Aluminium weight bolt

johnqbs

john@qbs
Silver Member
I have an old Meucci cue I just got a few days ago. the weight is 20.6 way to heavy for me. it has a 3 inch 3/8 x 16 steel bolt with out the bolt
the cue is what I like 19.4 . I don't like not to have a bolt in it. I removed a bolt from a m-4 and the butt end fell off. what I want to know can some one get me a aluminium bolt or make me one. Let me ask this question. I don't like an empty hole in a cue where the weight shoud be
can I take a wood dowell and turn it down and leave a head on it and glue it in to take the place of the bolt. If that would be the way to fill the hole
would that cause the cue to make a strange sound. after dowell is glued in could be a problem to get out. Give me your take on this.
thanks, john

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Either aluminum, or nylon bolt could work. Depends on what type of head on the bolt that is required. Some are flathead with the bumper screwed to it, some are round head, sunk in and a bumper that pushes in to a mating hole. Home depot may have the nylon bolt to do it with if it mates up correctly. The only reason to put one back in, IMO, is only to make sure the butt cap doesn't fall off.....which, I believe shoudn't happen in any cue that is designed correctly, but some makers believe opposite of me.:wink: I build mine with the butt cap attached to the cue, then a weight bolt is added, if needed.
Dave

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an old Meucci cue I just got a few days ago. the weight is 20.6 way to heavy for me. it has a 3 inch 3/8 x 16 steel bolt with out the bolt
the cue is what I like 19.4 . I don't like not to have a bolt in it. I removed a bolt from a m-4 and the butt end fell off. what I want to know can some one get me a aluminium bolt or make me one. Let me ask this question. I don't like an empty hole in a cue where the weight shoud be
can I take a wood dowell and turn it down and leave a head on it and glue it in to take the place of the bolt. If that would be the way to fill the hole
would that cause the cue to make a strange sound. after dowell is glued in could be a problem to get out. Give me your take on this.
thanks, john

Just as a possible quick cheap way, take your bolt to a plumbing supply. They may have a match in nylon. Many plumbing bolts that are used on toilets are 3/8 x 16 nylon. You may be able to get something you can easily modify if need be for like $.50.

johnqbs

john@qbs
Silver Member
Weight bolt change

i just wanted to let every one know that I appreciate all the input and help. I did go to home depot and found a 3/8 x 16 plastic bolt it worked out fine after I cleaned glue out of hole. It was a pain to make it happen.
The metal bolt was glued in . I heated up the bolt to get it out. the way to heat the bolt that works good for me is I use my drill with a 1/8 bit and center drill bolt after i went down about 3/4 inch I could smell glue breaking down It came out easy no problems. with the plastic bolt That put my cue at 19.4 oz and a balance of 18. inches for me it can't get much better than that. thanks to all, john