3 Piece Cues

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Icon of Sin said:
Oh well the baggage size isn't the problem for a pool cue to be carried on. It's the item itself. Since 9/11 Pool cues havnt been allowed as carry ones. So regardless what kind of case you put it in, once you get to security and they look through it they are going to make you check it anyway.

Yes, you have to check it but mine fits in my small roll on bag if I place it diagonally. I only take short 1-2 day trips on average so it works fine for me.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one more picture

Here's another picture of it with the case turned over. I have a strap on the case that allows me to sling it over my back like a bow and arrow, for when I ride my motorcycle.

Attachments

• 3 piece travel cue 2.JPG
    3 piece travel cue 2.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 320

raemondo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
Yeah, you're not going to get a decent cue that splits in three equal parts. The shaft simply has to be a certain length. I saw a 4-piece cue that had a square case and it played like ass.

I'm not so sure about this. A 4-piece cue isn't a 3-piece cue, and one isn't much of a sampling. I bet the four piece had lots of metal in the joints, and today there are alternatives to that.

pj
chgo

Yea take a look at billiardshot's link, the dieckman has like a wood pin, which I thought was pretty cool.

raemondo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kelly Fisher said:
I never insure my cues, I just put my pool bag in a Porper and away I go!

Val Finnie once has her cues coming home from Portland OR. on a Delta flight and I'm sure she claimed the full airline comp of $2500 but she had to show reciepts and it took forever.

Do you know how Val Finnie managed with the receipts? I am thinking about how I could get my comp back but it would be impossible...the items have been with me for some time and for some of them, getting receipts would just be wayy troublesome...

raemondo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex Kanapilly said:
Since you're a fellow Illini... I have a nice 3 piece cue made by Richard Sheldon (www.sheldoncue.com) that I travel with. I even have a nice little envelope case made by Nitti. It's black with white stitching.

It plays fine, a bit stiff due to the short length of the shaft, but it hits plenty good.

Lou Figueroa also has one by Sheldon and plays with it regularly.

Hey Alex how you doin.

Thanks for the pic, yes now I remember, you were the one who started the thread about 3 piece cues back then...now I find myself in the same spot, except that I don't have a motorcycle lol. Is this cue a 58 inch cue? This is pretty much what I am looking for...except that I would like one with a wrap. Also, look at dieckman's cue from billiardshot's link...that looks like its a wood pin, which could make a difference in the hit, as for as the shaft joint is concerned.

Are you trying to sell this? BTW Brian did a fine job.

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
raemondo said:
What is chicago style 1H?

A suffering defense that leaves you froze or very close to an object ball that you have to hit in order to make a legal shot instead of having access to shoot balls away from your hole.

This is usually used to trap the other player into leaving you a shot once you have placed pawns or key balls on your side of the table for a nice shot selection to set up a run.:D :D

This is the way I learned how to play 1P from Steve Cook.

Kelly Fisher

raemondo said:
Do you know how Val Finnie managed with the receipts? I am thinking about how I could get my comp back but it would be impossible...the items have been with me for some time and for some of them, getting receipts would just be wayy troublesome...
Find a friendly dealer;)

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
They're called Break/Jump cues. Search away!
That doesn't help because the concept he is talking about is 3 approx equal length pieces so they fit in luggage better. if the shaft is still 29 inches that doesn't help.

raemondo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
Have they ever asked to see it after x-raying your carry-on bag? I thought cues were banned.

pj
chgo

Yea thats a really good point...you know what maybe they don't know its a pool cue cos they've never seen it broken into so many pieces!

raemondo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CaptainHook said:
A suffering defense that leaves you froze or very close to an object ball that you have to hit in order to make a legal shot instead of having access to shoot balls away from your hole.

This is usually used to trap the other player into leaving you a shot once you have placed pawns or key balls on your side of the table for a nice shot selection to set up a run.:D :D

This is the way I learned how to play 1P from Steve Cook.

Oh yea this absolutely makes sense and it'd be what I'd try to achieve if I were even decently proficient at 1H...I just didn't know it was called chicago style. Nice ring to it though.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
raemondo, I forgot to mention the smuggler cue picture can be large by clicking on it.
http://www.cuemaker.com/smugglercue.htm

xmas2003smuggler.jpg

The Dieckman traveling cue below was took to Vietnam 2005.
Noted the different size of shaft

Top shaft -carom, middle shaft snooker, bottom shaft pool
There is a 10" [I believe] extension with metal thread pin.

dieck4himpacifictour2005.jpg

Last edited:

raemondo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiardshot, this smuggler dieckman cue looks awesome. Do you know how much one is priced at? I am very interested to know how the cue plays with the wooden joints. Aesthetically I think it looks really too.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
Have they ever asked to see it after x-raying your carry-on bag? I thought cues were banned.

pj
chgo

I don't try to carry it on when I have the cue with me, I check it. But it's the same roll on bag that I use when I travel without the cue, I carry it on then when I don't have the cue.

So, the only real convenience is that it fits in my small suitcase, so I can always travel with the same bag.

The other nice thing is that I always get action. Guys see me putting together a 3 piece and they knock each other over trying to get to me first. Lol.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
raemondo said:

This is another reason I got one of these. It's way cheaper than my Southwest and I wouldn't go crazy if it got lost.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
raemondo said:
Hey Alex how you doin.

Thanks for the pic, yes now I remember, you were the one who started the thread about 3 piece cues back then...now I find myself in the same spot, except that I don't have a motorcycle lol. Is this cue a 58 inch cue? This is pretty much what I am looking for...except that I would like one with a wrap. Also, look at dieckman's cue from billiardshot's link...that looks like its a wood pin, which could make a difference in the hit, as for as the shaft joint is concerned.

Are you trying to sell this? BTW Brian did a fine job.

Yes, it's 58" in length. I had the double refund cue for a while and that wood pin cue played great, much different than my regular SW, but great. Nope, don't want to sell it.

You should try to hit with one to see if you like it, I have to reiterate, it hits stiff.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
raemondo, That subject of cost would have to be discuss with Dieckman. How it hit, problably like all his carom cue Fantastic . Wooden pin, are very close to playing with/ hit as a one piece cue - solid.

Be aware Dieckman at DCC until or after the 14 of Jan. www.cuemaker.com

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Alex Kanapilly said:
Since you're a fellow Illini... I have a nice 3 piece cue made by Richard Sheldon (www.sheldoncue.com) that I travel with. I even have a nice little envelope case made by Nitti. It's black with white stitching.

It plays fine, a bit stiff due to the short length of the shaft, but it hits plenty good.

Lou Figueroa also has one by Sheldon and plays with it regularly.

His name is Sheldon Lebow.

Fred