American Rotation

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So how many people have tried Joe Tucker's game American Rotation? I have been playing it quite a bit since I found it. I am a banger, but I believe this game has improved my 9 foot 9 ball and 10 ball game a lot.

Playing the 15 ball Rotation has improved my position play, and thought process.

Playing Call Shot/Call Safe has improved my safety play, along with helping me to commit to a shot rather than playing a two way shot.

Having the last 5 balls worth two points versus the one point for the others has helped my end game. Stressing the need to get out.

I have asked Joe questions at times, and he always gets back to me in a timely matter, which is impressive, and with the Android App it is easy to keep score, find rules, and other info.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too am a banger (low to mid C) and am playing in my first session. I love it and do think it has helped both my 9 ball and 8 ball games. My safety play has definitely improved and my thought process is completely different now when looking at a layout. It is also nice that there are great players like Mike Dechaine in my league who I get to take a beaten from lol. But where else can you play a 2 hour match against a pro for $15???? :thumbup:

Last edited:

gibson

gibson
As one who grew up playing a variety of pool games which seem no longer to be in favor, I guess the obvious question is this: Why the need to change the game? I know that the popularity of nine ball ruined the game of rotation. Rotation was a longer game, and the money turnover was a lot slower. The thing I remembered was the shot skills of some of the older guys (who are probably all dead by now). You would see some really inventive shots in this game, especially caroms, banks and kick shots. I know I am on the short side of history on this one, but I am sentimental about my memories and hate to see it die all together.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I've learned 2 new games in the last year or two. Bonus Ball and American Rotation. I have a set of bonus balls. I like that game, but teaching it to most any player is difficult.

I've played 2 sessions of Am Ro. I love the game and it is easily learned. The game brings elements of a # of games into play. :thumbup:

JeremiahGage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Albuquerque, we are just finishing up one of the American Rotation round-robin formats to qualify for the nationals at the BCAPL event in July, with our playoffs this weekend.

The rules of the game are well thought out and the winner is typically the player that shoots better. The randomness of the break is taken out due to getting ball-in-hand, no matter if you scratch or don't make a ball.

American Rotation seems to be meant to promote better pool playing, and I look forward to playing more!

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.....American Rotation seems to be meant to promote better pool playing, and I look forward to playing more!

Very True... This is the type of game pool and leagues need. I wish there were more rooms available that promoted this.

R

MitchDAZB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The randomness of the break is taken out due to getting ball-in-hand, no matter if you scratch or don't make a ball.
This is a shame because in 61, it's in the opening sequence after the break where one learns to kick and play safe. As for taking the randomness out of the break and BiH even after a scratch, that sounds sort of millennial.

The other thing you don't see in AmRo is somebody shoot a carom, because there's no scoring incentive to do so.

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
This is a shame because in 61, it's in the opening sequence after the break where one learns to kick and play safe. As for taking the randomness out of the break and BiH even after a scratch, that sounds sort of millennial.

The other thing you don't see in AmRo is somebody shoot a carom, because there's no scoring incentive to do so.

You're comparing apples and oranges. That's like saying "well one pocket is a shame because you only get to shoot into one pocket, unlike 8 ball where you can use all 6." AMRO has a set of rules that have a purpose for learning a set of skills, just like 61 rotation does. They're just different games, BOTH of which should be learned and played.