Advancing from CTE to Pro One

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Have had success using CTE with the manual pivot, easy to understand and can pocket ALOT of balls with the system...finding it very hard to advance to Pro One and have the same success. Watched the DVD over and over to try and grasp it. Any advice on how to make the transformation any easier?

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have had success using CTE with the manual pivot, easy to understand and can pocket ALOT of balls with the system...finding it very hard to advance to Pro One and have the same success. Watched the DVD over and over to try and grasp it. Any advice on how to make the transformation any easier?

IMO, you have cleared a significant hurdle. Keep in mind that the basis for all manual pivots is equal to 1/2 tip pivot to CCB.

PRO ONE is SEE and SHOOT. Your visual offsets are the same as in manual CTE. If a manual pivot is left, specifically left to right , then your eyes in PRO ONE will sweep left to the shot line.

As you SEE your visuals at ball address please know that your bodyfeet can and typically move as you sweep to CCB. Your are always visually offset equal to that of a 1/2 tip manual pivot. It is really as simple as see the visuals and make the ball. Yes, there will be errors visually and physically but you will be working from objectivity and the refinements never end.

Also, in PRO ONE your cue will come in from left to right for every shot. It is your head/eye movement, left or right, that defines the Pro One sweep.

Ultimately , the gift of CTE PRO ONE is that the system visually gives you the shot line. You must allow your eyes to lead. Your eyes will see the shot line before your tip is in final position.

Always strive to place your BRIDGE V on the shot line. That is huge as it can allow you to slightly angle your cue for inside or outside spin.
**An angled cue is quite friendly to the shot line and allows for extreme accuracy when using just a little inside or outside spin.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member

I'm sure Stan will reply, I'll give a bit of my own experience. I grappled with this too, trying to figure out how to make the sweeps consistent. Finally I just bit the bullet and started practicing with just the fundamentals.

I kept it simple by taking the first two shots from the dvd (28-38 and 10-5) and shot them each 50-100 times in a row. Pay close attention to how you sweep into CCB. Find the sweep that sends the ball straight to the pocket. Shoot them over and over. Then do it again the following session. Shoot until the sweeps are completely automatic. It can take days to weeks, just keep at it until it clicks. Do this first thing at each session.

These two shots teach you the basic sweeps: left and right. Once you have this, the sweeps are identical on all shots. You just apply them to different visuals. The repetition gains you the muscle memory to make it automated. No different than attaining a solid stroke through repetition, you attain consistent sweeps through a similar process. [BONUS: if your stroke is not yet consistent, this exercise will also improve your stroke consistency, which is imperative for any aiming system!] I used these two shots as my foundation to learning the sweeps. Once it comes, you'll know it. The rest of the shots get easier quickly.

Stan also gives some solid additional information in a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KwI_62Npos

Last edited:

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My recommendation is along the same lines as mohrt with a variation recommended by Stevie Moore. Use a laser to set up the hole reinforcers/donuts for a straight shot corner to corner. Set up CB donut about 2 diamonds out then set up OB donuts about a diamond apart for each. Now practice straight shots using CTE from both sides. If you hold your finish, you can also see if your stroke is straight and if it is off line, you can get an idea of where you're off. You might see that you're hitting off center. You might see an alignment issue. You might see both and be sinking balls with offsetting errors.

I took this a step further by placing a couple of extra donuts just in front of and behind the CB (along the straight line). This helps see your cue alignment even better. By putting the donuts behind the CB, it allows me to "cheat" and see that I've come into CCB. You're supposed to be offset when you get your visuals. The donuts behind the CB will appear offset (or at least should) when you obtain your visual. You can see the donuts come into alignment as you make your visual sweep.

This has helped me a ton. Stevie Moore told me (as did Stan) the visual sweep isn't much movement right to left or vice versa. Once I started drilling like this, that became incredibly evident. As Mohrt said, the visual sweeps are the same regardless of the shot. Using a known reference to calibrate the sweeps only makes sense. I highly recommend using the donuts for whatever ball positions you're going to use. If you're trying to calibrate, calibrate perfectly from fixed positions.

Stevie has emphasized precision, precision and more precision. This is far and away the biggest difference I've seen with the Pros having had the opportunity to play at the table with Stan, Stevie, John Brumback and Gene Albrecht. Their precise execution in all aspects of their game is off the charts. Even if I were to scrap Pro One (which isn't even a remote thought btw), what I've learned about PSR, alignment and my stroke make my efforts with Pro One worth it 100x over. Pro One is beyond awesome if you have a strong commitment to improving your game. If you're already a really high level player, I'm guessing it should come relatively easy. If you're a relative novice like me with some fundamentals flaws, it may drive you crazy with frustration at times. However, it will make those fundamentals flaws show themselves which will lead you to overall improvement if you're willing to put in the table time and stay the course.

If you can possibly get a lesson(s) from Stan or Stevie, do it! I don't believe there is anything you can do that will improve your game more. Both those guys are simply fantastic.

Last edited:

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
My recommendation is along the same lines as mohrt with a variation recommended by Stevie Moore. Use a laser to set up the hole reinforcers/donuts for a straight shot corner to corner. Set up CB donut about 2 diamonds out then set up OB donuts about a diamond apart for each. Now practice straight shots using CTE from both sides. If you hold your finish, you can also see if your stroke is straight and if it is off line, you can get an idea of where you're off. You might see that you're hitting off center. You might see an alignment issue. You might see both and be sinking balls with offsetting errors.

I took this a step further by placing a couple of extra donuts just in front of and behind the CB (along the straight line). This helps see your cue alignment even better. By putting the donuts behind the CB, it allows me to "cheat" and see that I've come into CCB. You're supposed to be offset when you get your visuals. The donuts behind the CB will appear offset (or at least should) when you obtain your visual. You can see the donuts come into alignment as you make your visual sweep.

This has helped me a ton. Stevie Moore told me (as did Stan) the visual sweep isn't much movement right to left or vice versa. Once I started drilling like this, that became incredibly evident. As Mohrt said, the visual sweeps are the same regardless of the shot. Using a known reference to calibrate the sweeps only makes sense. I highly recommend using the donuts for whatever ball positions you're going to use. If you're trying to calibrate, calibrate perfectly from fixed positions.

Stevie has emphasized precision, precision and more precision. This is far and away the biggest difference I've seen with the Pros having had the opportunity to play at the table with Stan, Stevie, John Brumback and Gene Albrecht. Their precise execution in all aspects of their game is off the charts. Even if I were to scrap Pro One (which isn't even a remote thought btw), what I've learned about PSR, alignment and my stroke make my efforts with Pro One worth it 100x over. Pro One is beyond awesome if you have a strong commitment to improving your game. If you're already a really high level player, I'm guessing it should come relatively easy. If you're a relative novice like me with some fundamentals flaws, it may drive you crazy with frustration at times. However, it will make those fundamentals flaws show themselves which will lead you to overall improvement if you're willing to put in the table time and stay the course.

If you can possibly get a lesson(s) from Stan or Stevie, do it! I don't believe there is anything you can do that will improve your game more. Both those guys are simply fantastic.

I like this idea of using a straight line. I'll incorporate it into my practice. Thanks!

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good advice. I've helped a lot of people over the phone or via email, but one thing you can't see is how the person is moving into the ball, if their fundamentals are correct, if they are visualizing the lines correctly, etc. All of that is very important, a definite trait of a top player vs. even strong amateurs - consistency and precision in execution - no matter how they aim or shoot.

Scott

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member

Appreciate all the advice and will try it...THANKS!!

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure Stan will reply, I'll give a bit of my own experience. I grappled with this too, trying to figure out how to make the sweeps consistent. Finally I just bit the bullet and started practicing with just the fundamentals.

I kept it simple by taking the first two shots from the dvd (28-38 and 10-5) and shot them each 50-100 times in a row. Pay close attention to how you sweep into CCB. Find the sweep that sends the ball straight to the pocket. Shoot them over and over. Then do it again the following session. Shoot until the sweeps are completely automatic. It can take days to weeks, just keep at it until it clicks. Do this first thing at each session.

These two shots teach you the basic sweeps: left and right. Once you have this, the sweeps are identical on all shots. You just apply them to different visuals. The repetition gains you the muscle memory to make it automated. No different than attaining a solid stroke through repetition, you attain consistent sweeps through a similar process. [BONUS: if your stroke is not yet consistent, this exercise will also improve your stroke consistency, which is imperative for any aiming system!] I used these two shots as my foundation to learning the sweeps. Once it comes, you'll know it. The rest of the shots get easier quickly.

Stan also gives some solid additional information in a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KwI_62Npos

In Stan's tutorial he refers to 4 visuals. I know that there is CTEL and Edge to A,B, & C. What are the other two? Is one of them the resulting line to the "fixed CB?" I know now that I should have followed all of the threads from the beginning of all of this but after my initial confusion I more or less gave up on the concept. However, I know now that I am not going to get this out of my head until I understand it. So please bear with me as I try to catch up.

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Stan's tutorial he refers to 4 visuals. I know that there is CTEL and Edge to A,B, & C. What are the other two? Is one of them the resulting line to the "fixed CB?" I know now that I should have followed all of the threads from the beginning of all of this but after my initial confusion I more or less gave up on the concept. However, I know now that I am not going to get this out of my head until I understand it. So please bear with me as I try to catch up.

For a cut to the left:

1. CTEL + left CB edge to A
2. CTEL + left CB edge to B
3. left CB edge to C
4. left CB 1/8 to right OB 1/8

Vice versa for a cut to the right.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
For a cut to the left:

1. CTEL + left CB edge to A
2. CTEL + left CB edge to B
3. left CB edge to C
4. left CB 1/8 to right OB 1/8

Vice versa for a cut to the right.

I've always used left CB *edge* to right OB 1/8. There is also right CB edge to right OB 1/8 for close nearly straight-in shots.

pablocruz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My suggestion is to keep doing what you are doing, and you will fall right into it!
You will have trained your vision center and muscle memory that you will see the
shot correctly and fall right into the shotline!! This was my experience!
Like riding a bike with training wheels! Once you take the training wheels off you
are a little wobbly, but once you find the center underneath you, off you go, never looking back!!
Remember to slide into your shot and the eyes will lock onto the shot!!

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to all for helping me see the obvious. Sometimes this makes me feel that I'm brain dead. 6 1/2 mm calls for incredible precision. Tomorrow I am putting down a tape strip with a center line. I don't have my own table so I use one of the tables at our Clubhouse and the regulars would flip if they came in and saw a table full of donuts. But very early or very late and I will have no problem.