a couple cue maintenance questions

sbrownn

Registered
Don't think this thread belongs in the Cuemaker forum and the Mechanic forum is for tables, so here are my questions:
  1. When turning down / reducing shaft diameter do you usually lathe, sand the shaft, or what other techniques are there? I've only seen it personally done with sandpaper on my shafts using gradually downsized plastic collets to chase sand the shaft.
  2. When getting a cue refinished, how do refinishers preserve a hand signed signature (or brand mark) on the butt under the clear coat?
  3. I really want to get into doing my own tips given there is really only 1 person I trust for doing tips in the Seattle area (and even though I've heard there are options almost 90 minutes driving south, I have not heard enough feedback to trust those shops). Here are some options:
    1. I've looked into the Willard Tipping machine and it looks like a quality entry point tool (unfortunately, if I remember correctly, the cutter must be purchased separately, is quite proprietary / limited in shaft diameters given there are 3 choices plus it is no longer available to purchase). This presents a notably expensive and incomplete entry point unfortunately.
    2. I looked at the Mid-American Basic Lathe today and it looks very nice, but it is just over $1300 new with all the nice extra accessories plus tax and I forgot to see if shipping was free or not. So, basically twice as expensive as the Willard but a much more complete and wiser / long term investment (if I continued to use it or did tips for others).
    3. I saw some 3D printed lathe equipment, and while it seemed to work, it also seemed finicky if you did not have all the additional hand adjustments just right. Also, I don't have a 3D printer and didn't see options to buy the 3D printed accessories.
    4. This really isn't the last option but instead, a request to ask others to expand on these options I listed above to get a quality tip on my custom cue shafts with confidence and safety. What are others doing for their tip work and possibly shaft turndowns (I've played factory non-LD maple shafts turned down to 12.5mm for over 35 years)?
Thanks everyone...
 
I bought the night café 3-d printed one , the complete set was less than 200 bucks. For me , it works excellent for replacing tips. Even did super hard 'icebreaker' & 'double face' break tips. For the money, Im pretty happy.
 
I bought the night café 3-d printed one , the complete set was less than 200 bucks. For me , it works excellent for replacing tips. Even did super hard 'icebreaker' & 'double face' break tips. For the money, Im pretty happy.
Thanks @Lilbitfurthur, the V3 looks like a pretty sound product. I am concerned about the runout manual adjustments and the use of a drill to drive it.
 
Has anyone tried the PAIR Forge tip tool? This is the best video I found demonstrating it:


Or this one which looks very similar and an all in one kit (tip cutting blade plus tip centering) and is delivered from California and can be returned there if necessary:


Unfortunately, none of the videos I've found show the tool(s) completely apart, how the tool(s) connect around and center the shaft (I have collets to use to protect the shaft), how the blades are changed, etc.

I cannot figure out what the bottom part of the tool is for (in red rectangle):

1790357941310.png
 
super glue, a razor blade, or razor knife, and some sandpaper is all you need to replace a tip and its easy. and 15 minutes.

no fancy machine. unless you are doing hundreds of them for a living.

maybe spend the 600 bucks for this machine you can use every day.

 
I own multiple lathes but when I reduce a shaft diameter I only use the lathe on the ferule and do the rest with sand paper and a drill driver to take off diameter and use the ferule as the target as they sand way harder than the wood. Easing down to where you want to be may take a bit longer but you ruin zero shafts and never over shoot your goal.

Plus even the tiniest warp in a shaft can take a remarkable amount of reducing to make round again on a lathe.
 
Last edited:
Has anyone tried the PAIR Forge tip tool? This is the best video I found demonstrating it:


Or this one which looks very similar and an all in one kit (tip cutting blade plus tip centering) and is delivered from California and can be returned there if necessary:


Unfortunately, none of the videos I've found show the tool(s) completely apart, how the tool(s) connect around and center the shaft (I have collets to use to protect the shaft), how the blades are changed, etc.

I cannot figure out what the bottom part of the tool is for (in red rectangle):

View attachment 932980
I've been looking for this kind of specific product for years.
 
super glue, a razor blade, or razor knife, and some sandpaper is all you need to replace a tip and its easy. and 15 minutes.

no fancy machine. unless you are doing hundreds of them for a living.

maybe spend the 600 bucks for this machine you can use every day.


seems it's 60 bucks with shipping. i'd say that's a very good deal if it works as well as the willard
 
Back
Top