Advice on a Table.

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally have a spot for a table in my house. I cannot fit a 9 footer comfortably in the room being allocated, so I am looking for an 8 footer. If it was completely up to me, I'd probably just bite the bullet and get a new 7 foot Diamond, but I have a MAJOR problem...My wife does not like the look of them. She also does not like the look of GC, or basically anything that does not look like a damn antique with "gorgeous" curved legs, and nice wood stained in a color she currently deems nice. (Cloth has to be the right color also, but I'll be going new Simonis which appears to have many color options that will work) Connelly, Olhausen, and Golden West seem to be my obvious options based on local searches, I think in that order... Questions I have:

• What do you think is the best maker to target for 8 foot "furniture\pretty" tables? (Yes, I feel dirty for even saying that...looks have never entered the equation for me, but I guess something is better than nothing???)
  • Opinions on Connelly versus Olhausen?
  • If I get a good table mechanic to setup the Golden West, will it play reasonably well? (I've seen nightmare posts here, so I am certainly hesitant...)
  • Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace essentially the best online places for finding used?
  • Can a good table mechanic easily tighten the pockets on any of the above?
  • Assuming the rails are not fantastic, how much approximately to get quality rubber and installed?

I am in the Seattle area, certainly open to private message on recommendations for a good table guy?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. As an FYI, buying a 9 foot diamond, placing it in our living room which is our biggest room, and telling my wife tough luck, is not an option. I'm operating under the hope that something is better than nothing, and that something can be made to be pretty good for just little old me with friends from time to time...

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally have a spot for a table in my house. I cannot fit a 9 footer comfortably in the room being allocated, so I am looking for an 8 footer. If it was completely up to me, I'd probably just bite the bullet and get a new 7 foot Diamond, but I have a MAJOR problem...My wife does not like the look of them. She also does not like the look of GC, or basically anything that does not look like a damn antique with "gorgeous" curved legs, and nice wood stained in a color she currently deems nice. (Cloth has to be the right color also, but I'll be going new Simonis which appears to have many color options that will work) Connelly, Olhausen, and Golden West seem to be my obvious options based on local searches, I think in that order... Questions I have:

• What do you think is the best maker to target for 8 foot "furniture\pretty" tables? (Yes, I feel dirty for even saying that...looks have never entered the equation for me, but I guess something is better than nothing???)
  • If I get a good table mechanic to setup the Golden West, will it play reasonably well? (I've seen nightmare posts here, so I am certainly hesitant...)
  • Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace essentially the best online places for finding used?
  • Assuming the rails are not fantastic, how much approximately to get quality rubber and installed?

I am in the Seattle area, certainly open to private message on recommendations for a good table guy?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. As an FYI, buying a 9 foot diamond, placing it in our living room which is our biggest room, and telling my wife tough luck, is not an option. I'm operating under the hope that something is better than nothing, and that something can be made to be pretty good for just little old me with friends from time to time...
Not a lot of difference in home-style tables. Olhausen's are pretty well made. Easiest/cheapest way to tighten is to just use shims. Doing a sub-rail extension would not be worth it as it would cost as much as the table to do it right.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have the 9' Paragon since we wanted a table that looked like a home table but played like a commercial table. They make an 8' version, also.

The legs are not everyone's cup of tea. However, I can say after having the table a few months, the whole style grows on you. We haven't quite finished the room, so I haven't posted pictures yet (except for the table shown in my Avatar).

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. I saw that paragon, and would have gone with that in a heartbeat if my wife was into it. She does not favor it.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you have a substantial budget, check out the billiard restorations website. She may approve of one of those. Or, purchase her a pair of matching 1 carat (minor flawed grade) Diamond earrings and get the Paragon.

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies. I went with a Golden West. New Rubber, cutting at 4.5, and new felt. Not exactly what I wanted, but my wife approved of the look, and I needed to pull the trigger prior to approval being revoked.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not exactly what I wanted, but my wife approved of the look, and I needed to pull the trigger prior to approval being revoked.
LOL Smart man! We all know how that goes, my wife is apt to change her mind at a moments notice. I suspect that she isn't alone in that regard.

289FIA

I bought a Diamond Furniture model table back in June, 2020. Wanted to order a specific model and they advised they had discontinued them at the end of 2019 .. but had ONE model .. the Jubilee body with Arkansas model legs .. in Oak .. in the warehouse. I bought that had it stained cherry .. and will have it installed finally in about 10 days (we were building an addition to our home for a man cave). You might check with Diamond to see if any of their distributors might have a furniture model left? Mine is an 8' table.