9ball practice game. similair to "99"w/safeties+more

christopheradam

Christopher Adams
Silver Member
I was trying to think of a game similair to "99" and "playing the ghost" that would give feed back to the player but also incorporate safety play and kicking at balls/jumping/masse shots. I'm just brainstorming some ideas so please feel free to add some of your own.
Calling the game "100" for obvious reasons stated below.

"99" game summary:
You break, take ball in hand, and try to run out. You get 2 points for 1 or more balls on break and 1 point for each shot made total of a possible 11 points for each rack. You miss a shot and your done for that rack. You keep score for 9 racks and tally up your score.

Rules for "100":

1. To start with, unless otherwise stated, all rules of the game "99" are in effect.

2. A safety where you snooker your imaginary opponent gives you a chance for a one point special bounus. You kick, jump, masse, or curve at the next ball in order. If you make a legal shot then you get the one point special bonus and also ball in hand. You can only get this special bonus one time per rack. If you miss the kick or jump or masse and don't make a legal shot, you get ball in hand anyway but don't get the one point special bonus.

3. A safety where you leave a difficult shot or difficult safety, you have to play the shot or safety. If you successfully make the shot or turn this safety into a hook safety, you get a one point special bonus if you haven't already gotten your one point special bonus. for the rack.

4. If you play safe and leave an easy shot or easy safety for your imaginary opponent, then the rack is over. Again, all "99" rules are in order unless stated otherwise, so if you miss a shot, the rack is over also.
5. You only get one point for the Break bonus.

6. You get a 9ball on the snap bonus of one point, one time in 9 racks for a 9ball on the break. Scratching when pocketing the 9ball and you don't get the point. This gives you the possibility of getting "100" for a perfect 9 racks instead of the "99" for a perfect 9 racks.

7. Only one, "one point special" per rack.

k-carson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
christopheradam said:
2. A safety where you snooker your imaginary opponent gives you a chance for a one point special bounus. You kick, jump, masse, or curve at the next ball in order. If you make a legal shot then you get the one point special bonus and also ball in hand. You can only get this special bonus one time per rack. If you miss the kick or jump or masse and don't make a legal shot, you get ball in hand anyway but don't get the one point special bonus.

I wouldnt reward myself for playing a safety that didnt work !!!

the best way to learn safeties is to be on the recieving end of
of a kick ass safety

chalkisfree

Registered
I think the most efficient way to practice safeties is with a partner. Play maybe a set of five games. Whenever it is your turn, you only play safeties, 100% defense. Your partner, playing purely offense, tries to finish five racks in as few innings as possible. Then switch after the five games and see if you can beat his score (less innings). The competition should make this practice fun and your mind should be tuned into looking for not just safeties, but SOLID safeties. If you get rewarded with a BIH, the next safety should be easier to make :D . Practicing this should improve your chances when trying to take advantage of the three-consecutive-foul rule. It can be devastating to an opponent when you get him with that one.

weelie

Registered
I used to practice safeties on my own. 9ball, only safeties, kicks, jumps and banks allowed. It did help a bit... at the time.

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chalkisfree said:
I think the most efficient way to practice safeties is with a partner. Play maybe a set of five games. Whenever it is your turn, you only play safeties, 100% defense. Your partner, playing purely offense, tries to finish five racks in as few innings as possible. Then switch after the five games and see if you can beat his score (less innings). The competition should make this practice fun and your mind should be tuned into looking for not just safeties, but SOLID safeties. If you get rewarded with a BIH, the next safety should be easier to make :D . Practicing this should improve your chances when trying to take advantage of the three-consecutive-foul rule. It can be devastating to an opponent when you get him with that one.
That is a good way to really screw up your game. We played a night of just safeties. The way we played the match was to try to 3 foul each other. If a ball was accidently made we respotted it. We played a race to 5. After an hour and half of playing just safeties we played a regular match. We couldn't sink a ball to save our life. it took us a good half hour to finish another race to 5. We never tried that again :p

JV

AceHigh

Banned
it's like tobacco, but you're learnin... and it ain't killin ya

i suggest you check out my post, "play better safeties" for a game that is not only extremely addictive, but also very fun and educational.