Amboyna Burl & Koa Questions

blackhawk357m

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never used either of these woods till now. I am building a cue using a cored amboyna burl forearm and sleeve, with a cored koa handle. My 2 questions are:

1. The amboyna is developing a whitish color "film" on it. If I wipe it off with den. alcohol and epoxy seal coat it...will it come back?

2. The Koa. Do you just epoxy seal this, or does this wood need some kind of prep before doing so?

I tried using the search function to no avail...or I'm just an idiot and didn't search right lol. TIA,

Nathan Brugmann

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my experience with amboyna burl the white is it oxidizing (whether or not kiln dried). It does not seem to happen if it has been stabilized or if it is otherwise sealed.
Interestingly enough, I haven't had any white form on the pieces of narra I have (same tree).
Would be interested in feedback from anyone else.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I always thought the white was a fungus growing on it. But I could be wrong. Just put a seal coat of epoxy on both woods and you are then good to go for the finish clear coats. The white has never come back on me after sealing.

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always thought the white was a fungus growing on it. But I could be wrong. Just put a seal coat of epoxy on both woods and you are then good to go for the finish clear coats. The white has never come back on me after sealing.

Definitely a possibility (one I think I like better than my "oxidizing" theory).

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have had it on some of my amboyna squares, that had no sealer on the cut sides....I wiped them with bleach, then sealed them and had no other issues.
Dave