a couple question regarding English and LD shafts

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started playing back in 06 when I was stationed overseas, played steady for about a year, including a session in the local bar league. After I PCSd, I stopped playing until last year.
I'm about to start my second session of league play (APA), and my game is better than it's ever been.I'm a 3, but I think I'm on the cusps of moving up once I get another win or 2. Up to now, I've avoided learning English. A few better players I know think if I start using it, I'll really up my game. Thing is, I read once that you should avoid English until you can run a rack without it. (I play 8-ball, btw)
So I guess my first question is, should I make the leap, and start to really experiment with it in practice?
Second question : I've been using nothing but solid maple shafts until now. Would it be better to start out with an LD shaft now, and avoid the steep relearning curve later?

Also, I play with Joss cues. One of my primary cues (along with the rest of my Joss cues) uses a 5/16x14 pin, but I'be been using my older Joss a lot lately, which uses the rarer 5/16x18 pin. If I use the LD shaft, which would be closest in feel to my Joss shafts? And should I go with the 5/16x14 joint, as it would fit with most of my cues?
 
I'm a advocate of using side spin. How are you going to get better at using it if you don't try? Couple things you have to keep in mind:

1. If you can get position without using side spin you probably don't need it
2. You can't really aim center pocket if you use side spin. You will over cut a lot of shots if you do. You need to aim short of the pocket when using left or right spin because of the throw effect
 
I've been playing wth english since I was 13. I would definitly suggest that you learn how to use it asap. Once you start using it you may actually be able to run a rack.

As to the shafts, I would say yes go with a LD shaft. I think it will actually speed up your learning curve & give you succes with it quicker.

I would also suggest a soft to medium tip & not a hard tip.

I would also suggest that you learn CJ Wiley's TOI. It can be used with english when needed too.

Do you need a LD shaft? No. But why buy a gun that shoots very crooked when you buy one that shoot straighter.

Good Luck it & if you ever have any specific question just PM me.

Regards,
 
Last edited:
Back
Top