A question for those in the know about apa handicaps.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
APA handicaps utilize the best 10 of the last 20 games and innings are a huge part of that equation, that is why it's important to mark defenses, because it shows the person didn't actually miss a shot to end his inning.

And yes, slop can and does affect player ratings if it affects his wins and/or innings. As mentioned, it's the 10 best of your last 20 games. Well, if you slop your way to wins then your skill level should go up due to less innings, more wins, and less defensive shots.

Our local slop master has bounced between a 6 and 7 a few times, he can pocket some balls when needed but he's no 7. He can't control whitey and generally can't get out of any tough situations.

Here's what Dr. Dave has on APA handicaps, it's a good read.
I've asked politely for Dave to take part of that page down. The system was illegally disclosed a long time ago, and lawyers intervened. I reposted that initial post without realizing what it was, and got calls from the APA immediately. Someone else reposted my post, and my frickin' email ended up on whatever was submitted to further lawyers, and I got more phone calls. My hope was that with Usenet difficulty to search anymore, remnants of that illegal posting would disappear in the bit bin.

The original poster doesn't need more headaches, and neither do I. I'm hoping it just all goes away.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, first of all you're talking about handicaps within a specific organization. Therefore, whether slop has any bearing on a handicap is irrelevant, because everyone who plays APA has a handicap calculated in the same way.

Based on what I know of how their handicaps are calculated (having ran a league for nearly a decade), there is no amount of slop that would be so forthcoming as to cause any single player's handicap to elevate any worse than anyone else's. What you're describing honestly sounds more like a personal issue that you have with someone else's handicap comparative to yours.

All of that said, APA handicaps are calculated going back only so many matches, and without giving away too many details, there is an element based on wins/losses and assigned values, regardless of how many actual innings there were in a specific match. It's all designed to continually raise and/or elevate an individual's handicap over time, thereby causing teams to have to split, and form new teams, in the hopes of keeping the league ever-growing. It's a business model, make no mistake about it. All of it also focuses and places more value on those lower level, and most often, new players, whom are needed to fit under the handicap limit within the league. It doesn't matter how much someone sandbags, at some point, if they successfully win by sandbagging, it's going to catch up to them and their handicap will go up.

Slop...sandbagging...none of it matters. Your teammate and everyone else will eventually go up. Don't chastise him for being overhandicapped. If you're so knowledgeable about the game, and think he could be a better six, then try to help him become a better one, rather than tell him he's sloppy and shouldn't be one. Just my two cents.

I actuallh congratulated him upon being raised. Sorry if my post led you to believe otherwise but the subject of what he needed to do to improve did come up..

When he was a 4 he would call time out and ask advice whenever he was in a pickle..when he became a 5 he hardly ever asked my advice. Now thst he is a 6 said he could kick my ass do you really think he wants my advice lol.. Dont get me wrong...he is a great kid and i call him son.

Not tooting my own horn and definitely not making excuses but i was a 6 in 8 ball 5 years ago for a couple sessions.. Since then ...like the saying goes...i don't see the shots like i used to due to failing eyesight. Some times i know i hit it wromg as soon as i strike the cue ball. Also i hardly ever make a ball on the break due to not breaking as hard as i used to due to an injury that left me 29% disabled in my shooting hand. How accurate do you think you can be when your hand some times starts aching lkmwe a bad toothache?

Last but not least..one thing i learned back then...if you dont run out you sell out...depending on your opponent of course.. So while my style of play has changed and it seems like i will be stuck as a 5 as i am getting older i havent forgotten what it took to attain a level 6 and it darn sure was not a smash and hope every third or fourth shot.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've asked politely for Dave to take part of that page down. The system was illegally disclosed a long time ago, and lawyers intervened. I reposted that initial post without realizing what it was, and got calls from the APA immediately. Someone else reposted my post, and my frickin' email ended up on whatever was submitted to further lawyers, and I got more phone calls. My hope was that with Usenet difficulty to search anymore, remnants of that illegal posting would disappear in the bit bin.

The original poster doesn't need more headaches, and neither do I. I'm hoping it just all goes away.

I did not know that, I have removed the link from my post.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

I had a copy of that stuff years ago, printed out. It was interesting to me, at the time, being new to pool and to APA and all. After many years of experience in the league, I realize that things certainly must have changed since then.

I'm sorry that you got caught up in it.