A New Way to One Hole

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny how the people that only play one pocket are such snobs about it, as if it takes more skill than all the other games...

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure I got a better way to improve one pocket. Let's just reduce the number of balls used.. to say .. nine or ten? Doesn't matter.

Next, instead of a soft break, maybe force the breaker to break them hard.

Then, maybe instead of each using one pocket, let the person approaching the table shoot in any pocket, but instead of making any ball you must shoot them in order. The person who makes the last ball in wins.

Pretty sure this is called 10 ball,,,,,,,,,

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
It's funny how the people that only play one pocket are such snobs about it, as if it takes more skill than all the other games...

What's even funnier is people who think it takes the same skill. One pocket is a demonstration of everything you know about pool all wrapped up into one game. The only other game that comes close is straight pool, except banks are very very rare.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's even funnier is people who think it takes the same skill. One pocket is a demonstration of everything you know about pool all wrapped up into one game. The only other game that comes close is straight pool, except banks are very very rare.

Agreed sir. Ask a top notch AA amatuer and they will generally tell you the same thing about the skills needed for one pocket. You do need all of your player resources to play one pocket well. I still say 14.1 is the toughest game. You need to use the mechanical bridge well, you need to use every type of hand bridge there is to go over balls in tight spots, and staying at the table in 14.1 might the the toughest task in pool.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Beibs, To put it bluntly, that is the 'dead worst' set of rule change suggestions, I have ever seen for any game..ever!.. It would take more time, than I am willing to devote, to point out all the reasons why!..Your normally intelligent posts, just took a severe hit with me..I now have to wonder, if you have ever actually played a game of one pocket in your life?

One Pocket rules are just fine the way they are, and though the game may never attract a mass audience, those of us who love it could care less..The game is not boring to us!..Let the other 'fast action' games, go after the high $$$$ TV sponsors..Enacting a set of rules like you proposed, would surely end the 'boredom' factor, it would also ensure, that no one would ever watch another game of 1P., ever again! :eek:

LATE EDIT;...In going back over the posts made, while I was forming my reply, I see we have one who actually concurs with you..one diissenter, and another horrible attempt at rule changing! (although not quite as bad as yours :eek:)..Leave the damn game alone, its the only game that hasn't undergone drastic rule changes every few months!..In fact, since its inception/invention, 70-80 yrs. ago, there have been exactly ZERO changes!..They got it right the first time! :p

I agree. Bebutlvr, stick to what you're good at., Chewing gum. Leave pool to the people who play the game.:p

Los Gatos Taki

Registered
Part of what makes life good and interesting is the CHOICES we can make. People should spend more time enjoying what they choose to like. There are different classification of music, colors, books, sports,and so on. Different choices are to meet the different interests of a diverse people. Why do people choose to constantly get involved with interests, THEY DO NOT LIKE,and want to change them into something they want, with no regard for the interests of others. One can imagine a world with only 1 color, 1 kind of book, or 1 class of music. Television, forcing hurry up rule changes, has, in many instances, done more harm to the game of pool. Maybe, straight pool should have a maximum race to 50 balls.
If one enjoys rock and roll music, they should listen to it and not try and change country music into rock. We are talking about different interests, not a criminal act or something wrong.
The thousands of choices available give everyone a chance to enjoy something they like.
Enjoy life spending time doing what you enjoy and are interested in.

2andOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so, a lot of people like golf analogies. so, in response to the original post.

How about just making all golf courses par 3's then ? I mean the public loves to see holes in 1.

why change 1 pocket. if people don't want to watch, too bad. it's perfect the way it is.

It would just be another version of 9 ball. fast for the public. that's part of the problem. nobody has any patience/concentration anymore.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member

It does take more skill than the other games.
Oh, by the way. Be a good fellow and go get me a beer and a cigar. An El Dog Turdo, if they have them. :cool:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Part of what makes life good and interesting is the CHOICES we can make. People should spend more time enjoying what they choose to like. There are different classification of music, colors, books, sports,and so on. Different choices are to meet the different interests of a diverse people. Why do people choose to constantly get involved with interests, THEY DO NOT LIKE,and want to change them into something they want, with no regard for the interests of others. One can imagine a world with only 1 color, 1 kind of book, or 1 class of music. Television, forcing hurry up rule changes, has, in many instances, done more harm to the game of pool. Maybe, straight pool should have a maximum race to 50 balls.
If one enjoys rock and roll music, they should listen to it and not try and change country music into rock. We are talking about different interests, not a criminal act or something wrong.
The thousands of choices available give everyone a chance to enjoy something they like.
Enjoy life spending time doing what you enjoy and are interested in.

Here, here! My sentiments exactly.
Take me for example. I like women between the ages of 18 and 19, and especially those with a third breast on their back. I'm partial to slow dancing, you know. :D

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It definitely does demand a more complete set of pool skills, total concentration, and proper shot selection!..No other game comes even close to 1P in that regard!..That is why it has now become the most popular gambling game, amongst all the top players! (Efren, Alex, SVB etc.)

It will never be a popular spectator game, as it requires a complete working knowledge of all the intricacies involved!..You appear to be about like the average, disinterested viewer!..If you ever get hooked on the game, you will see what the attraction is!..Listen to Hendy--->

The beauty of one pocket is you can become an accomplished player with different sets of skills. A strong banker or shooter can often overcome a mover and vice versa depending on the combination of all these skills and your ability to figure out your opponents strong/weak tendencies and use them to your advantage. It is fine the way it is and no one will never get it all figured out. That's what makes it the best pool game on the planet.

Last edited: