely also work, but seems not worth it for a joint protector.
Thank you for breaking it down some more. I now have an idea about the minor and major that you were talking about.