A reality check on aiming systems of all kinds

JC

Coos Cues
Not many players would attempt shape on the short side of that 5 anyway, with the original setup or JC's setup. So...no, I don't think it's a drastic difference at all. In fact, having the 5 closer to the rail makes it easier to get shape without getting upside down.

Short side is a risky option in either setup, that's why I said it doesn't change the shot. You either load the cb up with straight draw like Corey did, or you load it up with top right (outside) and come 2 rails back up table, or you drill it with a ton of top left (inside) and come one rail back up table and hope you don't scratch. All three are tough options from that distance.
Upon fine tuning the layout I realized that my 4 ball was a slightly greater cut angle than the original as well.

So by moving the donut hole just one donut hole diameter to the left for a slightly straighter shot the entire thing gets easier. Now straight follow brings you reliably to the short side and the same inside that brought you to the short side before bring you to the long side. Just that tiny adjustment.

And you're also correct about moving the 5 toward the rail completely removed that dead zone of no shape below it on both sides of the end rail. Making the shape zone effectively larger substantially.

Making those tiny adjustments makes the entire proposition much easier in every way. Except the way Cory did it of course.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Oh I completely agree.... Not that I have the option of utilizing Cory's stroke, but if placed in that position I definitely would have gone the way you did with the second attempt. In orders of magnitude easier imo.

If no one had ever seen Corey's flier prior, and you set that shot up at the Derby as a demo/test, nearly all pros would go follow/inside
Corey shot it in the mosconi cup. Pretty sure he didn't see it as a flyer.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Corey shot it in the mosconi cup. Pretty sure he didn't see it as a flyer.
Nah, Corey's famous draw shot was at the 2004 US Open 9-Ball Championship. Corey was on the hill at 10-3 against Mika Immonen. Corey lost that game (missing the 9-ball) and two more before prevailing 11-6.

[But Corey did have another great draw shot in a 2002 Mosconi Cup match against Van Den Berg at 3-3. Deuel lost that game and the match. You weren't referring to that shot were you?]

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Nah, Corey's famous draw shot was at the 2004 US Open 9-Ball Championship. Corey was on the hill at 10-3 against Mika Immonen. Corey lost that game (missing the 9-ball) and two more before prevailing 11-6.

[But Corey did have another great draw shot in a 2002 Mosconi Cup match against Van Den Berg at 3-3. Deuel lost that game and the match. You weren't referring to that shot were you?]
I got confused I thought he did it at the mosconi.... Been watching too much pool...

As usual you and my wife are legitimately never wrong. :)

Last edited: