Air stroking....

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AIR STROKING.

JUST STOP IT... it's really starting to get freaking annoying, air stroking 12-20 times, almost getting down on a shot, back up, airstroke, airstroke, etc.... it's almost a pose at this point.

When did this become normal? I get using a few airstrokes to get chalk off the shaft, etc. but this is starting to get stupid. Take a few and get on with it.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You beat me to this thread. Its 'profiling, look at me ,I'm kool. Some good player did it and now the herd does it. I dont mind too much when the great players do some of it, but now all the local short-stops and even ball-bangers ( and the suckers ) do it.
I love it when they do all that crap, and then screw up!
Its like when Sigel started breaking the balls ,taking the cue into the cloth after the CB was gone...it did nothing, but every wanna-bee started doing it. Screwed up soo many tables...its a joke.

Mousa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question is why does it seem to bother you that much? You should expect every single shot to last 30 seconds! That way, you will be a lot less frustrated!

Mousa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And you know, even though the tournament our minds are focused on is the Mosconi, the first person that came to my mind when I read your post, was Ko Pin Yi at the World Championship. Most of his matches, but especially against SvB at the final during the break. He would do it 10 times, go down, back up and again! It didn't bother me, it actually looked funny!

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
The real question is why are any of you questioning their techniques? You obviously don't play anywhere near their speed or else you would be at their level...haters!

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haha, never considered this would bother people. I do it. Not a ton, but definitely some. I do the same thing with short game shots in golf...it lets me mentally get a feel for the force I need to apply when striking the ball. I visualize in my head the shot I want to execute and airstroke until I get the right feel to go with my visualization. It works for me I think. I've definitely noticed a difference on the golf course when I do it vs when I don't. Haven't really tried not doing it in pool to compare because after that realization in golf I've just always done it.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I do 2 pumps and get down on the shot,
Helps me slow done and think more about what im gonna do

Last edited:

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The real question is why are any of you questioning their techniques? You obviously don't play anywhere near their speed or else you would be at their level...haters!
Your post was ok right up the 'haters' crap
I dont play like them, but Im not playin them. I'm playin the 'profilin' ball-bangers that do.
But, dont call me a hater, unless you're going to say it to my face....

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
I didn't know it was called air stroking but I started doing it in August last year when I started aiming while standing.
This was the advice I received from from a trainer.
My game started improving and being more consistent.
The air stroking helps get my stroke and grip grooved and in line with the stick.
Then when I get down, my stroke is straight.

Based on what a local cousin of Efren told me, I also aim over the cue ball.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I recall brandon started this, it kind of bother me then cause i'm not a fan of his and it maybe bugs me now to see others do it, but not enough to start a thread. If that was the case i'd start one about people who put the chalk down up side down on the table or walk around to see what they left me after a shot.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I recall brandon started this, it kind of bother me then cause i'm not a fan of his and it maybe bugs me now to see others do it, but not enough to start a thread. If that was the case i'd start one about people who put the chalk down up side down on the table or walk around to see what they left me after a shot.
Lol.Yes! All that too! The chalk is terrible...Esp when they BANG it on the rail after yet
another ball that they think they should make....And , they miss balls every game, but still get madd about it....nutz.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't understand why Bergman did it until I was (and still am) perfecting my stroke. I find that air stroking helps me feel when my shoulder is in the right place to have my whole arm on the shot line.

Usually 2-3 strokes and then down. It also serves as a way to keep your mind on something familiar when you're nervous.

Either way, if it doesn't help you then don't do it. Just because you don't see a reason for it doesn't mean others don't.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It also helps keep tension out of the arm and the arm nice and loose. I really don't understand why it would bother anyone, let alone enough to make a post about it??

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It also helps keep tension out of the arm and the arm nice and loose. I really don't understand why it would bother anyone, let alone enough to make a post about it??

Neil I don't think it's a matter of bothering someone (maybe the OP) but it's just one of the things that maybe someone does a bit too much, like maybe the guy who bounces the basketball 15 times to take his free throw.
Maybe if someone did something at certain times but there's always that one thing that a person does more often than you'd like to remember.

jGrz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Usually 2-3 airstrokes and I am down, I have always done it as part of my routine. It helps me setup my grip hand as I have a tendency to choke up too much

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to be a very contagious desease so everybody should watch out for any symptoms!
:lmao:

I really think that their shafts simply have a crappy sticky finish and their hands are sweaty.
Instead of properly finishing the shaft and using a glove against the sticky feeling they do this funny routine :D

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I def don't have a problem with 2 or 3... almost everyone takes a few, from Efren on down. Standing there air stroking 20-25 times... not so much. Try playing someone who does that (I have)... it'll drive you crazy. Do your PSR, take a few, get on with it.