Advice on refinishing

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This isn't a question about how to, but a question of should I refinish? I have a Gilbert player from 1998. Not fancy. Re-cut points on maple forearm and reverse points on butt. I am currently shooting with it but I doubt that I will in future. I'll just keep it for a collection. The cue has several chips and scratches. The shaft's brass rings have aged to appear silver and don't match the rings on butt. There are slight rolls on butt (at handle) and both shafts. All minor and have not effected my play.

Should I send it to Andy to refinish or not refinish at all? Is it more valuable in a slightly flawed state than sharp and refinished by the original CM?

I know you are CMs and not collectors, but I value your opinions more so.

Thanks in advance,
DJ

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This isn't a question about how to, but a question of should I refinish? I have a Gilbert player from 1998. Not fancy. Re-cut points on maple forearm and reverse points on butt. I am currently shooting with it but I doubt that I will in future. I'll just keep it for a collection. The cue has several chips and scratches. The shaft's brass rings have aged to appear silver and don't match the rings on butt. There are slight rolls on butt (at handle) and both shafts. All minor and have not effected my play.

Should I send it to Andy to refinish or not refinish at all? Is it more valuable in a slightly flawed state than sharp and refinished by the original CM?

I know you are CMs and not collectors, but I value your opinions more so.

Thanks in advance,
DJ

I would definitely have Andy do the work on the cue, without hesitation.

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would definitely have Andy do the work on the cue, without hesitation.

Thanks for your comment. This is what I am leaning towards. Of course, if I were going to send it to someone, I would never hesitate sending it one of the great's like Andy Gilbert. Also, being his cue, it would seem appropriate to me also.

I guess my only hesitation, is the historian inside of me. Part of me wants to leave it as it was first created. I know, I know, ... it will now be altered but restored to its past newness. But, it is now 15 years old and it has been played with...which is awesome (but has caused some flaws). Anyway, it has a lot of character, I guess.

I'm surprised there's not many other opinions about restoring cues from others on here. There's usually no loss for opinions here. Restoring to past glory vs. ageless beauty?