A Question I need answered quickly

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
SO, I'm looking to purchase a table, but I don't have the money for a brand spankin new table.

I found an OLD Brunswick 1933. It's the last year they made wood tables before going to slate beds. It's not a cheap wood, I can't remember the type of wood, but it's pretty thick and heavy.

My question is, would this be a good purchase? I know it's not slate, but it is Brunswick.

I'm thinking of going by and looking at it. Help me out here, the sooner I know, the better. Lol. I'm eager.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Since Brunswick was using slate at that time, in fact they had their own slate quarries, I suspect that this table must have been one of their cheapo specials. I'd look for a used Gold Crown III in good condition. About $1500 maybe in today's market.

And 1933 is not the last year before they went to slate. If it's the last year of anything, it might be the last year they made beds of wood before going entirely to slate. The link below describes the Arcade, made in 1922-23. As you can see, it has a slate bed. Tables much older than that also had slate.

http://www.brunswickbilliards.com/our_rich_history/antique_tables/arcade.html

Last edited:

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
the bed is wood?

Yea... I know... threw me off. They said the original date stamp is on the bottom, or I forget what those are called. But yes. A thick slab Mohogany or Oak of some sort. I dunno...

There was an 8' Brunswick with a slate and ball return for $100 but, man, that thing (not surprisingly) went in less than a day and I was just too slow... BAH! :(

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't buy to play on, maybe to collect, if any value there. It would have been very hard to machine the wood smooth in the 30's and if the wood grain doesn't go up/down it would warp/cup and play really bad. Must be tons of tables for sale though as people keep losing money and homes.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
I've done a little browsing on the Brunswick antique table site and I haven't found any models that describe a wood bed. Is the seller sure that it isn't slate? If it's broken down he would know, but if it's assembled and he looks underneath, maybe he is seeing a wood frame for the slate and doesn't know there's slate above it. Might be worth going to see it if it isn't too far away.

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
See that's what I'm thinking. It's in pieces in his garage. But the top is all in one piece sitting on it's side. The rails and cloth are still all attached. So, you can't even see what is under it. He said it plays well, so I dunno. It's not far at all from where I am so I might take a gander.

EDIT:
He also said that it takes 15-20 to assemble from what it is now. Which is also odd to me, don't these tables take more than someone with no mechanical knowledge? And I would also have to level it and so on. I dunno. I AM tempted to look, though.

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were slate tables in the late 1800s and earlier. I've never even heard of any kind of wood top table that old.

Dead Crab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something bad happened to the slate many years ago, and someone replaced it with wood.

That's my theory. Unless it otherwise has a lot going for it, I would pass.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
See that's what I'm thinking. It's in pieces in his garage. But the top is all in one piece sitting on it's side. The rails and cloth are still all attached. So, you can't even see what is under it. He said it plays well, so I dunno. It's not far at all from where I am so I might take a gander.

EDIT:
He also said that it takes 15-20 to assemble from what it is now. Which is also odd to me, don't these tables take more than someone with no mechanical knowledge? And I would also have to level it and so on. I dunno. I AM tempted to look, though.

I know time is short, but you could post this in the "Talk To A Mechanic" section and see if you get an answer. Or just go take a look. I wouldn't think it possible to have the rails, cloth and slate still together but removed from the frame.

When my table was set up, it took 2 guys 3.5 hours to put it together.

chin0

"Chino Miss-A-Lot"
Silver Member
Post a wanted ad on Craigslist and describe what you want, 8ft slate or etc in good condition, and you are willing to spend up to $XXXX amount. You would be suprise how many people will e-mail you. A lot of people just dont take the time to post an ad because they are too lazy. Good luck buddy!

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
Something bad happened to the slate many years ago, and someone replaced it with wood.

That's my theory. Unless it otherwise has a lot going for it, I would pass.

So, if that happened. There are slates up for sale on CL also, some as far as the bay. Would it be possible to bring it back to slate if this theory is true?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SO, I'm looking to purchase a table, but I don't have the money for a brand spankin new table.

I found an OLD Brunswick 1933. It's the last year they made wood tables before going to slate beds. It's not a cheap wood, I can't remember the type of wood, but it's pretty thick and heavy.

My question is, would this be a good purchase? I know it's not slate, but it is Brunswick.

I'm thinking of going by and looking at it. Help me out here, the sooner I know, the better. Lol. I'm eager.
Even if the table is slate I am going to add this and you are not going to like what I say. Those old T-rail tables play terrible. They are little more the decorator items today compared to the tables made now. I have one and it is in storage. I had it set up and you could just not play on it. No two tails played the same no matter what you did. I had rubber changed and no matter what I did it was terrible. I now have my Gold Crown set up and haven't played on the antique in years. I have to get it out and sell it when I have time.

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
I know time is short, but you could post this in the "Talk To A Mechanic" section and see if you get an answer. Or just go take a look. I wouldn't think it possible to have the rails, cloth and slate still together but removed from the frame.

When my table was set up, it took 2 guys 3.5 hours to put it together.

I have done that, but no one has responded yet over there. Bah, I wish I had gotten to that other Brunswick faster...

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
Okay, I know this may be of little to no help, but here is the pic on the listing.

3ke3of3l7ZZZZZZZZZ958947573abee59103e.jpg

Any ideas of anything??? Lol.

tylerdean14

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pool table

that dont look like a 1933 it looks just like my 2000 8ft brunswick.and it is a solid slate but not wood mine is for sale for 400 dollars