9 Ball - Handicap Definitions???

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could somebody please explain the following terms used when handicapping 9 ball.

- Last 2
- 5 Ball
- 5 and out

Thanks,

fd_colorado

Go Pack Go!!!
Silver Member
Could somebody please explain the following terms used when handicapping 9 ball.

- Last 2
- 5 Ball
- 5 and out

Thanks,

Player A spots Player B:

Last 2 - any of the last 2 balls on the table wins for Player B
5 ball - just what it says, make either the 5 or the 9 and Player B wins
5 and out - any ball from the 5 on up to the 9 (5,6,7,8 or 9) is a winner

the only condition that might be imposed on the above would be whether the spots were "wild or straight"

fd_colorado

Go Pack Go!!!
Silver Member
Of course, picking a spot that favors you is not always as easy as it would seem.

My advice is that if you are looking for a way to make the odds as even as can be (in other words either side is not trying to hustle the other) then play short sets (say to 5) and make adjustments automatically after each set so you don't always have to renegotiate the spot.

For example, if you get the straight 8 and lose the first set...AND you think that the spot is still fair, then the next set you get the straight 8 + 1 game going to 5. If you lose the second set you get the straight 8 and 2 games going to 5, etc.

Then if you win one,you go back to one less set game spotted.

You will invariably have to donate some money to better players to get them to play you, but always try to play "as good as you can for as cheap as you can"

Last edited:

fd_colorado

Go Pack Go!!!
Silver Member
example of a sucker's game...

8 ball

You break.

If you make one, I take all of your balls off except (1). You shoot 'til you either win or miss.

Continue play as normal...

-- in this game a decent player can "give up" all that weight and will still be able to beat an average player almost every time.

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the additional info.

The reason I had asked about the Handicap systesm was due to a definition that was not making sense to me. I found the tournament program offered by Ingen pool, and there definition of "Last two balls" is......

"The remaining ball with the 9-ball has to be made and if pocketed, the player wins".

The way I was reading this was that the player had to make both balls in order to win, and I could not get my head around it until you posted.

Also I needed to know as I'm going to run a little tournament locally and use there Handicap system.

Thanks again,

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I was going to start a similar thread but I hesitated a bit when I search results showed me multiple threads on handicapping. But this one puts right question, very cose to mine, while others were more about league play.
So, what I would like to suggest, or to ask for: could we combine our knowledge and make a table of those multiple handicaps in range? Something like 1) a break and wild 2 - is the biggest handicap possible. ... #) 7 on the wire in a race to 10 .... ##) last one .... , and so on.

So. could we? I think it is very good to have such a thread so that we don't have to repeat those answers again and again, and just direct the poster to this thread.