Aiming systems are OVER RATED!!!

av84fun

Banned
Cuebacca said:
I agree. However, the systems I've seen discussed on here do not take into account the non-ideal conditions anyway. I understand that there could be systems that do, but I wasn't commenting on them. :)

Gotcha. Thanks!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
raw geometry cannot work to perfection

Yes, it can, especially on questions of geometry. What geometry proves about these aiming systems has nothing to do with "real life conditions" like the effects of equipment or spin or human error or whatever. They're simple geometric facts that don't change with conditions, like this one:

"Gaps between the system's contact areas on the OB equator = the system's blind areas on the table for that shot."

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Ballistic Billiards

Step up your Game!
Silver Member
f systems

now, i can't drawl real good but i'll give it a go.
contact points vs. aim lines ass-uming your aim line is that of the stick
and center hit.

CueTable Help

you see that the cue ball/ghost ball is a perfect zero degree cut, to center pocket
you also see that when you move to a #4 cut, you're no longer aiming at the object ball

-cOOp

Big C said:
Not trying to piss on anyone's cornflakes, just trying to make a point here. There are so many posts regarding aiming systems. For the purpose of what? How in the world does anyone expect to pockets balls using some arbitrary aiming system without a fundamentally sound stroke? All these aiming systems do what they were intended and that is to give the shooter some frame of reference to help take the guess work out of the shot. I think if people focused more on their body alignment and setup before the shot, then a lot of the aiming will just take care of itself. Also, the finish position of your head, backhand and cuetip will tell you a lot about why you missed the shot.
I'm not a BCA instructor, but I did learn from one of the best. If you haven't taken a lesson from one, I highly recommend that you do. You can learn more from them in the first 15 minutes about your stroke that you can in 15 years with trial and error. Magical cues and spiders only do one thing and that's fleecing you out of your hard earned money. Ok, I'm done. Thank you for reading. Now go beat someone with a stick!:D

Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication.

av84fun

Banned
Patrick Johnson said:
Yes, it can, especially on questions of geometry. What geometry proves about these aiming systems has nothing to do with "real life conditions" like the effects of equipment or spin or human error or whatever. They're simple geometric facts that don't change with conditions, like this one:

"Gaps between the system's contact areas on the OB equator = the system's blind areas on the table for that shot."

pj
chgo

OK, while I have admitted to giving you good cause to contradict me, it seems now that you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

My comment that raw geometry can't always work to perfection stands as correct. Just one of the MANY examples of that is the "angle in=angle out" geometric theory of banking.

In fact, as you know perfectly well, the force with which you hit the ball (which is a factor unknown to any geometry text book) will RADICALLY alter the rebound angle and therefore, the statement that geometry, in and of itself, cannot work to perfection is irrefutable.

Regards,
Jim

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
Simple. Get him to commit to a particular contact point (which is clearly given by the system) and then put up two blocker balls that let the cue ball hit the object ball only on that spot. But I don't think he'll accept the action that way.

Ofcourse I will, I can manipulate the aim spot comming from the pocket, thats why it works, at some point from the pocket is the correct contact point, or can't you see that? lol...

I ask for that thread to be removed because it was a bad joke, you cant disprove it, or prove it..

SPINDOKTOR

Last edited: