9' Diamond nearest Greenfield MA?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
anyone know of one closer than Boston?

maybe in Connecticut?

I think you need to ask Scott Beckwith or Stacie Bourbeau. Nobody has told me that there is one in Greenfield, MA (which is my hometown).

Freddie <~~~ Go Green Wave!

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Outside of personal tables, I don't know of any places with 9' Diamonds in MA or nearby. Actually I can't think of a single place in N.E. with 9' Diamond tables, new or old.

Place called Beemers in Leominster is not far from Greenfield has two coin op 8' Diamonds with tight pockets. It is my "home room" for league and we play there often. Nice tables, play tough, but not 9 footers. And coin op so any decent player will be feeding it money at a good pace. Unless you happen to show up Sunday evening when we are there with league and sneak on a table with one of us :)

In NH there is a place with all 8' Diamonds, Crows Nest, but that is probably another hour drive from Beemers.

In Ayer at The Billiards Cafe, the tables there are furniture style 9' tables but they have newish Diamond rails on them, put on a few years ago. One table has tighter pockets but rails are a bit bouncy.

You asked about CT, there is a Diamond 9 footer in Jayson Shaw's place, US 1 Billiards, but it is at lower end of CT, quite a drive from Greenfield. Or there was, it may have been replaced with a Chinese 8 ball table or with a Rasson by now. It is/was his personal table, I don't know if it's still setup or how they let others use it.

Last edited:

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A place in westfield has a 7' diamond. Downtown, can't remember the name of the place but i know they have one.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thank you, Hinekanman, but i'm only interested in 9 footers.

Unless you know someone that has a 9 footer in their house, you will be stuck with 8 footers, and not many of those around either, only the two places I mentioned.

I think there is some private polish club or something that has a Diamond or two somewhere around Rt 95 area.

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
Amsterdam, NY has a room with all Diamonds, it not any closer but it a nicer drive with less traffic. Good luck.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No diamonds... I’ve been looking for years. The only one that I know of is a barbox in Westfield but from what I remember it isn’t really in the best shape.

If you are looking for just high quality tables try Ivory Billiards in Holyoke.

For tournaments try Ivory on Friday nights (barbox tourney though) or the Bluefelt tour run by Eric out of Shooters in Southington (once a month).

There used to be a tourney on the 9footers out of Ivory on Wednesday night and a lot of the big guns from the area (Richie Ross, Bruce Bartlett, Greenie, a few others) were regulars but they haven’t had that in a while.

Greenfield is kind of far from any pool halls now that Michaels is closed.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you need to ask Scott Beckwith or Stacy Bourbeau. Nobody has told me that there is one in Greenfield, MA (which is my hometown).

Freddie <~~~ Go Green Wave!

Don’t think I’ve seen you around before and it looks like you’re from my neck of the woods. I usually play out of either Ivory or tournaments in CT and know Stacie and Scott from years of playing with them. I’m Zack Curtin btw.

Only reason I ask is I know I’ve seen you on the forums for a long time and didn’t think you were from around here.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don’t think I’ve seen you around before and it looks like you’re from my neck of the woods. I usually play out of either Ivory or tournaments in CT and know Stacie and Scott from years of playing with them. I’m Zack Curtin btw.

Only reason I ask is I know I’ve seen you on the forums for a long time and didn’t think you were from around here.

Greenfield High School Class of ‘85

I started playing leagues in 1988. There was a nice write up in the Greenfield Recorder on the APA in the local area in 1993, which listed Al Holmes, Willy Fistes, and yours truly as the only SL-7s in the league.

I won the 2007 NH State 8-ball tournament in Keene (McCues).

You could ask Scott and Stacie about me. They’re very good friends.

Or Tim Hurley, Chris Grader,...

Freddie <~~~ from the old guard

Last edited:

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greenfield High School Class of ‘85

I started playing leagues in 1988. There was a nice write up in the Greenfield Recorder on the APA in the local area in 1993, which listed Al Holmes, Willy Fistes, and yours truly as the only SL-7s in the league.

I won the 2007 NH State 8-ball tournament in Keene (McCues).

You could ask Scott and Stacie about me. They’re very good friends.

Or Tim Hurley, Chris Grader,...

Freddie <~~~ from the old guard

Huh.... I know Tim and Chris pretty well too. Surprised we have never met at a tournament. I actually traded my bk3 to Timmy for his Bob Siminou wrapless.

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Vashon here Zach. we are trying to get the wednesday tournament going there again. We had about 6 people there this week but they all came at different times. Money games went on though, Greenie was there also at some point.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vashon here Zach. we are trying to get the wednesday tournament going there again. We had about 6 people there this week but they all came at different times. Money games went on though, Greenie was there also at some point.

Ok sounds good to me. Maybe I'll be there for poker this week anyway so I'll play if it happens (although Friday nights have been good spending money for me lately).

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Huh.... I know Tim and Chris pretty well too. Surprised we have never met at a tournament. I actually traded my bk3 to Timmy for his Bob Siminou wrapless.

I assume you’re much younger than I am, and I’ve not lived in Mass since 2011.

I would say I’ve won dozens and dozens of tournaments in New England, the vast majority being weekly bar tournaments and New England Billiard League singles and partners tourneys.

Freddie <~~~ reminiscing

Last edited:

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup you are correct on being older. I usually stick around Holyoke for the local tournaments. I have yet to cash in a big money tournament but I've also won my fair share of weekly stuff over the years.

I have been the bridesmaid at singles for Vegas out of CT ro the past 6 years (2nd and 3rd basically everytime. Yes it blows) so maybe I've seen you there

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
"If you are looking for just high quality tables try Ivory Billiards in Holyoke.
For tournaments try Ivory on Friday nights (barbox tourney though) or the Bluefelt tour run by Eric out of Shooters in Southington (once a month).
There used to be a tourney on the 9footers out of Ivory on Wednesday night and a lot of the big guns from the area (Richie Ross, Bruce Bartlett, Greenie, a few others) were regulars but they haven’t had that in a while.
Greenfield is kind of far from any pool halls now that Michaels is closed."

yeah, i used to play out of Ivory before i got a GC-I for home. i split 1st with Greenie at that Wednesday night 9-ball tourney the last time i played there, maybe a year and a half ago.

in this case, though, i'm specifically looking for what i said: a 9-foot Diamond. i'm curious how it stacks up against my GC, which i had tightened up too much and it plays like one mean summa*****, and i play almost entirely straight pool. pretty sure the Diamond will be looser. a Lot looser.

i've been to Ayers to play snooker, it's nice for that, a 12 foot Brunswick.

sounds like i need to take a drive to either Shaw's place or Amsterdam NY.

nice to hear you're from around here, Freddie -- haven't seen you play, but seriously love your commentary on 14.1 at DCC. i'm in Turners Falls.

Last edited:

yahosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob, if you are ever up in Maine, they have a 9ft diamond at Union Station Billiards in Portland. Also at Legends in Auburn.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"If you are looking for just high quality tables try Ivory Billiards in Holyoke.
Greenfield is kind of far from any pool halls now that Michaels is closed."

yeah, i used to play out of Ivory before i got a GC-I for home. i split 1st with Greenie at that Wednesday night 9-ball tourney the last time i played there, maybe a year and a half ago.

in this case, though, i'm specifically looking for what i said: a 9-foot Diamond. i'm curious how it stacks up against my GC, which i had tightened up too much and it plays like one mean summa*****, and i play almost entirely straight pool. pretty sure the Diamond will be looser. a Lot looser.

i've been to Ayers to play snooker, it's nice for that, a 12 foot Brunswick.

sounds like i need to take a drive to either Shaw's place or Amsterdam NY.

nice to hear you're from around here, Freddie -- haven't seen you play, but seriously love your commentary on 14.1 at DCC. i'm in Turners Falls.

I think the Diamonds have a longer shelf than the GC models, so if the pockets are equally tight, the Diamond would play the same. The 8 footers at Beemers are not very easy even though they are 8 footers, there are only a few tables in New England I played on that were tougher, namely the two tightened tables at Snookers. Before you drive 2.5 hours to CT, you should call them to see if the table is still there and for rent. I only played on it with Jayson with my son for Junior Nationals practice.

Last edited:

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
thanks, Hang -- i know about the shelf. i played on some Diamonds a few years back before my table was tightened, and i didn't have the same reaction as many players. i found the pockets scarey to look at, but found that they accepted properly struck shots, and in my opinion, Better than a tight GC.

i think some of it is the neoprene facings, because after my table mistakenly came out to 4 3/8 with the 3/16" thick neoprene Diamond facings, the mechanic tried to open them to 4.5 with the thinner-but-harder Brunswick 1/8" facings; the table immediately became MUCH tougher.

maybe some of it is also how i hit shots? pocket facing angles? whatever... just my experience, want to revisit it.

Last edited: