Analyze my game

David Beck

Let us to Billiards!
Silver Member
Just got my table setup, not even a spot on it yet. 7 foot table only, and the room is still kinda cramped in a couple places. Those French Doors sure do come in handy though.

This is the first time I've seen myself play. It's funny how much what you think you're doing and what you actually are differ. There would be more/better footage, but the battery died after that game. I might be able to get another video tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm not so much concerned with the gameplay as I am with the fundamentals at this point. One thing I noticed is that my grip hand is under my body, and not in line with my shoulder/elbow like I had imagined it being. I still lack any semblance of a preshot routine, and my stance probably isn't right and is probably what is throwing my arm off. Also I drop my elbow on most shots.

If anyone could offer any advice I'd be very happy to hear it. Thanks.

And feel free to comment on anything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dtakV3tldY

Last edited:

ioCross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been statistically proven that listening to eminem while you play pool degrades your game by 27%.

Altho it is worth mentioning that 65% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Aside from that, your stroke seems to be a bit too elongagated, as in you want to keep your stroke about an inch or so between each other. A better way to explain it would be to draw an imaginary black line on your shaft where your bridge hand rests on the shaft, and another line about an inch from that one, and make sure whenever you stroke you never stroke past those two lines.

Also, you want to have your bridge hand as close to the cueball as possible as the further away your hand is from the cue, the more chance the cue has of missing the point of contact.

David Beck

Let us to Billiards!
Silver Member
ioCross said:
It's been statistically proven that listening to eminem while you play pool degrades your game by 27%.

Altho it is worth mentioning that 65% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Aside from that, your stroke seems to be a bit too elongagated, as in you want to keep your stroke about an inch or so between each other. A better way to explain it would be to draw an imaginary black line on your shaft where your bridge hand rests on the shaft, and another line about an inch from that one, and make sure whenever you stroke you never stroke past those two lines.

Also, you want to have your bridge hand as close to the cueball as possible as the further away your hand is from the cue, the more chance the cue has of missing the point of contact.

Haha. I was thinking my game went down by about 27% as soon as that song came on. Luckily my playlist is about 55% country, 53% rock, and 2% rap or I'd really be screwed.

I've been aiming for about a 9 inch bridge, but as I play it just seems to get longer until it reaches about what was on the video. Good point with the bridge length consistency. Thanks for advice.

David Beck

Let us to Billiards!
Silver Member
pwd72s said:
I'm not good enough to be critical. Nice run, man...nice run.

Lol. Thanks. I'm gettin' there. Still got a long way to go. Luckily those side pockets are huge. :p

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
David Beck said:
One thing I noticed is that my arm is under my body, and not straight down like I had imagined it being. I still lack any semblance of a preshot routine, and my stance probably isn't right and is probably what is throwing my arm off. Also I drop my elbow on most shots.
It's not possible to analyze your stroke in 2 minutes - most of which is obstructed.

But one thing I noticed - as you pointed out - you are not at 90 degrees at your set position. Instead, you have a little forward angle. A serious side effect that I have seen result from this is a "pull" to the inside on firmly struck balls. This may result in off center hits (to the right of center), more deflection, miscues, missing balls, etc., when shooting hard. You will see this manifested as unintended right spin. Don't worry too much about it, as lots of straight pool players used such a stroke and ran hundreds upon hundreds of balls. It's just something that might cause problems - not something that will for sure.

As for your elbow drop: you have it in place when you contact the cue ball. No problems if it works for you. Lots of people drop their elbows, despite the fact that it is not the method taught in the SPF school. But, keeping your elbow from dropping is a great reference point for evaluation, and one less thing to go wrong. You might give it a try.

-td

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
it's all about knowing the run, pocketing balls, and position period. not so much exact position but "area" and "line" position. meaning that you don't want to put yourself so far out of the general area or shot line for the next shot to make your efforts difficult to continue the run. speed control is one of the biggest factors and very important in making the former successful. as far as mechanics, imo as long as you can make balls consistently, leave yourself with area/line position and run balls, i wouldn't stress about it. the best advise i have is keep playin' and make an effort to watch others you think are better than you play. you'll allot that way.

David Beck

Let us to Billiards!
Silver Member
td873 said:
It's not possible to analyze your stroke in 2 minutes - most of which is obstructed.

But one thing I noticed - as you pointed out - you are not at 90 degrees at your set position. Instead, you have a little forward angle. A serious side effect that I have seen result from this is a "pull" to the inside on firmly struck balls. This may result in off center hits (to the right of center), more deflection, miscues, missing balls, etc., when shooting hard. You will see this manifested as unintended right spin. Don't worry too much about it, as lots of straight pool players used such a stroke and ran hundreds upon hundreds of balls. It's just something that might cause problems - not something that will for sure.

As for your elbow drop: you have it in place when you contact the cue ball. No problems if it works for you. Lots of people drop their elbows, despite the fact that it is not the method taught in the SPF school. But, keeping your elbow from dropping is a great reference point for evaluation, and one less thing to go wrong. You might give it a try.

-td

Thanks for the advice. One on one instruction would probably be best. The video is a little hard to make out, actually really hard. My stroke is straight as far as I can tell, but I do see what you mean about the side effects. I'm trying to get my fundamentals as good as I can now before they become too hard to break.