9 ball break - How you do it?

Ak147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These days I am practicing 9-ball break (1 ball on head spot) and usually I keep cue ball 2-inch away from side cushion on foot string and aim 1 ball full with below centre hit. It gives me mixed results. Generally I am able to control white but cannot consistently make wing ball or 1 ball in side pocket. Also I am not able to generate too much power in my breaks yet.

What are other common ways of breaking 9-ball rack?

Do I need to aim in certain way to get wing ball more consistently?

Any tips to build up powerful break?

Apprciate your help! Thank you!

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Every table breaks differently. Move the cue ball around and try different speeds until you find a setup that works for your table.
What are you using to rack the balls? You can't break consistently without a consistent, tight rack.

Ak147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every table breaks differently. Move the cue ball around and try different speeds until you find a setup that works for your table.
What are you using to rack the balls? You can't break consistently without a consistent, tight rack.

Thanks. Most of the time I use magic rack.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
When Ralf Souquet went on a tear several years ago he had mastered making the 1 in the side and the wing ball was just gravy... I asked him about that specific break and how long it took for him to master it... He said "a month".. Smiled his little smile and said "I didn't do anything but break for a solid month"....

Devote some serious time and it will pay dividends...

poolplaya1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Ralf Souquet went on a tear several years ago he had mastered making the 1 in the side and the wing ball was just gravy... I asked him about that specific break and how long it took for him to master it... He said "a month".. Smiled his little smile and said "I didn't do anything but break for a solid month"....

Devote some serious time and it will pay dividends...

Awesome!

I am going to go practice breaking now. It's only 3 am, still early.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
The title of this thread made me think of putting SVB in a pistachio commercial

highball9

Under your racking conditions a quick fix to improve your chances on the wing ball is trying to hit the 1 ball a tiny bit more towards the middle. Almost like you want to hit the second ball (behind the 1) full in the face. Speed ist not too important start slower and focus on accuracy.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try hard and medium breaks; I've had best results with medium force and a very focused hit.
Try also with left or right English, too.

I use 1 right hand (thumb stretched out) from the cushion (on 9 foot) and place the cue ball above the thumb and left from index finger. Work from there left or right.

Also magic rack changes things (for the better, I think) but you'll need to pratice with a triangle, too. A loose rack can give you ball explosions or very dead balls. That's really difficult to judge.

Cheers!

maestro de pool

Focus Concetration Nerves
Silver Member
stay down

These days I am practicing 9-ball break (1 ball on head spot) and usually I keep cue ball 2-inch away from side cushion on foot string and aim 1 ball full with below centre hit. It gives me mixed results. Generally I am able to control white but cannot consistently make wing ball or 1 ball in side pocket. Also I am not able to generate too much power in my breaks yet.

What are other common ways of breaking 9-ball rack?

Do I need to aim in certain way to get wing ball more consistently?

Any tips to build up powerful break?

Apprciate your help! Thank you!

think imagine the spot where the cb stops (while you are 8-10f stand up behind the table)

then make a step or two and bear down

then take some warm up stokes with rythm until you are ready to shoot

then pull back slowly your last stroke

then break with power and follow through

then STAY DOWN until a ball almost touch your shaft

and......remember your stance from the start is not of balance you must feel comfortable
in other words practice practice and practice

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
think imagine the spot where the cb stops (while you are 8-10f stand up behind the table)

then make a step or two and bear down

then take some warm up stokes with rythm until you are ready to shoot

then pull back slowly your last stroke

then break with power and follow through

then STAY DOWN until a ball almost touch your shaft

and......remember your stance from the start is not of balance you must feel comfortable
in other words practice practice and practice

I dont think he was asking for technical advice but more advice for what to do when a ball is not dropping.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All right... But where do you begin? Then where do you go from there?

Suppose you are breaking a tight rack exactly as op described. You are trying to make the corner ball but it keeps coming out high towards the side rail. What adjustment do you make? No gaps allowed.

What does a softer or harder break specifically do?
What does a cut to the right or left specifically do?
What does moving the cueball to the left or right specifically do?

I think this sis what the op is looking for.

Last edited:

maestro de pool

Focus Concetration Nerves
Silver Member
marks

I dont think he was asking for technical advice but more advice for what to do when a ball is not dropping.
well in that case look for the marks on the table(if there are someone must have results)
if there is no mark or a new cloth start from the side and move to the center ball ball length until you find the sweet spot

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had good success with the magic rack and the same starting point (2 inches from the rail and on the string).

I hit with the following:

1. Aiming for a full ball hit on the 1. I do NOT aim for the top of the rack but for where the cueball will strike the 1 ball full. Hope that makes sense.

2. I hit just a touch above center. You may need to play with this a bit so you can get the cueball to stop dead.

The results are that the 1 ball goes in the side (most breaks) and the wingball goes towards the corner but not always in. Cueball dead in the middle of the table without hitting any rails.

Hope that helps. Speed can make a difference. i hit my breaks at around 20MPH which is a bit less than as hard as i can hit them. If i try to add any more speed I end up with unintended spin on the cueball which ****s everything up.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Suppose you are breaking a tight rack exactly as op described. You are trying to make the corner ball but it keeps coming out high towards the side rail. What adjustment do you make? No gaps allowed.

What does a softer or harder break specifically do to the corner ball or one ball?
What does a cut to the right or left specifically do to the corner ball or one ball?
What does moving the cueball to the left or right specifically do to the corner ball or one ball?

TTT for some answers.

Thanks

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Get hold of a copy of Joe Tucker's racking secrets. It will probably answer all your questions in depth. You should never sacrifice accuracy and control for increased break speed.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try breaking 1-2 diamonds from the center of the table at medium speed. On most tables the wing ball is wired from there with the magic rack.

Aaron

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do you get that at?

Disregard - I see it on eBay.

Yeah... Joe has some CDs on the BreakShot. The title is Racking Secrets & Racking secrets 2

Plus Joe & I have a book on the Break Shot, just about all of them, the title is "The GREAT Break Shot".... 8.5 x 11 with 180 pages.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah... Joe has some CDs on the BreakShot. The title is Racking Secrets & Racking secrets 2

Plus Joe & I have a book on the Break Shot, just about all of them, the title is "The GREAT Break Shot".... 8.5 x 11 with 180 pages.

Do those just cover what the gaps do or do they also explain where to move the cueball for reactions and how to adjust the speed for a certain reaction etc?