A couple questions about Palmer Cues and older cues makers in general.

stomper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I keep my eye out for different cues that I like or I am possibly interested in picking up.
Of course I keep an eye out on Facebook and eBay. One thing I noticed on Facebook especially is that early Palmer cues get VERY little interest. I love some of the old Palmer cues and have a couple of them but I am curious if those who collect them have died off and just like a lot of other older cue makers cues their values are not where they used to be.
Is this just a sign of what’s coming with all older cues? Are they any makers that will maintain and continue to appreciate or will this happen to all cues?

Second question on Palmers if anyone could breakdown with pics the logos with regard to the newer Palmers it would be appreciated.
I know at some point from my understanding they were also produced in China with a couple different logos.

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the main reason items become valuable is nostalgia. When a generation becomes wealthy the items that were popular when they were young increase in value, then when that generation gets too old to use those items or pass away the value dramatically goes down. This applies to everything (cues, cars, sporting goods, ect...). Of course supply and demand play a key role as well in determining value. When it comes to cues, the generation that coveted the Balabushkas and Szambotis and Rambow cues are becoming fewer in number and therefore the demand is going down. When you look at the younger generation of pool players the most popular cues are Predator and Cuetec even though they are garbage. So for that reason I believe the old school custom cues will continue to go down in value.

Jedco

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The site www.palmercollector.com has a ton of great information about the Palmer brand before the import era. The "Palmer Cues - Original By Palmer" Facebook group is another great place where people post photos and information. There is a good scene of collectors for the desirable Palmer cues, and even the import era Palmers seem to move reasonably well when they come up for sale.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Facebook has a Palmer Cue page that is fairly active. Most of the activity is generated by the page founder. However, there is a group of hardcore followers and contributors- I am one of them. Palmer cues from the 60s 70s and even 80s into early 90s were well constructed and universally played as very good cues.
Their distinctive color patterns, notched diamond and dot pearl inlays, acrylic window butt sleeves, etc. were a hallmark of a truly golden age of cues and pool following the Hustler movie release.
If you were fortunate enough to experience that period of pool’s resurgence, you would always want to keep
That passion burning and Palmer cues are true link to that golden era of pool.
Every collecting category has its own following - the size of that following ebbs and flows with time and sometimes resurges in a big way for various reasons.

Zerksies

The site www.palmercollector.com has a ton of great information about the Palmer brand before the import era. The "Palmer Cues - Original By Palmer" Facebook group is another great place where people post photos and information. There is a good scene of collectors for the desirable Palmer cues, and even the import era Palmers seem to move reasonably well when they come up for sale.
This site is from 2005 and i wouldn't go by the prices. I was checking out the pricing on some cue recently and they have dropped in price

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many Palmer cues have continued to go higher in price - Gus Szamboti forearm Palmers- which there are many- are up in price- Palmer Model M is still a high value cue - even some later Palmers from the PM line made in Japan like the PM - 11 in great condition commands a very good price. Titilist forearm Palmers are never left on the market for very long either.

Jedco

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
This site is from 2005 and i wouldn't go by the prices. I was checking out the pricing on some cue recently and they have dropped in price
Nearly all of the prices listed on that site are below actual current market value, not above. Price guides for our niche hobby are extremely dubious, so I wouldn't pay attention to them no matter how current.

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was working in the college game room in the early '70s, we had catalogs, Palmer, Gandy, etc. I fell in love with the Palmers but couldn't afford the ones I really liked. I settled on the Gandy HC-145 that I paid $67.20 for on 9/12/74. Rico Cervantes worked for them then.

As I got older I felt the need to satisfy my envie for the Palmers. I now have five, including the third catalog Model 13 that really caught my eye back then.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many Palmer cues have continued to go higher in price - Gus Szamboti forearm Palmers- which there are many- are up in price- Palmer Model M is still a high value cue - even some later Palmers from the PM line made in Japan like the PM - 11 in great condition commands a very good price. Titilist forearm Palmers are never left on the market for very long either.
One of my favorites.

Attachments

• IMG_1933~2.jpg
    IMG_1933~2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1932~2.jpg
    IMG_1932~2.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1928~2.jpg
    IMG_1928~2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 43

WardS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an old Adam cue my late wife purchased for me in the late 70’s mid 80’s, not an expensive cue said she paid 40$ for it. I recently sent it to Mueller Billiard to have it refurbished and a extension installed. It won’t increase the value but its very personal thing for me. I don’t care about the cost as I said it’s personal.

eddieindetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an old Adam cue my late wife purchased for me in the late 70’s mid 80’s, not an expensive cue said she paid 40$ for it. I recently sent it to Mueller Billiard to have it refurbished and an extension installed. It won’t increase the value but it’s very personal thing for me. I don’t care about the cost as I said it’s personal.
Sounds to me like your Adam cue might be the most valuable cue on AZB.
Nice.

Last edited: